Life after the BBB 3 Months Challenge

Another question :wink:

So, I just finished the BBB 3 Months challenge and it was just what I needed. I really liked it (except for the 5x10 deadlifting volume work - that was ugly and nasty). I liked it so much I don’t really want to change much about it.

Anyways, I’m looking for a program that will increase both size and strength. How do I proceed after having reached 70% of the TM with the assistance work?

Right now I’m considering switching to the bodybuilder template, but actually I really liked performing each lift twice a week, while the bodybuilder template would only allow me to hit the same muscles once a week.

Would continuing the BBB routine with the 70% assistance load be a sensible option?
And any opinions on the bodybuilder template?

My first thought is to do the lower rep versions of BBB.

“Would continuing the BBB routine with the 70% assistance load be a sensible option?”

Yes. Steel Nation’s suggestion of one of the lower rep variations of BBB also seems eminently sensible, so in your position I would at least try out the lower weight variations and see how you like it, and go back to 5x10@70% if that seems better for you.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
My first thought is to do the lower rep versions of BBB.[/quote]

x2 or even repeat and just do 5s for deadlifts

Another option is 5’s Progression (Beyond 5/3/1, page 50).

Squat - 5/3/1
Deadlift - 5s Pro
Assistance

Bench - 5/3/1
Press - 5s Pro
Assistance

Deadlift - 5/3/1
Squat - 5s Pro
Assistance

Press - 5/3/1
Bench - 5s Pro
Assistance

It’s lower volume but heavier than BBB.

[quote]some_dude wrote:
Another option is 5’s Progression (Beyond 5/3/1, page 50).

Squat - 5/3/1
Deadlift - 5s Pro
Assistance

Bench - 5/3/1
Press - 5s Pro
Assistance

Deadlift - 5/3/1
Squat - 5s Pro
Assistance

Press - 5/3/1
Bench - 5s Pro
Assistance

It’s lower volume but heavier than BBB.[/quote]

I really need to buy beyond. I’ve thought of this approach before, and am pretty excited to see it.

[quote]matthew_gray wrote:

I really need to buy beyond. I’ve thought of this approach before, and am pretty excited to see it. [/quote]

The book is worth every penny. If you’ve ever thought 5/3/1 is great but I wish it had more of this or more of that… it’s in there.

I think Jim normally recommends the secondary movement be done as a variation but I don’t really want to put words into his mouth.

buy “Beyond . . .”, guarantee there will be something in there that will appeal to you.