Lifting Commentary Vids 1746 Raw Total @195

[quote]yolo84 wrote:
620x4x3 at 199lbs BW is incredible![/quote]
Thanks! it was actually 4 sets but the camera cut out on set 4 where I did 5 reps

[quote]mattis wrote:
This is great, will definately be following here![/quote]
Glad to have you along!

[quote]yolo84 wrote:
Can you give an example of your daily diet please. Do you follow carb cycling or any other particular protocol?

Are you big on workout nutrition (pre/during/post) or not really? An example if you are would be great.

Do you plan on moving up at all in the future? If so, to what class(es)?

What,if any, mobility and/or conditioning work do you do?

How many days a week do you train?[/quote]
Daily diet is mostly by feel, not currently counting calories or even macros. Most days I eat when I’m hungry throughout the day. main staples include peanut butter, trail mix, beef jerky, chicken, tuna, fruits, vegetables, cheese, milk, V8 fusion juice. I limit grains in my diet because I find that it helps reduce inflammation and so my recovery is faster.

As for workout nutrition before the gym I usually down 2 tablespoons of peanut butter and a glass of skim milk. I use a half serving of universals “torrent” during my session and take in some extra BCAAs while lifting and after my session I either have a protein shake or 16 oz of chocolate milk.

I plan on staying 198 as long as my body feels like it, I don’t really have to cut for more than a day to make 198 so going 220 full time is not really necessary at this point. I hope to reset every record I possibly can at 198 and then aim for the 220s but I don’t see myself wanting to go much bigger, I like to maintain my athleticism and I think with my frame much over 220 would start to get uncomfortable.

I do a lot of mobility work on off days and will be making a video in the near future going over my recovery days and pre gym rituals. Conditioning wise I run sheiko style training which conditions you pretty well in it’s own right. But I also run stairs, row, and train strongman events once a week

My current training system has me training 4 days a week.
Sunday: Sheiko: bench squat bench
Tuesday: Sheiko: Dead bench dead
Thursday:Sheiko: squat bench squat
Friday: strongman events, shoulder and deadlift accessories

[quote]DBasler wrote:
Strong work Ben, I will be following. Since your a humble guy I’m going to try to help you out on the numerous sponsorship questins.

If you are 22-years-old with world class strength for your weight class and the potential to break many records and be considered one of the best ever and are also well spoken then you will get sponsors.

If you are like the rest of us you had better be lifting and/or competing because you love it not because you are going to ever make money from it. Just consider yourself lucky that as hobbies go powerlifting is a pretty inexpensive and rewarding one.[/quote]

Thank you for this, I really do get the question a lot and feel like I want to help people but it really comes down to a big combination of hard work, excellence in your field, and luck of the draw. Again I appreciate it !

I decided to do some paused squats, wanted to talk to you about them. I would really like any productive information you might have to give. How often to do them, how long to pause, just anything.

I have only done them a few times and just kind of made up my own work out. I wanted to get 80% of my max in there for some pauses.

45x5
135x5
185x3
225x3
275x2
325x2x2
315x2
225x3

I know that’s pretty random. It felt good though. I was sore from it the next day. I probably should have done lower weight and more reps. But just wanted to ask you to talk about pause squats. And if you want to go into paused bench too, I won’t get mad. Thanks

[quote]BigBen198 wrote:
[/quote]

thanks for the response.

Got called into work today on not enough sleep. tough squat session today, but made it through

Definitely following.

Ben, would you mind sharing what program you found most effective before Sheiko?

Very, very inspiring stuff here.

bro ur insane
well spoken nd humble too
what shekho template are you following ??

Big lifts and sings Hallelujah wonderfully? I think im in love

[quote]BigRedMachine87 wrote:
I decided to do some paused squats, wanted to talk to you about them. I would really like any productive information you might have to give. How often to do them, how long to pause, just anything.

I have only done them a few times and just kind of made up my own work out. I wanted to get 80% of my max in there for some pauses.

45x5
135x5
185x3
225x3
275x2
325x2x2
315x2
225x3

I know that’s pretty random. It felt good though. I was sore from it the next day. I probably should have done lower weight and more reps. But just wanted to ask you to talk about pause squats. And if you want to go into paused bench too, I won’t get mad. Thanks[/quote]
I implement paused work to bring up strength out of the hole for squats and prep for meets with bench. I always feel that when you can pause a weight then you really own it. My method for pausing squats is basically to get to the lowest point of my squat and stop long enough to eliminate any stretch reflex or momentum that I could use to get back up. Weights and frequencies vary depending on how I’m feeling. Since pause squats are harder than regular squats I won’t do them if my regular squat weights are really tough for the day but when I’m feeling good I have done them up to 2 times in a week. Generally I wouldn’t suggest high reps with them, the more reps you do the more likely your form is to break down and if that happens at the bottom of a squat it is not a good situation. Sometimes I like to just pause the last rep in a set. If I am doing a triple and the weight feels relatively easy I may pause rep 3 just to get some more work in from the set. As far as benching is concerned I pause mainly for practice since it is required in meets. I go about it by the same guidelines though. I hope this answered at least something you were asking haha

[quote]ChrisH19 wrote:
Definitely following.

Ben, would you mind sharing what program you found most effective before Sheiko?

Very, very inspiring stuff here.[/quote]
Thank you!
Before sheiko The programs that I found most helpful were 5/3/1 for squats and overhead work, coan phillipi for deadlift, and I have yet to find a bench program that I really respond well too.

[quote]ronald1919 wrote:
bro ur insane
well spoken nd humble too
what shekho template are you following ??[/quote]
Thank you very much. I do a lot of editing to the program that I am running but I am basing the main work off of the CMS-MS# 2 program

[quote]cparker wrote:
Big lifts and sings Hallelujah wonderfully? I think im in love[/quote]
What can I say, I aim to please haha

At the end of each week I make a highlight video less for educational purposes and more for inspiration or motivation hope you guys enjoy it. This weeks theme is based off a quote that I told a friend when he was complaining about how his workouts were not going the way he wanted them too

got insanely inspired by Dan Greens 1950 no wrap total at 220 this weekend so this morning I decided that I would move squats to tuesday and instead to a mach meet in the gym instead went pretty awesome
squatted 605 w/o wraps
benched 355 paused
and pulled 705 before running out of room on the bar!
Gotta thank dan for the kick in the pants!!!
weighed 199 this morning, had I planned on doing this I would have dropped the extra pound to be a legit 198 but didn’t really care

I saw that too… now I can’t decide what’s more inspiring! Awesome how you just did that because of getting randomly fired up.

This is freakin’ awesome. Please keep posting!

[quote]jake_j_m wrote:
I saw that too… now I can’t decide what’s more inspiring! Awesome how you just did that because of getting randomly fired up.[/quote]
Funny how a little bit of motivation can get you to do some crazy stuff huh haha

[quote]Consul wrote:
This is freakin’ awesome. Please keep posting![/quote]
Thank you! As long as people keep following I will!

Strong work Ben- Squats and Deads were both awesome.

For some reason increased benching strength seems to come with age- I’m guessing 5 years from now you will be benching in the 425 range if you stay at 198.

[quote]DBasler wrote:
Strong work Ben- Squats and Deads were both awesome.

For some reason increased benching strength seems to come with age- I’m guessing 5 years from now you will be benching in the 425 range if you stay at 198. [/quote]so incredibly hoping you’re right haha

With your numbers I’m not going to give you any advice and you don’t have any weaknesses but my guess is you will add significant tricep size and strength anc your bench will shoot up. Good luck- your thread is an automatic read everyday.

[quote]DBasler wrote:
With your numbers I’m not going to give you any advice and you don’t have any weaknesses but my guess is you will add significant tricep size and strength anc your bench will shoot up. Good luck- your thread is an automatic read everyday. [/quote]Appreciate it brother! I’m hoping that your prediction is right because I could really use the extra cushion for my total that a better bench would provide!

some heavy pause squats and bench work

gotta lock that shit out even bro :wink:
Na but seriously ur a fucking tank keep it up man.