T Nation

Lifesource Heart Rate Monitor

Does anyone have one of these?

The company says that these monitors display your HR as a percentage of the maximum. Is it possible to make them display in bpm, instead?
I looked it up on their website, and I asked the saleslady at the pharmacy, but neither provided much information.

So does anyone know?

If, for max heart rate, they use the common formula 220-Age, you could try entering 120 as your age. 1% would equal 1 bpm. Hopefully the monitor can display above 100%.

Or enter 20 as your age (making max BPM = 200), and double the percentage to get your true BPM. 50% = 100BPM.

[quote]pookie wrote:
If, for max heart rate, they use the common formula 220-Age, you could try entering 120 as your age. 1% would equal 1 bpm. Hopefully the monitor can display above 100%.

Or enter 20 as your age (making max BPM = 200), and double the percentage to get your true BPM. 50% = 100BPM.

[/quote]

Damn, Pooks, you’re hired!! :slight_smile:

The second solution is probably better; the monitor probably doesn’t display above 100%.

Excellent solution, Pookie!

Very creative!

Unfortunately, when I’m running intervals, my brain will have some difficulty making those calculations. Even if they are simple when seated.

[quote]pookie wrote:

Or enter 20 as your age (making max BPM = 200), and double the percentage to get your true BPM. 50% = 100BPM.[/quote]

While your creativity is laudable, why doesn’t the OP get a clue and just by a monitor that does what he wants it to do?

I make a nice wage, but like a good adult, I save up and budget for the things I want. And when I buy something, it does what I want it to when I buy it. If this means I need to save for an extra week or month to have a product do what I want it to do for several years, well… it doesn’t take an IQ of 140 to determine what is the rational choice.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
While your creativity is laudable, why doesn’t the OP get a clue and just by a monitor that does what he wants it to do?[/quote]

Presumably, the OP is aware of that, but is asking on the off chance that someone familiar with his present monitor knows something he doesn’t about using it.

Whether it displays in percentage or BPM is not really important. If the OP doesn’t want to do math in his head while training, he could simply calculate what percentage of his max his targets represent and convert them to percentages beforehand. Whether you’re aiming for 160 BPM or 82% (assuming 25 years of age) is the same thing in the end.

[quote]pookie wrote:
Whether it displays in percentage or BPM is not really important. If the OP doesn’t want to do math in his head while training, he could simply calculate what percentage of his max his targets represent and convert them to percentages beforehand. Whether you’re aiming for 160 BPM or 82% (assuming 25 years of age) is the same thing in the end.
[/quote]

Not a bad idea. Lifesource just happens not to have many of the features that I don’t want (which usually jacks up the price). The only problem was the display in percent instead of bpm. Now that that’s solved (thanks, Pookie!), this may be my monitor of choice.