Life Without TV!

It has been 5 years since I threw my TV and have not looked back since. Funny thing is, I donâ??t miss any of the 200â??s of channels of garbageâ??s at all, and so does my wallet. I canâ??t see myself getting one in the near future. Itâ??s too easy to sit there and zone out watching something you donâ??t really give a damn about anyways.

It makes no sense to pay hundreds of dollars to watch massive amount of brainwashing, torturing, and obnoxious high volume commercial that seem to never end. On the top of that most of the show or programs are 99% useless, boring, and sensationalized crap. Basically, you are paying money to watch non sense commercials; as well as hidden messages all over the place.

When friends who are unaware of this fact walk into my apartment, they usually look around for a second and then get blank look on their face when they realize there is no TV. Probably, this makes me weird, and itâ??s pretty funny to them, but itâ??s so normal to me

What did you copy and paste this from?

copy/paste from my flash drive…

[quote]strungoutboy21 wrote:
What did you copy and paste this from?[/quote]

And here I was thinking i’d seem real smart and point it out and there you go stealing my thunder :frowning:

Without TV, how do you watch sport?

What do you do in your free time that you think is more productive then watching TV?

Besides Isn’t TV/Movies one of the most basic human instinct? They are a medium that tells a story and there is nothing more natural that wanting hear/watch a good story.

[quote] IcyFlame wrote:
copy/paste from my flash drive…
[/quote]

And from where did you copy/paste it to your flash drive?

Who needs 200 TV channels when you can have thousands of bullshit webpages?

I haven’t had a TV for a while but spend just as much time aimlessly clicking about the internet.

I haven’t really watched TV since I started university. Never needed one seeing as most shows and movies I watch are online, that and cable is expensive!

[quote]optheta wrote:
What do you do in your free time that you think is more productive then watching TV?

Besides Isn’t TV/Movies one of the most basic human instinct? They are a medium that tells a story and there is nothing more natural that wanting hear/watch a good story.
[/quote]

There are these things called books. They tell stories and educate with information. It also requires you to think more when ypu read something as opposed to become a zombified receptacle for commercials. I would consider that infinitely more productive than tv because your brain is working harder. I only have a tv with a dvd hook-up. No cable or house internet other than my phone (which i need for work purposes). I haven’t looked back in years and don’t miss it at all.

You can also pursue more hobbies when you’re not in front of a tv. Thats more productive than spending 5 hours watching nothing.

Oh, and to the poster who brought up sports…you can still go to a sports bar. That’s what i do.

I just got cable so that I could watch NHL and the sci-fi channel, which plays Star Trek.

Other than that I don’t watch TV except for the odd Discovery Channel show…oh…and Off the Hook, a great fishing show I recommend as the host is a really fun guy.

I do find it funny when people mention how they don’t watch TV, trying to sound intelligent, then they mention that they just downloaded the latest seasons of MadMen, Breaking Bad, Californication and whatever else…hey shithead…that’s TV.

Here’s an example of that fishing show.

[quote]Diddy Ryder wrote:
Who needs 200 TV channels when you can have thousands of bullshit webpages?

I haven’t had a TV for a while but spend just as much time aimlessly clicking about the internet.[/quote]

Yeah, this.

I stopped watching mine a couple of years ago. I don’t miss it, but I feel like I’ve just replaced one time-waster with another.

A pet hate is when I visit someone and they refuse to turn off the TV while we are talking. Maybe I’m a lot more boring than I thought, but was there any need to point it out like that!

I may cry.

Seriously I never regretted junking my TV. Love reading, love watching DVDs of the very few programs I actually like.

I hardly ever watched TV in my 20’s as well. I was never home long enough to watch any.
If it were not for sports, I could live without most of the shit on TV, but I watch sports and hence need a TV. And I want a 90" TV. I want a fucking jumbotron in my living room.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

[quote]optheta wrote:

[/quote]

There are these things called books. They tell stories and educate with information. It also requires you to think more when ypu read something as opposed to become a zombified receptacle for commercials. I would consider that infinitely more productive than tv because your brain is working harder. I only have a tv with a dvd hook-up. No cable or house internet other than my phone (which i need for work purposes). I haven’t looked back in years and don’t miss it at all.

You can also pursue more hobbies when you’re not in front of a tv. Thats more productive than spending 5 hours watching nothing.

Oh, and to the poster who brought up sports…you can still go to a sports bar. That’s what i do.[/quote]

Sports bars are more expensive than Satellite and a beer fridge.
Like I said, when I was young, I never watched it. I was always out doing stuff. I am to tired for that shit now and I enjoy watching TV and have no shame in it.

I don’t care for going to most movies, theaters are a pain in the ass and very expensive, and nothing is out that I can’t wait for. I watch a lot of sports, I like to lay on the couch holding my dick eating my own snacks while I watch. I can hear it, I can pay attention to it, I can get on the internet and watch it if I want to. I don’t care for wearing a shirt very often I can do that at home. I can fart as loud as I want. I can drink or not drink, and do not have worry about driving. I can pause it and rewind it. I can fall asleep in front of it. I do love me some TV.

I get in maybe 30 minutes of TV a week lol.

Is it weird that I have a 50" plasma with rabbit ears?

I do watch movies though.

I turned off my TV after the 2008 Presidential election (the first one I followed) and never looked back.

So which one of you guys wrote this article?

Seriously though, I got rid of cable a while back and definitely don’t miss it, but do use the hell out of Netflix. I have found though that if I spend the evening reading in bed, I’ll go to sleep a lot earlier than if I watch TV for a while before bed. I like it when I’m unwinding/chilling with my roommates, but I think people definitely need to have other stuff going on in their lives.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

[quote]optheta wrote:

[/quote]

Oh, and to the poster who brought up sports…you can still go to a sports bar. That’s what i do.[/quote]
I think I would go broke if I constantly had to go to a sports bar to watch all the games I watch.

Other than that I really don’t watch too many television programs. If I have a day off, I never turn on the tv during the day unless a game is on I really want to watch. I’m usually outside doing something.