T Nation

Lifting Belt

Do you think one should begin to use a belt for support once 1.5xBW and greater weights are used for DL and Squat?

Just looking for some feedback.

Have you had back problems?

As just one recommendation, but from a pretty good source:

Fred Hatfield, “Doctor Squat,” recommended using a belt only for lifts of 90% 1RM or greater.

On that principle, no, you wouldn’t (unless there is some specific problem requiring you baby yourself) use the belt at for example double bodyweight, if your capability was 2.5 times.

But if your capacity was only 1.6 times, then under Hatfield’s principle yes you would use it for a 1.5 times bodyweight squat.

Myself, I cannot comment on use of the belt at squats approaching 1000 lb such as Hatfield was including in his discussion.

For more modest squats and DL’s and in reference to those with no problems, and not competing, I see no reason to become dependent on the belt even at 1RM.

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:

For more modest squats and DL’s and in reference to those with no problems, and not competing, I see no reason to become dependent on the belt even at 1RM.[/quote]

The reason I was told to get a belt was not to really prevent injury, but just to give me something to “push” my stomach out against on ME attempts. Which makes sense. But pushing out can definitely be learned sans belt.

I dunno. I’m inclined to agree with you, Mr. Roberts, but I asked for a belt for Christmas to try one out. We’ll see what happens. I can’t see myself using it on every set, but I can see myself using it when working in the 90%+ range. I only have modest squat/dead numbers as well (315ish squat and 415ish DL at a weight of 215lbs).

Sounds like a plan then.

I had hurt my back about two weeks ago, and since then have been doing just unilateral movements as much as possible. It’s better, but I still don’t want to get the same problem when I go back to pushing myself on those two lifts.

I mean to use the belt for sets of 5 or less, primarily for DL because my sets of 5 on squats don’t seem to affect me as much. I’m fairly sure the deadlift was what hurt my back last time, probably due to a fault in my form when moving up in weight.

Thanks for the responses.

I am sort of in the same boat as you, with similar numbers. I was pondering if it would be fun to mix it up and see what it would be like to lift with a belt, but I suppose really, at this point, I dont see a need.