T Nation

Life Isn't Always Fair

The question is, how long has this person been working and who has he had to blow along the way to get that high up? Go to college and get that degree and you can to the people below you to do the same. :slight_smile:

[quote]Wreckless wrote:
And as far as “taking the risk” goes. When a company reorganises, wages get cut, people get fired, and upper management gets an option plan.
When they finally run it into the ground, the operation people get laid off, and upper management gets a golden parachute.
[/quote]

This is largely true. There is no “risk” for most executives. The risk is on the shoulders of investors, and they will get screwed if workers decide they’ve had enough and leave/go on strike.

Even in smaller companies, an inordinate amount of risk is often placed on employees. I work for a small company, myself… and have had my scheduled pay raise “deferred” because my managers didn’t accurately estimate sales for the year. Yay for them, they get to keep making money while I get screwed. This was after getting hired at below industry standard, by the way, because I was fresh out of college and they had a small company. Doesn’t matter that I’ve been busting my ass for them for a couple of years now. Oh well, I suppose I’m jaded and bitter.

Anyway, no, that is NOT a cool thing to say. It’s sort of like when my one boss joked about the starting salary I took, saying “We never expected that you’d take so little!” Hahah. Boy, you’re a funny guy, aren’t you?

The Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold makes the rules.

[quote]jlesk68 wrote:
The Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold makes the rules.[/quote]

Or go even further in your library and read the Prince by Nicolo Machiavelli. You’ll find that even kings are at the mercy of their subjects if the true goal is control.

Bottom line: the vice-president (and, on a side note, have you ever met a human being who held that title who wasn’t as useless as tits on a bull?) should have been taken outside and gotten the shit kicked out of him.

Because, really…the American Dream is breaking your boss’ nose.

As a confused college student, I’d like to hear his opinion on career choices/direction…ha

[quote]BB4506 wrote:
As a confused college student, I’d like to hear his opinion on career choices/direction…ha

[/quote]

Shit, apparently the American Dream involves only making sure you are making more money than someone else so you can laugh at the other person about it. I am glad that wasn’t my motivation through school.

After reading this again, and spending some time thinking about it I’ve decided that it’s still funny to me.

No one made the whiner choose the career path he did. If he has skills that are worth more than $30,000 a year, he should find someone willing to pay him for it instead of worrying about what other people make.

I admit the VP was retarded for saying it, that he probably killed the enthusiasm of anyone below him in the company, and should probably be fired.

However, his answer was truthful and funny. It’s not like Mr. Production worker was promised something he didn’t receive. The rules haven’t changed in a long time. He knew going in that executives make a lot of money and shit on the little guy. If he didn’t understand the rules before, maybe he does now.

Assholes like that are the main reason I decided to be my own boss. I have a huge problem with authority in the fisrt place. I worked at a company while going to grad school that had a prez and veep that were almost as bad as the asshole in this little story. They went out of their way to make sure everyone knew that they made 10 times what the worker bees made. Not that I have a problem with them making 250K - they just could have had a little class to go along with the hefty bank account.

I was glad when I had the opportunity to quit.

The first problem is that the bonus info should not have been presented at a company wide meeting.

Was the VP’s bonus justifiable? Who knows. We have no idea what he accomplished. However, he did make a stupid comment and will most like pay for it. Either directly or indirectly from loss of respect.

The company’s directors should be overseeing bonuses and ensuring the management team is working in the best interest of the shareholders.

His answer was neither truthfull or funny, it was sad and this is a example of leadership ?, shit I wouldn’t follow this guy up the garden path.

Or whoever has the ability to get others to give him gold.

[quote]jlesk68 wrote:
The Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold makes the rules.[/quote]

[quote]rainjack wrote:
I have a huge problem with authority in the fisrt place.[/quote]

Gee, what a surpise.

[quote]aussie486 wrote:
His answer was neither truthfull or funny, it was sad and this is a example of leadership ?, shit I wouldn’t follow this guy up the garden path.[/quote]

It was both truthful and funny.

Noone claims it was an example of leadership.

I wouldn’t work for the jackass, either.