Lifting Around Cardio

Hello,
After drinking beers and eating a lot of fast food I now need to lose some serious fat! and at the same time…My doctor says I have to do cardio everyday. Doctors orders!
It is supposed to help with my stress levels (long story).

I have been doing a walk/run cardio for 5 straight days now and I have to say that he is right. It really does help with stress levels. I guess its a good endorphin releaser.

My question is how do I lift around this 45 minutes of cardio that I have to do everyday?
I guess I have to pick a lighter volume workout?

BTW I tried a 45 minute weight training session the other day to see if I got the same “feel good” benefits. I didn’t. So I need to do this cardio. I know cardio sucks! I know that it eats muscle!

My stats:
37 yrs old
219 lbs.
5’ 11"
My scale says I am 30 % body fat!

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
jasaman

It’s going to be tough for anybody to comment without knowing more. Like what, aside from lowering your stress does he say your goals should be? Do you plan on getting anything whatsoever out of weight training? If so you will not be able to do 45 min. of cardio everyday.

Any workout routine you come up with that doesn’t have you drag assed with all that cardio isn’t going to do you much good for very long. Immediate “feel good” results are not worth pursuing at the expense of the permanent “actually good” results of a balanced training program that incorporates moderate cardio with a meaningful weight training component in my opinion.

A tentative opinion based on limited information. Also when it comes to fitness/weight training/nutrition most doctors are clueless at best. Call me the king of cynics, but doctors orders when it comes to these types of things aren’t too impressive. Again, I say that with limited knowledge and there my be some reason you haven’t mentioned that would negate everything I’ve just said.

However if you’re just a typical overweight guy who isn’t on the verge of a killing spree looking to dump some stress and live a lot longer, his advice, while better than nothing, isn’t the best way to accomplish this. I was more overweight than you, a type 2 diabetic and had astronomically high blood pressure, not to mention being a few years older. I fixed all three with serious iron and moderate cardio by myself in six months. I did have extensive previous experience with weight training and nutrition to be fair.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
It’s going to be tough for anybody to comment without knowing more. Like what, aside from lowering your stress does he say your goals should be? Do you plan on getting anything whatsoever out of weight training? If so you will not be able to do 45 min. of cardio everyday.

Any workout routine you come up with that doesn’t have you drag assed with all that cardio isn’t going to do you much good for very long. Immediate “feel good” results are not worth pursuing at the expense of the permanent “actually good” results of a balanced training program that incorporates moderate cardio with a meaningful weight training component in my opinion.

A tentative opinion based on limited information. Also when it comes to fitness/weight training/nutrition most doctors are clueless at best. Call me the king of cynics, but doctors orders when it comes to these types of things aren’t too impressive. Again, I say that with limited knowledge and there my be some reason you haven’t mentioned that would negate everything I’ve just said.

However if you’re just a typical overweight guy who isn’t on the verge of a killing spree looking to dump some stress and live a lot longer, his advice, while better than nothing, isn’t the best way to accomplish this. I was more overweight than you, a type 2 diabetic and had astronomically high blood pressure, not to mention being a few years older. I fixed all three with serious iron and moderate cardio by myself in six months. I did have extensive previous experience with weight training and nutrition to be fair.

[/quote]

Hello Tiribulus,
The reason the Doc said to do cardio everyday is because I get some social anxiety and stress. I know that the anxiety will pass in time because it is from my alcohol abuse. I have now been sober for 60 days tomorrow. Which is another reason he said the cardio would help.
It was either the cardio or meds!

Can you elaborate on how you lost your weight and got healthier?

What program? How much moderate cardio? What diet?

Thanks,
jasaman

[quote]jasaman wrote:
Hello Tiribulus,
The reason the Doc said to do cardio everyday is because I get some social anxiety and stress. I know that the anxiety will pass in time because it is from my alcohol abuse. I have now been sober for 60 days tomorrow. Which is another reason he said the cardio would help.

Thanks,
jasaman
[/quote]

I also had serious trouble with alcohol, (quite serious) it can be embarrassing to talk about, but we’re all friends here (mostly :slight_smile: .

I’m sure I’m not the only one who can help you, but gimme a little while. I’m at work and have a couple minor computer emrgencies I’m wrestling with at the moment. Have no fear, the answers are there and as long as you are committed, you can be better than you ever imagined.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
jasaman wrote:
Hello Tiribulus,

Thanks,
jasaman

I also had serious trouble with alcohol, (quite serious) it can be embarrassing to talk about, but we’re all friends here (mostly :slight_smile: .

I’m sure I’m not the only one who can help you, but gimme a little while. I’m at work and have a couple minor computer emrgencies I’m wrestling with at the moment. Have no fear, the answers are there and as long as you are committed, you can be better than you ever imagined.[/quote]

Hi Tiribulus,
Thanks for the words of encouragement! They really help! I appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks!

jasaman

Wake up early and do your cardio or do it at lunch. Fit it in.

You don’t have to run so it should not take away from your weight lifting.

A well paced 45 minute to 1 hr walk can only help your health.

Cardio is not the devil but over reliance on cardio at the expense of resistance training is a big mistake.

I usually do my lifting in the morning then do my cardio in the evening. Just my personal preference. If you can’t get to the gym twice in one day and time is an issue then maybe lift for 45min- 1hr then do 30-40 minutes of cardio.

[quote]jasaman wrote:
Hi Tiribulus,
Thanks for the words of encouragement! They really help! I appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks!

jasaman

[/quote]

I’m with Zap in saying that cardio is indeed not the devil, I’m a big proponent. A definition of “cardio” in your case would be helpful too. However, assuming anything intense enough for a real impact, 45 minutes every day will definitely get you healthier than you are now, but it will not leave you much for weight training, especially in your current condition.

Additionally weight training accomplishes 2 vital things. 1, it charges your metabolism and makes your body demand more calories. 2, it gives you more muscle which in turn also demands more calories.

Here’s what I didn’t do. I didn’t weigh myself so I’m not sure what I weighed before I started. I had a large bulbous viscerally fat belly that was flat out repulsive. I used that as my progress meter for a while.

I also didn’t jump in too hard too fast knowing that being in the abominable shape I was I would risk hurting myself and or having a heart attack.

I woke up one hung over shitty Saturday morning with my 10 year old daughter asking me if I would take her to the park like I promised and I mumbled something about not being up to it and when I sat up and saw the disappointment in her face the light went on. WTF am I doing?

I have this beautiful little girl and I’d rather be a drunken slob than trying to be the kind of man I’d like her to marry? Not to mention how useless I’d become to my wife. (in a nutshell)

I put together a full body routine using bodyweight exercises, household furniture and gallon milk jugs filled with water while we waited on approval for a home equity loan. I immediately also designed an ultra clean 40/40/20 diet of about 3000-3200 cals a day spread over six meals.

I didn’t even do any real cardio at all for about the first six weeks or so I don’t think. I just walked at lunch and took the stairs instead of the elevator at work.

After about the third week like this we got our loan and I bought a couple thousand dollars worth of carefully selected weight training equipment based on olympic plates along with a stationary bike. I spent a couple more weeks going light, but with some actual weights and then dug in for real.

The fat almost literally fell off my body and within 6 months I’d lost 10 inches off that disgusting waistline, my blood sugar was absolutely normal and my blood pressure, which I had checked by a lady at Sam’s Club before and after had gone from 180/110 to 118/82. All of this started in March of this year.

Now I do 25-30 minutes of cardio 3 times a week and train hard n heavy. People around me are wide eyed and dumbfounded, but not enough to do anything I say when I tell them how I did it.

Shit, I just got paged. I gotta go for now.

Edit:
I think I have a few more minutes.

One thing that is very misunderstood by a lot of folks is that while the actual muscle contractions themselves involved in weight training are anerobic, make no mistake, the overall aerobic effect on your metabolism in unavoidable. Big, compound weight training exercises will build your aerobic capacity and will also have you chewing up calories like mad for quite a while after you’re done.

If you don’t care about gaining muscle and are just concerned about getting out of danger and losing the fat, which there’s nothing wrong with, then do 45 minutes of cardio every day and watch your calories. Weight training will be a tone up type afterthought. Just know that if you stick with that you will wind up small and thin, but probably decently healthy overall, which there’s also nothing wrong with, but definitely not my preference.

If you have visions of yourself bigger and more muscular, yes friend this can be you, then 45 minutes a day is both unnecessary and counterproductive.

There goes my pager again :-[ , you’d think I’d be a millionaire with as important as they seem to think I am when they can’t figure something out.

Jasaman,

I too had my share of alcohol consumption couple with crappy eating. You will feel SO much better if you stick to an eating & training program for at least 30 days - then you’ll never want to stop.

don’t starve yourself, start off slow so that you always feel better and don’t get discouraged from training. there will come a day when you will start pushing yourself harder and harder and actually wanting to feel some pain!

I started my recomposition process a couple months ago at 275, I’m 5’11’. I’m under 250 today - and bodyfat wise greatly reduced. I’m blessed with the effects of muscle memory as I used to be around 8% @210-220. Another 20 LBS of fat off my ass (well, my gut mainly) and I’ll look good naked.

Throw out the booze for a while, you’ll feel great. Don’t freak out though if you kind of taste alcohol after a heavy squat set or something, I had that happen to me a few times. I heard it can take a while to get it all out of your system.

keep charging!

I got a couple more seconds again:
Yeah, like this guys is saying, if you decide you want to go for some muscle DO NOT go too low on calories. Doing so will stall your metabolism and actually make it harder to get leaner. Also, you need fat. You may even want to peruse the huge Anabolic Diet thread.

As utterly counterintuitive as it may seem, from where you sit now that way of eating combined with meaningful weight training will perform miracles in your life.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Wake up early and do your cardio or do it at lunch. Fit it in.

You don’t have to run so it should not take away from your weight lifting.

A well paced 45 minute to 1 hr walk can only help your health.

Cardio is not the devil but over reliance on cardio at the expense of resistance training is a big mistake.[/quote]

Hey Zap
Good idea. If I do the cardio in the morning then I could do the training at night. Well, I’ll try it at least.

j

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

I woke up one hung over shitty Saturday morning with my 10 year old daughter asking me if I would take her to the park like I promised and I mumbled something about not being up to it and when I sat up and saw the disappointment in her face the light went on. WTF am I doing?

I have this beautiful little girl and I’d rather be a drunken slob than trying to be the kind of man I’d like her to marry? Not to mention how useless I’d become to my wife. (in a nutshell)
[/quote]

Hey Tiribulus,
Wow, that’s similar to my story. I have a 8 year old son. I had been neglecting him and my wife for years. I never wanted to go anywhere with them. If I was hungover I couldn’t leave the house without some hair from the dog that bit me the night before! Usually a cold beer. But then I had to keep up the drinking and if I they wanted me to go to the movies for instance, that wouldn’t work because I couldn’t sit there for an hour and a half without some alcohol.

And if I wasn’t hungover I really couldn’t do anything either, unless it was at a restaurant or somewhere where I could order a drink. You see I couldn’t function out in the real world any more. This was a serious problem!

The last time I drank was a 3 week binge. This was something I thought I would never do. Binging? Not me. But I did! I thought I was going to be like Nicholas Cage in Leaving Las Vegas but for me it would be Leaving Los Angeles! I was so scared of withdrawals if I quit this binge.

So at the end of 3 weeks of binging that I layed in bed around 3 am and I asked God to take away my addiction and to help me sober up. And the next morning I quit and I haven’t had a craving since. Not one! I felt something change in me.
I was not a religous man at all! Am I now? Oh yes!

I feel so good now!
My wife loves the new me! I recently took my son up to Big Bear mountains for a weekend. Wow just writing that gives me chills!

I hope I’m not depressing anyone with my story. I just wanted to share it with you all.

I am sure I will learn a lot from you guys and gals on this board.

jasaman

[quote]jasaman wrote:
I hope I’m not depressing anyone with my story. I just wanted to share it with you all.

I am sure I will learn a lot from you guys and gals on this board.

jasaman[/quote]

You’re not depressing me. The weird thing about alcohol is that a very little bit is actually healthy and any more isn’t. In fact it becomes downright deadly in short order.

The will to change has to become greater than the will to stay the same and I know if left to my own devices I would’ve died 20 years early and maybe blind with no feet. I’ve always believed in God and must credit his grace with that will to change because I sure wasn’t looking for it.

I don’t want to turn your thread into a debate about the existence of God, I figure there may one or two already going in the get a life room though I’ve never looked.

I’m five years older than you and even after all that self abuse my tired old carcass is showing me that it’s not ready to retire just yet. You’ll be amazed how you can bounce back and still make gains. I’ll never be huge, and am pretty sure I’ll also never be as big as I could’ve been had I continued on and not quit the first time, but I cannot believe how resilient the human body is and mine showed improvement literally the first couple weeks, even with push ups and bodyweight squats.

You hit the iron and start to see some progress and you’ll wonder how you ever settled for being so unhealthy.

I gotta go home, all the info you could ever need is somewhere here and there’s plenty of people ready to help, including me.

Sorry - I’ve just skimmed the replies. Lots of good advice on the lifting, but from what I’ve read, it seems like you should stick with cardio for a while to get the best of its mood-enhancing effect.

Although lifting+cardio is going to be best for your physical health, you should be focusing on your mental health for a while. If you wait 2-3 months to add weights - no big deal. If that’s all you can handle, you’ll still have made a huge change in your brain and body.

As you get into better shape, it’ll be easier to add workouts. Maybe start with one total body workout per week on top of your cardio, then move to two when you can handle it. Will the cardio hurt your lifting? Maybe a little, but again, no huge deal.

And, plenty of people do daily cardio and lift and do just fine - fighters, military, police, fire. Best of luck!

Just thought i’d chip in for what i’m worth.

I too train to ‘chill’. It’s positive, cheaper than being a stoner/drug user/ drinker, and in my not limited experience, better. I love the way i feel when my heart’s going ‘whoompwhoomp’ and i get all spacey.

Advice- train a little with weights. Build a foundation, that’s all. Don’t try to be strong, just restore some balance. This shouldn’t really interfere with your cardio. tip- after lifting, stretch and cooldown, then sit still, focusing on your pump for a bit, it’s meditation really, but better, since you are attuning mind and body. It’s euphoric.

advice 2- eat lots of protein. This may seem blase, but it’s not. I’ve taken various narcotics my friedn, but few things compare to the effect of 400g turkey breast. Believe me? Try it. Plus, it helps you become leaner, stronger and all that goodness.

Wish you the best man