T Nation

Lifting and Your Teeth

For most of my life, I’ll admit, I took absolutely no care of my teeth. But when I was about 18 I decided that should change and have been taking pretty good care of them ever since. Unfortunately, years of repetitive terrible food and drink choices have taken their toll and now that I’m getting braces(I applied when I was eleven, now I’m 20. Very effecient system we have over here) they have requested that I get 3 fillings before they will put the braces on.
Since I started lifitng, I’d say a good 95% of my fluid intake has been milk or water, and my dentist was very happy when he heard that.

Now that my teeth are once again a focus of my attention, I’ve noticed that when lifting(squats in particular)I tend to grind my teeth together. Now, it doesn’t sound to bad but years of this will undoubtedly take their toll on my teeth…
Has anyone had trouble with a similiar problem before…?
I’m genuinely curious if this is an issue for some people…

Any serious responses appreciated
Regards
Kev

I do clench my teeth quite hard when doing <5 reps on an exercise. I heard that some powerlifters actually use mouthguards/gum guards to prevent damage to their teeth while training.

You can buy special mouthguards for braces. I’m personally going to buy a mouthguard specifically for training soon.

Yeah I’m currently using set of 5’s for all my main lifts. 5X5 squats today was when I noticed it really…

I have a mouth guard lying around from rugby a while back and will use that if I feel it necessary but I’d rather not look like a complete dork. It’s preferable to permanent damage however

So nobody else, no…?

What’s this whole apply at 11 and get them at 20 thing? …that sucks.

i actually have experienced some shifting of my teeth every time i do the big 3 lifts. I tend to push my tounge against the back of my teeth, and after each set i feel a clicking sensation between them and a wierd tightness

I use gum guards in comps mainly when im squatting an benching, it really saves my teeth. not sure why i do it though, kind of a habit i’d say from my rugby days.

[quote]JPCleary wrote:
What’s this whole apply at 11 and get them at 20 thing? …that sucks.[/quote]

in Ireland if you put your name down with your local health board you will eventually…i stress eventually get free braces

[quote]Jereth127 wrote:
So nobody else, no…?[/quote]

Yes.

I broke a couple of my rear molars and now use a bite piece for near max lifting. Nothing like a crunchy crack and shocking pain shooting through your head when you have a couple hundred pounds in your hands.

Most dental practitioners will suggest you wear a mouth guard when you are lifting and can make you one that fits perfectly. My uncle always tells me he’ll make me one, but I really think that would just be weird to wear one when I’m lifting.

That’s funny. I’ve been thinking about posting this question for a while. I too have a really bad habit of clenching my teeth as hard as I can during a set…

I chipped my front tooth doing a barbell press. I’m graceful. If you’re clenching, wear a mouth guard. You don’t want to have to wait nine years for a crown and root canal for a cracked tooth.

I’ve had some issues. My dental history includes a few various fillings, a chipped front tooth from when I was young, and I had braces when I was 16-17.
In the last 2 years, I have had chunks of my molars crumble off. One on the top, one on the bottom - they’re over/under and next to one another.
My dental hygeine has always been pretty good so I attribute this to clenching my teeth at night, or in particular, a leg press I did a few years back where I recall a strange sound/sensation from the same teeth.

I would imagine that the stress from the braces combined with constant clenching at night and the occasional smash mid-set were all contributing factors. I suppose the moral of the story is to stay stress free, use a bite guard when you go heavy, and maintain your braces with an eagle eye.

-Patrick

i like to chew gum while i train. it gives me something bite down on and it might protect your teeth too. give it a try and let me know how u like it.

[quote]Jereth127 wrote:
For most of my life, I’ll admit, I took absolutely no care of my teeth. But when I was about 18 I decided that should change and have been taking pretty good care of them ever since. Unfortunately, years of repetitive terrible food and drink choices have taken their toll and now that I’m getting braces(I applied when I was eleven, now I’m 20. Very effecient system we have over here) they have requested that I get 3 fillings before they will put the braces on.
Since I started lifitng, I’d say a good 95% of my fluid intake has been milk or water, and my dentist was very happy when he heard that.

Now that my teeth are once again a focus of my attention, I’ve noticed that when lifting(squats in particular)I tend to grind my teeth together. Now, it doesn’t sound to bad but years of this will undoubtedly take their toll on my teeth…
Has anyone had trouble with a similiar problem before…?
I’m genuinely curious if this is an issue for some people…

Any serious responses appreciated
Regards
Kev
[/quote]

My husband wears a mouthguard when lifting heavy. I do not. I do clench/grind my teeth in my normal life, and am supposed to wear a mouthguard. Makes me gag though, so I do not.

just work out with weights that aren’t so heavy where you have to grind your teeth.

right? i mean, right guys?

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
I chipped my front tooth doing a barbell press. I’m graceful. If you’re clenching, wear a mouth guard. You don’t want to have to wait nine years for a crown and root canal for a cracked tooth. [/quote]

I chipped my front tooth on a beer bottle once…

…okay sorry for the hijack.

We need to get Prof-X in on this one - He’s a dentist and is HUGE.

Dude im 28 going on 29 in february and I will be getting braces next year, WTF Braces at thirty.

I have retainers BOO YA I win