Lifting and Protein

Jesus, it’s hard to get protein.

I drink protein shakes, add protein to my oatmeal, eat eggs and chicket at every meal, but when I count my macros - they’re like half of where I want to be (1g per lb of body weight), and that’s considering that I don’t allow myself much carbs other than veggies, oatmeal, and the ocassional piece of fruit at breakfast.

If I’m lifting a lot but not getting enough protein (my goal thus far has been cutting), am I just tearing down muscle without building it back up? Cause, while I’ve lost a lot of weight, I haven’t put on damn near any muscle.

List out what you typically eat every day.

[quote]valkairon wrote:
Jesus, it’s hard to get protein.

[/quote]

It’s really not

i eat 6 meals a day with 45 grams of protein coming from a protein source each meal- i havent missed a meal since oh i dont know, june maybe?

get organized

[quote]super saiyan wrote:
List out what you typically eat every day.[/quote]

Yes, and please tell us what you weigh, as you’re aiming for 1g/lb of protein.

3 eggs w/a banana or a slice of whole grain toast.
oatmeal w/protein (1 scoop)
Salad with hardboiled eggs and chicken breast
protein shake (2 scoops)
handful of almonds

Like I said, I’ve been trying to lean out, so it’s not a lot of food.

[quote]Consul wrote:

[quote]super saiyan wrote:
List out what you typically eat every day.[/quote]

Yes, and please tell us what you weigh, as you’re aiming for 1g/lb of protein.[/quote]

he weighs 900lbs

[quote]valkairon wrote:
protein shake (2 scoops)
handful of almonds

Like I said, I’ve been trying to lean out, so it’s not a lot of food. [/quote]

why not have more scoops of protein and more chicken

in all seriousness what advice are you expecting bar eating more protein

this is a poor troll job

Making some assumptions (1 cup oatmeal, 2 eggs with lunch, 6 oz chicken, handful of almonds = 1oz) I come up with roughly 1,682 calories, 178g protein, 102g carbs and 62g fat. How much do you weigh? Also, don’t expect to be gaining muscle if you’re in a caloric deficit (which surely you are).

[quote]valkairon wrote:
Cause, while I’ve lost a lot of weight, I haven’t put on damn near any muscle.

[/quote]

Yeah, because you’re on a starvation/malnutrition diet of ~1,600 calories a day.

It’s also obvious by your post and what you’re eating that you’re lacking a thorough nutrition education. Please refer to the hundreds of nutrition articles on this site, particularly the newbie nutrition series by Christian Thibaudeau or anything by Lonnie Lowery, Clay Hyght, Shelby Starnes. You could also pick a decent, simple nutrition book like the Idiot’s Guide to Nutrition by Joy Bauer or find some information in the thousands of articles on the net or books and magazines available.

Have you read anything on nutrition? If so, what? Do you know how to design a diet for goals? How to map out your macronutrient intake and calories appropriately? Do you know basic stuff, such as how many grams of protein are in an ounce of lean meat or how many carbs are in a cup of rice?

[quote]valkairon wrote:
protein shake (2 scoops)
handful of almonds

I eat more than that just in my breakfast. And Im just trying ti maintain.

Uncle Bird.

tweet

These are the guidelines I try to follow:

Eat 5-6 small meals per day of relatively equal proportions; you should try to eat a meal about every three waking hours
?
Plan all of your meals for each entire week; only choose the items you need for your planned meals when you?re at the grocery store (if you don?t have junk around the house, you most likely won?t eat junk)
?
Calculate your daily caloric requirements to lose weight; don?t obsess over calories, but try to stay approximately where you need to be to lose weight
?
Eat a portion of lean protein at each meal, along with a portion of fibrous healthy carbohydrates, and a portion of healthy fats
?
Focus on unrefined, unprocessed foods in their natural state
?
Focus on lower glycemic index carbohydrate sources for the majority of your meals, but don?t worry about avoiding healthy higher glycemic index choices like bananas, raisins, and carrots; these foods have beneficial nutrients and the glycemic response can be controlled if the portions are kept low and combined properly with other foods
?
Eat higher glycemic index carbohydrate sources (sugars and lower fiber complex carbs) along with protein immediately after your intense workouts to replenish muscle glycogen and start the muscle repair process; a 2:1 to 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein immediately following your workouts best facilitates the recovery process
?
Avoid fad diets or ?crash? diets
?
Do not create an energy deficit exceeding 1000 calories per day (i.e. if your maintenance caloric intake is 3000 cal/day, never go below 2000 cal/day); a 500-750 calorie/day energy deficit is best for fat loss while maintaining muscle; as a general rule, it is never recommended that females go below 1200 calories/day and males should never go below 1600 calories/day (Although to be honest, I don’t really count them)
?
Try to incorporate an overfeeding day once per week to stimulate your metabolism and to help you stay on a focused diet for the other six days per week
?
Avoid refined oils, trans fats, and high fructose corn syrup at all costs

?
Try to include green, oolong, and white teas into your daily diet to promote a leaner body; try the suggestion of mixing all three of these teas into an iced tea mixture and drinking it throughout the first half of each day
?
As long as you?re not lactose intolerant, include at least 3-4 servings of dairy and other sources of dietary calcium into your daily plan to promote fat loss (I AM lactose intolerant, so I can’t use this one)

Those estimates tyler made were pretty accurate - 178g of protein is a lot more than I came up with, but if he’s right, I’m golden. Maybe it’s also because my shake doesn’t have as much protein as others (I drink muscle milk cause I’m lactose intolerant, but I’m going to switch to isopure because it has way more protein and way less fat and carbs)

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]valkairon wrote:
Cause, while I’ve lost a lot of weight, I haven’t put on damn near any muscle.

[/quote]

Have you read anything on nutrition? If so, what? Do you know how to design a diet for goals? How to map out your macronutrient intake and calories appropriately? Do you know basic stuff, such as how many grams of protein are in an ounce of lean meat or how many carbs are in a cup of rice?[/quote]

Men’s health big book of food and nutrition, truth aout six pack abs, huge in a hurry, and a bunch of articles online. But I still don’t feel as advanced as you guys. :confused:

why not have more scoops of protein and more chicken

in all seriousness what advice are you expecting bar eating more protein

this is a poor troll job[/quote]

“If I’m lifting a lot but not getting enough protein (my goal thus far has been cutting), am I just tearing down muscle without building it back up?” is the question I want answered.

post a pic holding a shoe and il tell you

if you lift and eat no food, will you get weaker… are you really asking that

all those guidelines you’ve posted are complete bullshit…

just get the protein in, doesn’t matter how you do it (1 meal a day, 500 meals a day, whatever)

just buy pure protein powder, not muscle milk garbage

and stop reading articles written by morons

[quote]marshaldteach wrote:

all those guidelines you’ve posted are complete bullshit…

j
[/quote]

Actually most of those guidelines have a place somewhere. None are particularly bad, depending on the context they’re used (eg, you don’t need 5 or 6 meals a day and you don’t need dairy, but what was said about these guidelines aren’t bad). I think they need to be written differently.

[quote]marshaldteach wrote:
… not muscle milk garbage

[/quote]

It’s actually an alright product.

[quote]valkairon wrote:
“If I’m lifting a lot but not getting enough protein (my goal thus far has been cutting), am I just tearing down muscle without building it back up?” is the question I want answered. [/quote]

yes

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[quote]valkairon wrote:
“If I’m lifting a lot but not getting enough protein (my goal thus far has been cutting), am I just tearing down muscle without building it back up?” is the question I want answered. [/quote]

yes[/quote]

don’t lie to him bro that is really mean

Red meat, get that shit in your face. 30gm per deck of cards size piece. That stuff goes down like gravy too.