Libya: Guess Who Is Our Ally?

Al-Qaeda

According to Libyan rebel leader Abdel-Hakim al-Hasidi, jihadists who fought against the U.S. in Iraq are now fighting with U.S.-supported Libyan rebels seeking to topple Muammar Gadhafiâ??s regime. The Daily Telegraph reports:

In an interview with the Italian newspaper Il Sole 24 Ore, Mr al-Hasidi admitted that he had recruited â??around 25â?? men from the Derna area in eastern Libya to fight against coalition troops in Iraq. Some of them, he said, are â??today are on the front lines in Adjabiyaâ??.

Al-Hasidi says that he fought against coalition forces in Afghanistan in the early days of the â??foreign invasionâ?? as he calls it. But that stint was cut short when he was â??captured in 2002 in Peshwar, in Pakistan.â?? He was then handed over to the U.S. and held in Libya. In 2008, he was released. Al-Hasidi also said that at the time, he recruited about 25 Libyans to fight against the U.S. in Iraq.

These days, al-Hasidi is commanding a group of rebels in Libya who have al Qaeda ties. Libyan rebels have U.S. and coalition support in that country.

Al-Hasidi says that his group of Libyan rebel fighters â??are patriots and good Muslims, not terrorists.â?? He also says that â??members of al-Qaeda are also good Muslims and are fighting against the invader.â?? The Telegraph reports that al-Qaeda has openly supported the Libyan rebellion â??which it said would lead to the imposition of â??the stage of Islamâ?? in the country.â??

The Daily Telegraph notes al-Hasidiâ??s involvement in another Islamist organization, the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group:

US and British government sources said Mr al-Hasidi was a member of the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group, or LIFG, which killed dozens of Libyan troops in guerrilla attacks around Derna and Benghazi in 1995 and 1996.

Even though the LIFG is not part of the al-Qaeda organisation, the United States militaryâ??s West Point academy has said the two share an â??increasingly co-operative relationshipâ??. In 2007, documents captured by allied forces from the town of Sinjar, showed LIFG emmbers made up the second-largest cohort of foreign fighters in Iraq, after Saudi Arabia.

Byron Yorkâ??s analysis over at The Washington Examiner is not to be missed:

There is no doubt that the rebels associated with the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group are violent extremists. The Combating Terrorism Center Report found that the Libyans, along with Moroccans, were more likely than others to become suicide bombers once they were in Iraq. The Sinjar records, plus political developments in the 2007 time period, â??suggest that Libyan factions (primarily the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group) are increasingly important in al Qaeda,â?? the report says.

Now, it is not clear what portion of the Libyan rebels, who enjoy the backing and assistance of the United States military, have been associated with al Qaeda and attacks on the U.S. in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Pakistan. That one reason critics of the Libya war say that the U.S.-led coalition doesnâ??t really know who itâ??s fighting for. But we may learn more in the future, especially if the rebels prevail and some former jihadis find themselves running Libya, courtesy of the United States.

The western double standard. Nothing new. We supported Al Qaeda when they fought the soviets. We were happy to support contraz in Nicaragua and Pinochet in Chile as well, and up until recently, Mubarak in Egypt and Gadaffi in Libya were serving our interests as well.

Notice how nothing was done by the UN when massacres were occuring in Rwanda, Sudan and when the albanians were slaughtering Serbian civillians.

I wonder if the rebels in Libya starts slaughtering Gadaffi supporters in the western parts of the country, will we bomb them?

If it is in our interest to wipe out al Qaeda, then arm the shit out of Gadaffi. But no, we arm the other side so there will possibly be a taliban-like state in freaking libya.

way to go.

[quote]Gkhan wrote:
If it is in our interest to wipe out al Qaeda, then arm the shit out of Gadaffi. But no, we arm the other side so there will possibly be a taliban-like state in freaking libya.

way to go.[/quote]

Gasp! We deliberately set up conditions for instability in the middle east? My word.

Guess we’ll just have to keep up the fantasy that violence in the area is a result of Islamic barbarism and, when it reaches us, scream “They hate us for our freedom.”

See how it all fits together?

So, how does it benefit us if Gadaffi is gone from power? At least he was somewhat of an ally as of late?

Maybe just another country we can test new weapons on?

Gaddafi was an ally?

[quote]Gambit_Lost wrote:
Gaddafi was an ally?[/quote]

He keeps his proles in check, pumps the oil, does no longer blow up shit in the West and leaves Israel alone.

Thats ally-ish enough.

Thought this an interesting article about the connection with Al Qaeda and Libyan rebels.

“About the Libyan Rebel-Al Qaeda Question”
http://www.commentarymagazine.com/2011/03/27/about-the-libyan-rebel-al-qaeda-question/

from the article:

“So, yes, some rebels undoubtedly have ties to al Qaeda. And, yes, it is frightening to think that in a slightly tortured mechanical reading of things, this puts us indirectly on the side of al Qaeda. But there is a more important, more legitimate, and more realistic way to view this. Does America want the rebels indebted to the United States for helping them topple Muammar Qaddafi or want them aligning with al Qaedaâ??s local representatives after we confirm the jihadist narrative that the U.S. does not care about Muslim freedom and only wants to maintain ties with oil-funded dictators?”

[quote]Gkhan wrote:
So, how does it benefit us if Gadaffi is gone from power? At least he was somewhat of an ally as of late?

Maybe just another country we can test new weapons on?[/quote]

I guess you missed his speech that was shown on CNN where he blames the U.S. for all of Libya’s problems and dares us to fight him

[quote]Gkhan wrote:

Why do you use the term “us” like you are one of the overlords who gets to benefit from all their looting?

Don’t think for one second that “their” interests are the same as yours. They don’t care about you or “us”. They care only about their own interests – power.

[quote]Chris87 wrote:

[quote]Gkhan wrote:

I guess you missed his speech that was shown on CNN where he blames the U.S. for all of Libya’s problems and dares us to fight him[/quote]

I missed it, but I’m not surprised.

Gadaffi’s a dick.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

[quote]Gkhan wrote:

Why do you use the term “us” like you are one of the overlords who gets to benefit from all their looting?

Don’t think for one second that “their” interests are the same as yours. They don’t care about you or “us”. They care only about their own interests – power.[/quote]

I use “us” as in Americans, how would bombing Libya beneift this country?

If you look at it like that, you might figure out that I am against a war in Libya.

How would an unstable Libya benefit anyone?

[quote]Menthol wrote:
Thought this an interesting article about the connection with Al Qaeda and Libyan rebels.

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/2011/03/27/about-the-libyan-rebel-al-qaeda-question/

from the article:

“So, yes, some rebels undoubtedly have ties to al Qaeda. And, yes, it is frightening to think that in a slightly tortured mechanical reading of things, this puts us indirectly on the side of al Qaeda. But there is a more important, more legitimate, and more realistic way to view this. Does America want the rebels indebted to the United States for helping them topple Muammar Qaddafi or want them aligning with al Qaedaâ??s local representatives after we confirm the jihadist narrative that the U.S. does not care about Muslim freedom and only wants to maintain ties with oil-funded dictators?”[/quote]

Interesting concept, thought it did not work out so well in Afghanistan once the Russians moved out.

And I doubt it would work at all, being that we are allies with Israel.

[quote]Gkhan wrote:

[quote]Menthol wrote:

from the article:

“So, yes, some rebels undoubtedly have ties to al Qaeda. And, yes, it is frightening to think that in a slightly tortured mechanical reading of things, this puts us indirectly on the side of al Qaeda. But there is a more important, more legitimate, and more realistic way to view this. Does America want the rebels indebted to the United States for helping them topple Muammar Qaddafi or want them aligning with al QaedaÃ?¢??s local representatives after we confirm the jihadist narrative that the U.S. does not care about Muslim freedom and only wants to maintain ties with oil-funded dictators?”[/quote]

Interesting concept, thought it did not work out so well in Afghanistan once the Russians moved out.

And I doubt it would work at all, being that we are allies with Israel.[/quote]

Yeah, didn’t the president of the “provisional government” that the Soviets left behind get tortured and lynched?

^ Yep, I think he was dragged around town too

edit- but was that the Northern Alliance or the Al Qaeda/Taliban?

[quote]USMCpoolee wrote:
edit- but was that the Northern Alliance or the Al Qaeda/Taliban?[/quote]

Who cares? They’re all a bunch of dirty towel heads.

(For those of you who may be taking it the wrong way, I’m kidding)

[quote]Gkhan wrote:
How would an unstable Libya benefit anyone?[/quote]

I am not so certain as the overlords as to what would actually make Libya stable – puppet dictator that the Libyans cannot stand or blowing Libya to smithereens to get rid of said puppet dictator?

Why not just do nothing and let the Libyans figure out what to do?

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

[quote]Gkhan wrote:
How would an unstable Libya benefit anyone?[/quote]

I am not so certain as the overlords as to what would actually make Libya stable – puppet dictator that the Libyans cannot stand or blowing Libya to smithereens to get rid of said puppet dictator?

Why not just do nothing and let the Libyans figure out what to do?[/quote]

Too late, we’ve intervened. We’re enforcing a no-fly zone where we bomb and shoot at ground units. (How does that last sentence make any sense?)

[quote]postholedigger wrote:

[quote]USMCpoolee wrote:
edit- but was that the Northern Alliance or the Al Qaeda/Taliban?[/quote]

Who cares? They’re all a bunch of dirty towel heads.

(For those of you who may be taking it the wrong way, I’m kidding)[/quote]

hahaha