Lies About Lifts

Hello,

I’ve been reading Tmuscle daily for about a year now.

What I notice a lot is that people write down lifts that really amaze me. Some latest guy on “rate my…” weighs in at 175 and has a bench of 290 and a squad of 340. So in my system that is a 79,5 kg guy with a bench (1rm???) of 131,8kg and a squad of 154,5kg.

Looking at his legs and chest… I’d say I’m in doubt.

This is just an example. I see guys posting lifts that really make my head shake.

There are 3 things in life that people lie about:

1. their income
  2. their sexual performance
    and apparently
  3. their lifts

Everybody has a cell phone with camera in it. If you say you can lift those weights, please send us a video, otherwise shut up.

Greets

290 at 175 is amazing???

[quote]Papa Nick wrote:
290 at 175 is amazing???
[/quote]

Maybe not but I agree that numbers on this site need to be taken with a grain of salt.

If those lifts are amazing, then my ego just went up :smiley:

I don’t know why it bothers you if someone invents fictional statistics.

[quote]Rational Gaze wrote:
I don’t know why it bothers you if someone invents fictional statistics.[/quote]

Hurt e-ego? Projection? :slight_smile:

I’d agree though, that what people claim on the web should be taken with a grain of salt unless they have some sort of proof (video or pics.)

But in reality, it really shouldn’t matter if people make shit up about what they can do - it happens in real life, it should not be surprising that it also happens on the net. The only time it really bothers the fuck out is when someone makes up stats to make/support a claim (specially one that is so utterly retarded the laws of nature demands that it be squashed) or to derisively talk shit about someone else.

People lie on the internet it’s just a fact of life. Does it really matter, if the guy doesn’t even look like he can lift that much? If you are interested in bodybuilding 1 rep maxes shouldn’t matter anyway because in reality doing 1 rep maxes won’t do shit for muscle growth anyway. Bodybuilding is about building muscle not doing 1 rep maxes and lying about them on the internet.

[quote]BurnMyEyes wrote:
People lie on the internet it’s just a fact of life. Does it really matter, if the guy doesn’t even look like he can lift that much? If you are interested in bodybuilding 1 rep maxes shouldn’t matter anyway because in reality doing 1 rep maxes won’t do shit for muscle growth anyway. Bodybuilding is about building muscle not doing 1 rep maxes and lying about them on the internet. [/quote]

Agreed, also it is important to some people because they are looking for who to listen to. I personally don’t believe any stats unless that poster has posted a picture before. From what I’ve seen, a lot of people see something completely different in the mirror than what the rest of the world sees.

Agreed on every account good doc.

While I do agree that most people are a bit disillusioned, I would also like to point out that my own strength and size developed in quite an unproportional manner. I first benched 315 at about 150 lbs, so I always want to believe what people say,… still, with the way the internet is set up, you will always have people willing to support, or backup their claims, and those who boast, rant and moan, and yet you will never see a pic, a vid, or any sort of accomplishment from a blank online profile.

If this issue is honestly preventing you from sleeping well at night, I’m sure there are much bigger concerns to be worried about -lol

S

[quote]Dahollow wrote:
squad of 340
[/quote]

[quote]Dahollow wrote:
squad of 154,5kg.
[/quote]

If these squads only weigh that little than they can’t be very big squads.

I squatted a spin class last night.

We had a 165 squat 626 last weekend at a USAPL meet. I fell like such a pussy around the kid (he’s 19), and I weigh 100 pounds more than him.

kicks dirt

[quote]Dahollow wrote:
Hello,

I’ve been reading Tmuscle daily for about a year now.

What I notice a lot is that people write down lifts that really amaze me. Some latest guy on “rate my…” weighs in at 175 and has a bench of 290 and a squad of 340. So in my system that is a 79,5 kg guy with a bench (1rm???) of 131,8kg and a squad of 154,5kg.

Looking at his legs and chest… I’d say I’m in doubt.

This is just an example. I see guys posting lifts that really make my head shake.

There are 3 things in life that people lie about:

1. their income
  2. their sexual performance
    and apparently
  3. their lifts

Everybody has a cell phone with camera in it. If you say you can lift those weights, please send us a video, otherwise shut up.

Greets [/quote]

IMHO, bodybuilding is a sport between you and the bar - nobody else. I have no problems posting my lifts, weight, etc. as I really don’t care what anyone else thinks. I care about myself. I care that in 6 months I’ve made an improvement on my lifts, my size, my bodyfat percentage, my diet habbits, etc.

If I’m not seeing improvement in anything, then I know something is amiss and I’ll post here for advice, etc. Sure there’s people that will post that someone only weighs 175 and can only bench 250 so get out of here, but usually in those threads, someone has also posted some great advice, links to key articles that can help, etc.

It could also be that they don’t train to their 1rm. I don’t. I train to my 6 rep max, or my 3 rep max, etc. It moves up and down depending on all sorts of stuff (like today, my kid kept me up all night). As such, I think some people may assume what they’re 1rm is based on their other maximums are.

It could also be that they have no spotters to actually help them train to their 1rm. Where/when I train, I’m usually the only person in the gym, aside for the membership girl who couldn’t help me if I tried.

Anyways, I’m rambling on, but I echo what Stu said in that there’s a lot more important things in life to be worried about…

:slight_smile:

I bench 405 x 8 yesterday.

As a warm-up.

[quote]canes1531 wrote:

As a warm-up.[/quote]

Did your workout partner also happen to deadlift 405x8 yesterday too?

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
While I do agree that most people are a bit disillusioned, I would also like to point out that my own strength and size developed in quite an unproportional manner. I first benched 315 at about 150 lbs, so I always want to believe what people say,… still, with the way the internet is set up, you will always have people willing to support, or backup their claims, and those who boast, rant and moan, and yet you will never see a pic, a vid, or any sort of accomplishment from a blank online profile.

If this issue is honestly preventing you from sleeping well at night, I’m sure there are much bigger concerns to be worried about -lol

People respect big numbers, so it is no shock that people tend to exaggerate thier lifts. I know of very few true bodybuilders who have absolutely no concern as to thier 1rm on the bench. By this I mean, If a magician appeared in front of them and offered to up thier max 100 lbs. instantly , almost all would do it. The next best thing to that is just lying about your strength. If they dont look the part, and they are a bodybuilder than thats thier problem.

[quote]sufiandy wrote:
canes1531 wrote:

As a warm-up.

Did your workout partner also happen to deadlift 405x8 yesterday too?[/quote]

hahahaha

this thread is hilarious

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

S[/quote]

Out of curiosity, what kind of weights do you work with on chest exercises now? Your physique is far more developed than when you were 150 and I wanted to see what kind of strength gains equated to the muscle you put on.

Man up and say this shit on your other account.