Lifestyle Change. Would Like Feedback

I’m so glad I found this site! I get to learn a thing or two about fitness and I also get the motivation to better myself.
Anyways, needless to say I am a beginner and I would like some feedback on my lifestyle changes.

Nutrition

I don’t go into counting calories, protein, fat, etc. but this is what I do. I’m eating 5 meals a day, one meal being my post workout whey protein shake. I bought a crappy $15 bottle of Body Fortress. I know it sucks but I’m going to finish it then replace is with Surge.

I eat veggies with just about every meal. I get 1-2 pieces of fruit a day. I make sure to get a source of protein with every meal such as chicken, beef, steak, and I think eggs lol. I try not to get carbs in on my last meal. I think i have learned carbs are mainly for energy and I won’t need them as I am sleeping?

I’d like to start getting into the numbers to better my nutrition/diet plan but even after reading a lot of helpful info around the forum I’m still pretty much clueless when I look at a nutrition label.

One thing I find funny is how much I eat now! I feel like I’m eating all the time. Everything I eat is in smaller portions except my veg. The only time I really feel hungry is when I wake up. I usually end up making breakfast my largest meal.

Workouts!

Day 1 Upper body
Day 2 Lower body
Day 3 Cardio (usually 2-3 miles on a treadmill)
Day 4 Upper body
Day 5 Lower body
Day 6 Cardio
Day 7 Rest

Plus I’ve now added compound exercises to my workouts. Before I was sticking to the machines but I’m finally branching out.

I’m also counting my cardio days as rest days. Running, I’ve recently found out, is something I really enjoy doing. Plus my main goal is weight loss. Well, really fat loss. I honestly don’t care what my weight is as long as I look good. One question I do have, should be taking my protein shake after my cardio workouts or should I just take it on my weight training days?

Lastly

I’ve started trying to sleep more. Before I started going to the gym I was a hopeless insomniac. If I was lucky I’d get 5 hours of sleep. My workouts were putting my ass to sleep at first but now I find that I have a lot more energy and I’m starting to find it hard to get sleep. I guess I need to hit the gym a little harder…

Well, I’m 5’10" and I was weighing in at 225 a week ago. I’m currently at 221. I already feel a whole lot better. I have more energy and I feel great being active.

Now that I’ve laid out the changes I’ve made to my lifestyle, please feel free to rip into my plan and expose any weaknesses. I would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks in advance!

Sounds good bro nice work so far and really for more help get even more detailed. what are you eating give us a sample day. What are you doing in the gym. the plan exercises, sets, reps, progression.

What is it on a food label you dont get etc etc. you ask em and we’ll answer them

Phill

here is what I ate yesterday

1 scrambled egg with ground beef, diced tomatoes, and onion cooked in extra virgin olive oil on wheat flat bread. Topped with a little mozzarella cheese.

1 can tuna in oil, hand full of almonds, slice of mozzarella cheese. apple.

2 caps fat burners

workout (cardio) ran three miles

pow whey protein shake

1 steak topped with grilled onions. Squash, broccoli, carrots, and tomatoes on the side. steak cooked with extra virgin olive oil and a spoon full of A1.

unfortunately I woke up a little late (around 11) so a missed one of my meals, but all meals were three hours apart.

todays workout UPPER BODY

warm up
light cardio, walked 1/2 mile, ran 1 mile, walked 1/2 mile

dumbbell shoulder press 10x3
dumbbell curls 10x3
Incline bench (on machine) 10x3
bench press 10x3
butterfly (on machine) 10x3
row 10x3
cable wrist curl 10x3
pushdown 10x3

Any advice so far?
Thanks in advance!

[quote]HEFLASH wrote:
dumbbell shoulder press 10x3
dumbbell curls 10x3
Incline bench (on machine) 10x3
bench press 10x3
butterfly (on machine) 10x3
row 10x3
cable wrist curl 10x3
pushdown 10x3

Any advice so far?
Thanks in advance![/quote]

Instead of curls, butterfly’s, wrist curls, incorporate more meat and potatoe exercises which will give you more bang for your buck. I am talking bench presses both flat, incline, and decline, with dumbbells and barbell. Shoulder Presses with DB’s and Barbell, squats or lunges for lowerbody, barbell/dumbbell rows and pullups for back. Others may disagree, but I think 10 x 3 would better serve you once you have built up your strength levels to a respectable degree.

Right now I think you should concentrate on hitting three to four sets with a weight you can get eight to ten reps with. For instance incline bench 200 pounds shoot for three sets of eight. When you can do all three sets and hit eight reps add five or ten pounds and then when you can hit all eight add weight again. Compound movements will give you better muscle growth stimulas and raise metabolism higher for fat burning then doing wrist curls.

Good luck,

D