Clear conscience

Leave everything better than you find it

It’s easier to adapt to a situation than it is to prevent it

I’d recommend wearing a condom over adapting to kids or AIDS :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Nice post

1-3, 9 are all connected, they deal with the same stuff

To point 1,

I view my more sincere prayers as something that was always inside of me that God is extracting, rather than me saying the magic words that force God or whatever

I “let” God and/or the outside world suck my soul out piece by piece, I consider it inevitable, I’ve learned to enjoy being surprised by what I do or don’t do next. How could my soul not be leaking out constantly, even if slowly?

But yeah, try not to get sucked into stupid arguments or shiny distractions, I get you. Something about your word choice + the rest of your post pulled me… I guess in my limited experience the empty feeling hasn’t come from following my heart, but by not following, being afraid to

1 Like

Very, very true. I guess I say those things assuming moderate common sense and general intelligence, neither of which are common or general anymore :grimacing:

2 Likes

Family first

Assume positive intent from others

When you hold a strong opinion, be able to articulate a compelling counter argument that isn’t sarcastic or absurd.

Do stuff more than talking about stuff

Make others better where you can

No matter how good or bad things are, see a better future then:

Work to establish habits (rather than goals) that will bring it (rather than talking about it)

Talk only about half as often as you think is necessary. Listening instead will serve you better.

Don’t whinge, don’t cry (cry has some exceptions)

Don’t hate

Don’t be a cunt. Or at least if you are going to be a cunt, don’t pretend you are not one.

2 Likes

I always assume the opposite.

‘When you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: The people I deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous and surly. They are like this because they cannot tell good from evil.’

3 Likes

Only issue us if everyone thinks like this, then we’re all fucked in the end lol I like to be the change I want to see, which I guess is another principle

You must not be familiar with the rest:

But I have seen the beauty of good, and the ugliness of evil, and have recognized that the wrongdoer has a nature related to my own - not of the same blood or birth, but the same mind, and possessing a share of the divine. And so none of them can hurt me. No one can implicate me in ugliness. Nor can I feel angry at my relative, or hate him. We were born to work together like feet, hands and eyes, like the two rows of teeth, upper and lower. To obstruct each other is unnatural. To feel anger at someone, to turn your back on him: these are obstructions.

Certainly @T3hPwnisher has some principles from the ancients?

1 Like

Was honestly never the biggest fan of the ancients compared to modern. Too much focus on the ideal vs the real.

I’m honestly still navigating my own personal philosophy to the point that I couldn’t say what my life principles are. About the closest thing I have right now is the notion of authenticity ala existentialism. I feel like that’s a solid guiding principle.

This is one that’s really hit home in the past two years. I used to get frustrated when ppl wouldn’t answer my emails or accommodate my schedule, but now I’m amazed that ppl more qualified than me respond, much less help me, without some form of compensation

I think one I forgot off my list: Always bring something to the table

1 Like

1: This too shall pass.
Nothing lasts forever. Not you, not the Earth, not the universe. Its always on the change. Any good times or bad times will come and go. Make hay whilst the sun is shining and in the bad times - there is always light at the end of the tunnel.

2: Success looks different to everyone. Know what yours is. Accept that you might not like it
I’m overly money orientated. It GENUINELY upsets me to know that. But unless I earn more than a certain amount I feel inadequate. I’m lucky enough to be pretty secure financially. However a mate of mine - happiest guy I know earns less than 1/2 of what I do. But to him a stress free life is his success.

Which bring me to a recent one:
3: After a certain point - the cost of progress is happiness.
In just about all things you can achieve a certain level of success with very little effort. After a while progress will slow. And then the hard work starts.
What drives you on through this hard work? The false attribution of happiness to a certain goal. IE for me right now - a 250kg dead lift. When I reach it - will I be happy. Yes - but even before its back on the ground I will want a 275 kg dead lift. I know it. And I hate it. But its what drives me and I dare say - many other people. Especially ones more successful than I.

4:Apply all rules equally and fairly.
Never allow personal feeling to interfere when deciding on right / wrong. I know a girl that had her dad arrested for drink driving. Bravest girl I know. All she said on the matter was “just because he’s my dad doesn’t mean he wont kill someone”.

5: Be honest with yourself.
Knowing yourself will teach you about others. Kinda liked to the above.

1 Like

You may not be compensating them directly, but they’re being compensated.

EDIT: Just want to point out that there’s NOTHING wrong with that, per se.

2 Likes

Stop trying to get people to like you, unless you’re trying to stick your penis in them

Stick 10-20% of your earnings away and have fun with the rest. Don’t be the frugal dick who catches stomach cancer when they’re 53, sitting with all that cash

Admit when you’re wrong, apologise and move on. If folk still want to bitch then that’s on them.

Looking for happiness is a false economy. Look for meaning. If you want your life to have meaning then have children.

Pick your battles with women. They will fuck you up in an argument and leave you flapping about like Michael J Fox mixing up a margarita.

Embrace the awkward. Saying no and owning it is very liberating.

Violence tends to erupt in bars and public transport at night, particularly at the weekend. If you value your life and physical looks then have a family and stay the fuck away from these places

2 Likes

I will reiterate some of what was said above, but these principals are open to change as I grow in change (similar to @T3hPwnisher 's comment above about changing philosophy)

1. Veritas Omnia Vincit - “Truth Conquers All” - Yeah, it’s my fraternities motto but stuck with me through college and now into adulthood/marriage/parenthood.

2. Pretty specific to me - Trust God - Read the Bible and strive to have a relationship with him - way easier said than done.

3. Be content, but strive for more. This could be more education, athleticism, spirituality…whatever, just keep growing somehow. Those who stagnate and are willing to whittle away their short number of days doing nothing drive me crazy.

4. Respect should be earned, not demanded. Everyone should be treated with an initial level of respect out of human decency/not assuming everyone is an asshole. The level of respect can go up or down given someone’s actions.

Likely more, but these are for sure.

2 Likes

unfortunately, you can’t stop that, I believe. but, like you said, what you can do is try to limit that and only allow it to happen when it’s necessary and worth it. it’s not a matter of trying to have unlimited resources, but rather to use those you have as best as possible

I have the utmost respect for the ppl who believe in this.
The more on reflect on my life and the more parenting stories I hear, the more I realize how much I don’t want kids for largely selfish reasons.
I did a quick calculation the other day and realized that I’m close to 1million USD in debt to my parents… NOT counting the emotional/time costs. To put it simply, I (and to some extent my brother), have basically bankrupted my parents and ruined their marriage.

It would take far more energy and articulation than I have at the moment (hard, hot, and dirty day) to explain why that is not true, but believe me, that is simply not true.

That is Waaaaaay too much to carry around.

7 Likes

I will second you on this one

Children are stressful and tiring yes, but in the best possible way (kind of like a great workout).

@anna_5588 I know children aren’t right for everyone, but like Sky says, your reasons for not wanting them here are way off of reasonable.

Also - for reference I even had my kids young. Met my step son who turned 4 when I was 22. Couldn’t imagine living any other way (now 31).

1 Like

Mine are still young, but they are the most aggravating and the most rewarding part of my life. Its amazing how quickly you can’t imagine life without them. All the cliches are true. It’s just one of those things you have to experience to grasp.

1 Like

I only meant the burden of guilt she has expressed.

I’d never recommend someone should have or want to have kids if the don’t.

That aside, an example:

I got my kid a bicycle a few years ago. It was like $100.00 or something. But from that has come countless hours of joy and a priceless amount of time spent having fun with my little dude.

That kind of happiness and satisfaction is one of those abstractions that occurs in life which really can’t be quantified in dollars. I’ve literally been taking what may have been my last breaths and the only thing I REALLY wanted was a little more time with my my kiddo.

3 Likes