Libya: Guess Who Is Our Ally?

[quote]USMCpoolee wrote:
^ Yep, I think he was dragged around town too

edit- but was that the Northern Alliance or the Al Qaeda/Taliban?[/quote]

I was talking how the US helped Afghanistan kick the Russians out of Afghanistan and how after the civil war, the Taliban became our enemy.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

[quote]Gkhan wrote:
How would an unstable Libya benefit anyone?[/quote]

I am not so certain as the overlords as to what would actually make Libya stable – puppet dictator that the Libyans cannot stand or blowing Libya to smithereens to get rid of said puppet dictator?

Why not just do nothing and let the Libyans figure out what to do?[/quote]

That is something China would do…and makes a lot of sense.

[quote]postholedigger wrote:

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

[quote]Gkhan wrote:
How would an unstable Libya benefit anyone?[/quote]

I am not so certain as the overlords as to what would actually make Libya stable – puppet dictator that the Libyans cannot stand or blowing Libya to smithereens to get rid of said puppet dictator?

Why not just do nothing and let the Libyans figure out what to do?[/quote]

Too late, we’ve intervened. We’re enforcing a no-fly zone where we bomb and shoot at ground units. (How does that last sentence make any sense?)[/quote]

Great! What’s next, someone enforces a no-fly zone on our no-fly zone?

[quote]Gkhan wrote:
So, how does it benefit us if Gadaffi is gone from power? At least he was somewhat of an ally as of late?

Maybe just another country we can test new weapons on?[/quote]

If Gadaffi is gone from power he will have answered for his acts of terrorism in France and England, his one count of genocide, another verbal threat of genocide, stop Gadaffis forces from shooting into civilian crowds to suppress rebels (focus is on shooting into civilian crowds); to stop his forces from raiding non-militian towns, taking prisoners and raping the women and children. By the thousands.
Also we aid the libyan envoys that begged the world for help.
Idk
I dont think we really benefit much as Americans but theres a bigger picture to this.

I understand.

But it makes no logical sense to help these people while involved in a “war on terror” against the same people:

Gadaffi said he was “fighting al-Qaeda.”

Interesting.

[quote]Gkhan wrote:
I understand.

But it makes no logical sense to help these people while involved in a “war on terror” against the same people:

Interesting.[/quote]

The article states that there are minimal sectors and “flickers” of al-quaida but in no way under leadership or direct correlation to the Al Qaeda clan inn Pakistan. The only person in that article who stated that Al-Qaeda was a direct problem in Libya was Gaddaffi, who I would not use as a reliable source, especially since he would say anything to get the upperhand in this.

Gadaffi needs to be put away. The man is an open terrorist and a greater evil.
He alone is the reason for many terrorist cells around the world. The libyan goverment funded acts of terrorism in Europe (this is where UK cut there ties to Libya) and Asian, and had attacked Libyans seeking asylum in America. He openly threatened the world with WMDs. He threatened to attack people in Mecca using these so called WMDs. He forced Libyan immigrants into militia cells.

Undoubtly Gadaffi feeds terrorism around the world more than people would think. I think it is smart to take him out of power considering that he was the one setting up training camps for mercenaries and militia for terrorist acts.Charles Taylor and Foday Sankoh both were recruited, trained and supported by Gadaffi and were held responsible for the atrocities committed in Sierra Leon.
This mans reach is alot deeper than just in his country and I think people dont seem to see that.

Kind of chuckled about the latest statement from NATO about what they could do to the rebels.

From Peter Wehner’s article.

“As Libya Descends Into Farce”
http://www.commentarymagazine.com/2011/03/31/as-libya-descends-into-farce/

"Just in case you didnâ??t think the situation in Libya was sufficiently incoherent, we now learn this:

Oana Lungescu, the senior NATO spokeswoman, said, â??Our goal, as mandated by the UN, is to protect civilians against attacks or threats of attack, so those who target civilians will also be targets for our forces, because that resolution will be applied across the board.â??

So the mystery deepens, from whether or not we should arm anti-Qaddafi rebels to whether we should bomb them. Or perhaps weâ??ll do both â?? arm them and then bomb them. Or maybe weâ??ll arm them on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays but bomb them on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I have no idea what we might do on weekends.

This war is turning into a farce, one that would be funny if it werenâ??t so deadly serious."

The war in Libya is unjust, America should not be there.

Clinton: Libyan Forces May Have Used Cluster Bombs

Shame on you! Everybody knows that only we are allowed to use cluster bombs…

[quote]back211 wrote:

[quote]Gkhan wrote:
I understand.

Interesting.[/quote]

The article states that there are minimal sectors and “flickers” of al-quaida but in no way under leadership or direct correlation to the Al Qaeda clan inn Pakistan. The only person in that article who stated that Al-Qaeda was a direct problem in Libya was Gaddaffi, who I would not use as a reliable source, especially since he would say anything to get the upperhand in this.

Gadaffi needs to be put away. The man is an open terrorist and a greater evil.
He alone is the reason for many terrorist cells around the world. The libyan goverment funded acts of terrorism in Europe (this is where UK cut there ties to Libya) and Asian, and had attacked Libyans seeking asylum in America. He openly threatened the world with WMDs. He threatened to attack people in Mecca using these so called WMDs. He forced Libyan immigrants into militia cells.

Undoubtly Gadaffi feeds terrorism around the world more than people would think. I think it is smart to take him out of power considering that he was the one setting up training camps for mercenaries and militia for terrorist acts.Charles Taylor and Foday Sankoh both were recruited, trained and supported by Gadaffi and were held responsible for the atrocities committed in Sierra Leon.
This mans reach is alot deeper than just in his country and I think people dont seem to see that.[/quote]

America has endorsed numerous terrorists over the years, the situation in Libya is just a matter of convenience. If he wasn’t someone who’s been hated for around 30 years the situation would get significantly less time in the news cycle and undoubtedly less attention from western nations and NATO.

[quote]whatever2k wrote:
The western double standard. Nothing new. We supported Al Qaeda when they fought the soviets. We were happy to support contraz in Nicaragua and Pinochet in Chile as well, and up until recently, Mubarak in Egypt and Gadaffi in Libya were serving our interests as well.

Notice how nothing was done by the UN when massacres were occuring in Rwanda, Sudan and when the albanians were slaughtering Serbian civillians.

I wonder if the rebels in Libya starts slaughtering Gadaffi supporters in the western parts of the country, will we bomb them?[/quote]

Sorry, how did we ‘support Al Qaeda when they fought the Soviets’ in light of the fact that:

1. Al Qaeda wasn’t even formed until AFTER the Soviet withdrawal.

2. Western Intelligence agencies NEVER had any contact with Bin Laden during the Soviet War and didn’t even know who he or Al Qaeda was until he sent a lunatic letter to George Bush Snr declaring war on the United States for ‘occupying’ Saudi Arabia then blew up two US Embassys in East Africa killing hundreds of Africans?(US forces entered Saudi Arabia at the behest of their government to help fight Sadam’s forces in the first Gulf War)

3. Yes I have noticed the UN’s lack of action. Perhaps it has something to do with the memberstates of the Human Rights Council(Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Jordan, UAE, Qatar, China, Cuba etc).