Lifestyle/Work & Muscle Progress?

I have a bit of a predicament lately. Basically i’m in college, and work a casual job mostly to pay for my gym membership and supplements, so i don’t have to dip into my savings.

I work just doing checkouts at a local grocery store, which is a pretty shitty job itself. But i wonder, is doing that constant light weight, fast paced movement, for hours without a break detrimental to actual muscle growth?

Anyone have experience with this type of work? I have worked there for a while now, but it only hit me recently when i had a few all day shifts, and was sore afterwards, it may actually be counterproductive, and not allowing my muscles to put on size, particularly in my arms (which are the major weak point in my bench press currently)

Thanks T-Nation

[quote]Mitchtj wrote:
I have a bit of a predicament lately. Basically i’m in college, and work a casual job mostly to pay for my gym membership and supplements, so i don’t have to dip into my savings.

I work just doing checkouts at a local grocery store, which is a pretty shitty job itself. But i wonder, is doing that constant light weight, fast paced movement, for hours without a break detrimental to actual muscle growth?

Anyone have experience with this type of work? I have worked there for a while now, but it only hit me recently when i had a few all day shifts, and was sore afterwards, it may actually be counterproductive, and not allowing my muscles to put on size, particularly in my arms (which are the major weak point in my bench press currently)

Thanks T-Nation[/quote]

No, work is not counterproductive to working out. We have all had crappy jobs, some of us still do, yet we find the strength and courage to carry on.

Moving light weights in a repetitive motion all day long may actually help your bench, just like typing at a keyboard all day long may help your grip strength for deadlifting.

Unless you are a professional lifter or bodybuilder, you are going to have to accept that you have to work a job to pay the bills. If you want to leave that job because it’s crappy, leave it. Don’t make an excuse like moving 16 oz. cans might interfere with my passion, my life, my hobby of lifting weights, so I’m gonna go paint houses to work on my shoulder imbalance.

If you are worried about putting on size, do a little shopping after work and become best friends with your knife and fork.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the advice man :slight_smile:

If your work makes your cardiovascular system pump blood into your muscles the right way, it can actually aid in recovery from a tough workout.

I think i just over think the whole system.

Before i started lifting i was under the impression “just work as hard as you can, for as long as you can”. The more i read, the more i learned about rest, proper routine splits, and recovery, and now i have flipped to the opposite side, of busting my ass for 50 minutes - 1 hour, and than resting as much as possible.