T Nation

Liffting with a Belt Activates My Hamstrings

I have notice that when I do RDL, GMO, Squats and other lifts with a belt my hamstring get sore the next day and I feel them being used when I am wear a belt.

I was wondering has anyone else notice this before.

I have noticed that when I do RDLs and GMs and some other lower body lifts that my hamstrings get sore too. This happens whether I wear a belt or not. I'm pretty sure that its because these are HAMSTRING EXERCISES.

Do your hamstrings get sore when not using a belt?

That what I was trying to say they dont get sore and I dont feel like they are being used once I dont used a belt.

AND BUCKEYE GIRL THANKS FOR BEING AN A$$

No I have not noticed this. However I gave up on the belt and wraps some time ago. I would only use on the most extreme lifts.

It could be possible the belt is forcing you into slightly different mechanics.

Constantly using belt and wraps make the back and knee areas as strong as they should be. I recommend trying the belt only the maximum lifts and see if the hammies get sore.

Not shure, but probably the belt forces you to keep a straight back, which activate more your hamstrings. Have you noticed if NOT USING THE BELT your spinal erectors get more sore than with the belt?

Correction...Constantly using belt and wraps make the back and knee areas NOT as strong as they should be. I recommend trying the belt only the maximum lifts and see if the hammies get sore.

Be for REAL guy....you deserved that!!!

Put the same intensity and use the same method of execution belt or not and see what happens (and don't tell me you already do that because if you did your hamstrings would get sore; perhaps more so without the belt).

I am a experience lifter and never get my hamstrings sore while I deadlift off the ground I have incredible strong upper back and pulled 520 with using prob just my upper back.

I only have started using a belt in last couple months and never used it before and can not keep in a tight postion that is needed for GMO or RDL. Meaning I cant shoot my hips back and was wondering if anyone else notice that. I have done RDL with around 300 and havent really gotten sore hamstring or felt like I was using it. Yesterday I kept the weight light with RDL at 175 pounds and used a belt and actually felt my hammies being stretch while doing the lift and have sore hammies today. That is same thing happens when I do GMO even at 95#.