T Nation

Lifting After an Appendectomy

Hey folks. I’m coming off an appendectomy on Tuesday night. Recovery is 3-4 weeks depending on how bad the perforation is (mine was pretty well contained per the surgeon).

Has anyone else here had an appendectomy and do you have any thoughts / suggestions for when I get back to it? I was lucky in that the doc was able to complete everything laparoscopically so the damage was minimal and recovery should be easier.

My understanding is that the biggest risk from lifting anything post surgery is a hernia. Is there anything else to consider?

I will probably plan to start lightly on Jan 1st to be on the safe side.

Thanks,
Chris

Sounds like a good plan

I would get back into the swing of things with a machine-based workout.

Build up the core with isolation exercises so that I can focus, and instantly feel if anything is “off”.

After 6-8 weeks (post surgery), go back to “normal” workouts. By that time, it’s either going to break or not, no use babying anything anymore.

That’s what I would do personally.

Any reason you couldn’t walk on a high incline treadmill, at a slow pace?

I think @punnyguy is on it. The only thing I’d add is I wouldn’t start those core exercises until you’re cleared (after 4 weeks).

It’s going to be a small staple line across your bowel. Remember from your Marine days that risk is likelihood x severity. A leak would be catastrophic; a hernia severe.

Thanks everyone. I talk to thw surgeon on Monday. I should know more about lighter stuff like walking on the treadmill. I would be surprised if I can’t do that soon if not already.

Unfortunately I don’t have machines in my home gym. I was thinking about doing a lot more atuff with bands and more unilateral work with DBs at first.

For example
BW Squats -> Goblet Squat -> Squat

Something like that.