T Nation

Lifting After Bowel Surgery?

I had laparoscopic removal of gall, repair of umbilical hernia, & a extra piece of bowel I was born with. I just wanted to know if anyone had expericence with this. I know I need to list to my surgeon but I love lifting & I’m dying to know safe time frame being my bowel was stapled.

[quote]oldscooliron wrote:
I had laparoscopic removal of gall, repair of umbilical hernia, & a extra piece of bowel I was born with. I just wanted to know if anyone had expericence with this. I know I need to list to my surgeon but I love lifting & I’m dying to know safe time frame being my bowel was stapled.[/quote]

The removal of the gall bladder is a very common procedure, usually you can start light activity within 1-2 weeks and heavy lifting within 2-4.

its impossible to give a general estimation of the recovery time after a umbilical hernia and removal of parts of the intestine, because its highly dependent on the specifics of the actual surgical procedure done

Ok thanks! The surgeon stated he had never seen anything like this. He said there was a piece bowel that had no function but would twist & give me problems. He removed that part of the bowel & stapled it. I was born with this & never knew I had such a thing until 43 years later.

Does the bowel mend back together like skin? Or does the staples just hold it?

Will I ever be able to enjoy lifting again? Or are those days over for me? Thanks!

you might want to post this in John Meadows’ forum. He knows a thing or two about bowel surgery

[quote]oldscooliron wrote:
Ok thanks! The surgeon stated he had never seen anything like this. He said there was a piece bowel that had no function but would twist & give me problems. He removed that part of the bowel & stapled it. I was born with this & never knew I had such a thing until 43 years later.

Does the bowel mend back together like skin? Or does the staples just hold it?

Will I ever be able to enjoy lifting again? Or are those days over for me? Thanks![/quote]

yes, it will heal. quite fast, actually. The primary use for the staples isnt so much long term structural support (holding stuff together) but to align the two parts so that they can heal correctly with minimal formation of scar tissue

Bowel surgery can be quite complicated, but if you didnt notice any symptoms before it was probably only a minor procedure.

removal of small parts of the intestine shouldn’t have any negative impact on your performance, the body is quite robust and redundant in that regard

sometimes removal of the gall bladder can lead malabsorbtion of dietary fats

Anyone get slightly sick on stomach now & then especially on waking up? Also where I use to get bad cramping pain by gall I just get pain. Ran this stuff by surgeon today & he just said I might have to get use to living without gall. He didn’t know why I’d be getting pain. He also said my umbilical hernia would be as strong as it would ever get in 3 weeks & in 4 weeks I could drive. He didn’t comment on lifting & I don’t need to see him unless God forbid somethings wrong.