Lifting Cues

I’m doing my first meet soon and I don’t know exactly how the lifts are cued (that could be the wrong term I really have no idea) like when to press of the chest or when to rack, those kind of cues. If you could point me to a video or something that would be great. (I’m competing in the IPA meet in PA on June 22)

I could be wrong, because I have never actually done a meet, but I am fairly certain the commands are…

Squat: you unrack the bar and get your feet set in your own time. If the unrack is bad, you can even put the bar back and try again. Once your stance is set, the judge will say “squat”. squat to below paralell, stand up, and the judge will say “rack” after a second, and you put the weigth away

Bench: take the handoff in your own time, and bring the weight down to your chest, where it has to remain motionless until the judge says “press,” should be only a second or less. Once you lock it out, the judge will say “rack,” and you put it away

Deadlift: walk up to the weight and pull it haha. Hold it at the top for a second, until the judge says “down,” and you can’t drop the bar, have to put it down.

Hope that’s helpful, please somebody more experienced correct me if anything is wrong.

I agree with N.K. but here in Aus we have one more command.

Same as bench, but before you can lower it, you have to be motionless and extended at the top before you get ‘begin’ or ‘commence’ then rest is same.

Deadlift is same, can start pulling as soon as they call your name and then give you ‘bars loaded’.

The commands are different in each federation. I competed in the IPA a little over 2 years ago. It may have changed since, but these were the commands:

Squat – there was no squat command, just a “rack” command. You stand up with the weight (or walk it out), squat to where you feel is below parallel. You stand up with the weight with your knees locked out and the head judge will say “rack” and give you a hand motion.

Bench – there was no ‘start’ command, just a ‘press’ and a ‘rack’ command. Start with your arms erect, touch your chest with the bar such that the bar is motionless. At this point you will receive a ‘press’ command. When your arms are locked out, you’ll get a ‘rack’ command. Skipping either one of these commands will result in red lights (which is bad).

Deadlift – just a ‘down’ call when you are standing erect. Walk up to the bar like a boss, pick it up like you mean business and wait for the head judge to tell you how well your singlet fits you. Do a victory dance.

They may have instituted a 3rd command for the bench, which is the ‘start’ command. If you have any questions about this at all, I would highly recommend e-mailing the meet director and getting these clarified before the event. If you’re going to have someone handling you, make sure they are aware of these commands so they can coach you through them during your lift.

have you read your rule book…

I know … why waste your time…

[quote]frankjl wrote:
The commands are different in each federation. I competed in the IPA a little over 2 years ago. It may have changed since, but these were the commands:

Squat – there was no squat command, just a “rack” command. You stand up with the weight (or walk it out), squat to where you feel is below parallel. You stand up with the weight with your knees locked out and the head judge will say “rack” and give you a hand motion.

Bench – there was no ‘start’ command, just a ‘press’ and a ‘rack’ command. Start with your arms erect, touch your chest with the bar such that the bar is motionless. At this point you will receive a ‘press’ command. When your arms are locked out, you’ll get a ‘rack’ command. Skipping either one of these commands will result in red lights (which is bad).

Deadlift – just a ‘down’ call when you are standing erect. Walk up to the bar like a boss, pick it up like you mean business and wait for the head judge to tell you how well your singlet fits you. Do a victory dance.

They may have instituted a 3rd command for the bench, which is the ‘start’ command. If you have any questions about this at all, I would highly recommend e-mailing the meet director and getting these clarified before the event. If you’re going to have someone handling you, make sure they are aware of these commands so they can coach you through them during your lift.[/quote]

How long until they say the bar is motionless? Is it a really quick pause?

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:

[quote]frankjl wrote:

They may have instituted a 3rd command for the bench, which is the ‘start’ command. If you have any questions about this at all, I would highly recommend e-mailing the meet director and getting these clarified before the event. If you’re going to have someone handling you, make sure they are aware of these commands so they can coach you through them during your lift.[/quote]

How long until they say the bar is motionless? Is it a really quick pause?[/quote]

You are at the mercy of the head judge on that one. Sometimes it seems like no time, others it seems like an eternity. All of the rule books that I am familiar with simply state the bar has to be ‘motionless’ so it’s fairly quick.

I think I get the idea. I still have to email the meet director (I already have emailed him like a thousand times already lol)