UnKillable Kleinhound 2: This time he's more unkillable-er

I agree. The more I weigh, the less I want to run.

3 Likes

Wk4 - start of mass phase Monday

1. Worked to top set of 5 on foam press 110kg then 12 at 95kg
  2. Seated db press 3x10 at 25,20,20kg
  3. Then 50 reps for time with 15kg dbs
  4. Diesel mass back Attack
    3 rounds
    30 sec isometric pull into bench
    12-20 rows
    12-20 strict db Rd fly
  5. Tricep pushdown 120 reps with 17.5kg stack
2 Likes

Monday night did an F45 class with the GF which was pretty fun. High intensity cardio and I didn’t have to think, just turned up and did whatever station was there… Kinda tweaked my knee a little though doing lateral jumps, bit of impact though certainly nothing nasty

Tuesday

1. Block pulls conventional
    Top set 180kg x5 then 160kg for 10
  2. Giant set
    Rdls 100kgx12
    Split squats just bw slow down fast up x12
    Chin ups x12
    For three rounds
  3. Face pulls and hanging leg raises 3x20/12

Knee wasn’t too bad, just feels like I squished the fat pad a little when I landed.
Good times
Diet tightening up again, no more pasta :pensive:

3 Likes

So back in February we talked about program hopping and I brought up CT’s Guaranteed Simple Strength & Size program.

I’ve been running it for six weeks now and I’m loving it! Bench is getting close to a PR and squats are feeling as strong as they have since my hip pain first hit (a year ago). I’ve never done triples with 405 on Deadlift and I’ll be doing that in two weeks.

I highly recommend the program! The weird thing is that I’m doing five exercises per workout and I don’t feel like I’m missing anything. It’s such a drastic change from my old high volume bodybuilding workouts.

2 Likes

Hey good to hear man! Is that one of his paid programs from his personal site? I may look into that!

He released an article on ThibArmy. I think he has/had a similarly named program that he sells. I’m not sure if it’s the same one. I’d like to think not or the paying customers might get upset.

But then again, Wendler has three books (four if you count the original, 2nd edition) that he sells and yet he’s released multiple versions for free right here.

damn that bicep vein bro!

Super beat up today, so just rode the recumbent bike for 30mins at moderate intensity

1 Like

Another f45 last night

Today high rep eccessory and iso hold/descents

1. Flat db press W iso holds in bottom
    3x6 top set 35kg then drop set Amrap with 20kg for 20 reps (did some unweighted ywts in between)
  2. Superset wide d grip lat pull downs 4x8 with Max length iso hold on last rep and cable face pulls 4x30
  3. Superset wide pushups with 5 sec descent 5x12 and Tbar rows 5x20 reps
  4. Curl Challenge. 50 reps with 30-40%bw. I conservative went 30% and took 4 sets
    Then extra work did 2 sets of medial Delt Massacre and 10 minutes balls out on stair mill.
    Significantly dropped carbs the last few days, not too flat yet in appearance, so I had a little photo shoot haha
2 Likes

Kleinhound, what’s your diet now, vegetarian not vegan?

Did you change from vegan, if so, why?

Have you guys heard of a documentary coming out about strength, speed & martial arts athletes who are vegan?

It’s called The Game Changers, out in Autumn/Fall

I mean this with absolutely no ill will be I’m dead serious. If vegans care about the moral implications of animal suffering why don’t vegans just advocate for humane treatment of animals? It would be far more effective at decreasing animal cruelty than convincing humans not to eat meat/animal products.

There are over 7 billion humans on earth. While India has a great many vegans that leaves the other 6.5 billion humans eating animals (est.). The overwhelming vast majority of humans throughout history ate meat.

Meat, fish, milk, honey etc… are all delicious and nutritious. What’s the end game with the evangelical vegans?

3 Likes

I eat meat & fish, I don’t have any dairy - cow milk or other animal milk food.

With vegans I believe the starting point is being vegan benefits every body - planet, people & animals.

With 7 billion people on the planet, it appears to be impossible to provide animal meat without factory farming - there’s just not enough land.

And vegans believe factory farming is barbaric.

I don’t know the validity of the environmental vegan arguments but I hear quite a lot on the ethical arguments, which I think are harder to contest at face value anyway.

From there vegan beliefs seem to develop that even if there were much less humans & therefore enough land to raise & kill animals with more welfare, killing any animal for the pleasure of eating its flesh is never moral.

The analogy I’ve heard is “if I kept a human locked up in a 5 star hotel all your life then murdered you to eat you, would that be ok /moral/ kind ?”

I’ve also read it seems the dairy industry is more barbaric for animals than the meat industry, because cows are kept alive in horrible conditions for 5 years of suffering, instead of about 2 years of horrible conditions for pure meat farming.

Then dairy cattle become part of the meat industry when they’re killed around 5 years old, because they’re fucked from exhaustive impregnatation.

I believe the natural life span of dairy cattle used to be 20 to 25 years, pre factory farming era, so pre 1940s or something.

One of the things I hear from vegans about “humans have always eaten meat” is - humans have always done all kinds of horrible shit as well - tons of murder in wars, horrible national shit in big business.

That doing nasty selfish stuff because we’ve always done it, shouldn’t be a goal. A Goal should be progress to a less selfish world.

I think that answers your question “What’s the end game with the evangelical vegans?”

Another analogy is I LOVE motorbikes & for me the absolute roar of a fossil engine is incredible as is using that engine through the gears…

But Ive actually made a decision not to ride my fossil fuel bike & sell it. I’m gonna buy an electric motorbike once they’re improved & lighter.

I’ve not rode a motorbike for a year now cos of that & it was quite depressing at first - motorbikes are up there with sex for me, I fooking love it!!

A nearly silent motorbike with no gears to master isn’t as exciting to me, but I do believe it’s selfish for me to keep riding my gasoline bike.

Anyway back to vegans —

Those are the ethical arguments I hear from vegans.

There are 2 vegans where I work so I’ve chatted to them quite a bit about it

3 Likes

A very rational, thoughtful response. Thank you.

My rebuttal to the vegans about humans committing all manner of barbaric behaviours and that’s no excuse for continuing them… the eating of flesh gave early humans the calories necessary for brains to increase in size. Without our ancestors eating meat, we wouldn’t be human.

Do we blame lions for eating gazelles and claim it is immoral? Now the manner in which we raise animals and slaughter them… That’s a very interesting conversation.

The riding of your gasoline motorcycle (or not) has a near zero effect on world carbon emissions. That electic bike you plan on buying is going to be made of aluminum/steel/plastic/rubber/copper all made with coal/coke and electricity. The rare earth metals in the battery will be mined in China/Japan and shipped on cargo vessels burning bunker fuel. That battery will be charged with electricity from either coal/nat gas, or wind/solar. Solar panels circumnavigate the globe to get from rare earth mined in Asia to a factory to the array location. Wind mills are made from steel (made with coke or fossil fuel electricity). They are 300ft high with a 60k pound steel gearbox attached to a generator with miles of copper wire (copper is quite carbon intensive) and rare earth magnets again. Ironically nuclear fission is the lowest carbon (cleanest) energy we have.

I guess what I’m saying is, ride your bike if that’s what makes you happy. One volcanic eruption puts out more greenhouse gases than all human activity ever. Your sacrifice is immaterial.

2 Likes

TL;DR
I personally do not purchase products where the animal was tortured. Eating meat isn’t bad for you, but I do think the ethical and environmental arguments for not eating factory farmed meat are pretty good.

Personally, I try not to eat products where the animal was tortured before it was killed. I am still trying to decide whether the act of killing animals (with no torture) is against my ethical beliefs.

The reason I decided to do this is because I was experiencing cognitive dissonance. I think that depending on the foundation of your beliefs, eating factory farmed meat could be either wrong or completely fine. However, I personally think that many of the environmental and ethical arguments are sound.

One place where I do not agree with many vegans: health. Eating meat is not inherently bad for you. On the contrary, eating meat is excellent for gaining muscle mass and increasing strength (we have a bunch of anecdotal evidence for this). I think the problem is sitting on the couch, not exercising, and overeating. The health problem is not meat; rather, it’s people’s terrible eating habits and lack of exercise.

I also think that something’s necessity in the past does not imply that it is necessary today or in the future. Similarly, something’s being natural does not imply that it is ethical.

Furthermore, I don’t think not purchasing gas is necessarily immaterial. Buying stuff is like voting: by buying (voting), you are telling the company (politician) that you like what they are doing. Sure, there is a chance that your sacrifice will not make a material difference (odds are it probably won’t), but if there are enough people who stop purchasing, the company will eventually stop producing as much. Expected utility is the same regardless of the chance you will make a difference. This issue is covered in a paper called Vegetarianism, by Stuart Rachels. If you are interested, I can send it.

Like many other things, you can find vegans who do not support their arguments with evidence. Unfortunately, these are often the folks that get the most public attention (kind of like political figures who do not support what they say with evidence but are super popular).

Regardless, I thought the article you posted was interesting. Thank you for sending it.

2 Likes

Yeah good talking about this @Basement_Gainz - it’s interesting

the eating of flesh gave early humans the calories necessary for brains to increase in size. Without our ancestors eating meat, we wouldn’t be human.

I agree with Musk Rat here - what we did in the past doesn’t make me feel eating meat now is ethical. Like I said though I’m undecided on eating animal flesh personally - I still do it.

Apparently in the past Homo Sapiens massacred all the other Humanoid species & that’s why we became the dominant life form… It’s a theory - like with the big brain & meat theory - that the genes for highly discriminatory highly violent behaviour were passed onto modern human beings because of this history - and it’s one reason why intolerance of others is in human nature. That’s seen in really trivial shit like men getting massively territorial/ intolerant of different football/ soccer tribes.

I read that in a v v interesting book called Sapiens; A brief history of mankind. I’d really recommend it, it’s fascinating.

Do we blame lions for eating gazelles and claim it is immoral? Now the manner in which we raise animals and slaughter them… That’s a very interesting conversation.

^ The vegans I know reply to that with “humans have a choice what we eat now. We’ve mastery over our environment. We should aim for progress towards less selfishness, not what other species do”

The riding of your gasoline motorcycle (or not) has a near zero effect on world carbon emissions. That electic bike you plan on buying is going to be made of aluminum/steel/plastic/rubber/copper all made with coal/coke and electricity.

Again I agree with Musk Rat - create change with your wallet.

If one individual says they can’t make a difference & one million other individuals act the same, one million people have taken no action.

Everything starts with one person, one step.

Sure electric vehicles & solar may have shitty carbon footprints right now, but we encourage progress & evolution in their production by making them popular.

Look what Elon Musk is achieving - he’s going to change the entire course of humanity through global renewable energy & that began with one less than ideal electric vehicle some years back.

1 Like

Just a vegetarian mate. Never identified as a ‘vegan’ though it’s pretty easy to eat vegan anyway

3 Likes

Such a chill aussie response. Everyone is getting all debatable with a topic you are probably familiar with but your like ‘eh, I do what I want.’

3 Likes

Haha pretty much. I think discussion and discourse is great and healthy, especially when both sides are open minded, but at the same time I’m also good with my dietary choices :relaxed:
If anyone is interest here is a brief summary of views
Animal cruelty/farming bad
Hunting for food humane
I don’t hunt, so I don’t eat meat.
Eggs are good, eggs are humane
Meat is healthy, so is fruit and veg
Dairy is bad but I am weak and still eat cheese.
I like honey. Vegans are silly for not eating honey
I am not dogmatic in my beliefs, I consider eating kangaroo all the time

7 Likes

*dairy farming rather

1 Like