T Nation

LF Suggestions: Energy-Systems Work

Currently I’m lifting to improve strength and make mass gains, but I’m looking to improve my general body comp at the same time. There’s fat that could be done away with that I don’t feel a strict ‘cutting’ phase would be necessary for.

I lift after classes M T Th Fr.

I’m just looking for some suggestions. Should I merely start riding the cycling trainers for 20-30 mins a couple days a week, should I be doing intervals? Links to articles that would be suitable for this would be great.

Thanks in advance.

[quote]Hugo82 wrote:
Currently I’m lifting to improve strength and make mass gains, but I’m looking to improve my general body comp at the same time. There’s fat that could be done away with that I don’t feel a strict ‘cutting’ phase would be necessary for.[/quote]
So you’re trying to get stronger, bigger, and lose fat? Riiiight. Prioritize those - most important, next most important, least important for now. After a while (weeks or months, depends on your results), you can rearrange the priorities. Your nutrition is also going to be a factor.

How are you lifting right now, what’s your program look like each day? (Exercises, sets, and reps)

Instead of hopping on a bike, you could try some more intense finishers.

For ideas, check out Strongman Training for Athletes:

GPP ASAP:

Complexes for Fat Loss:
http://www.T-Nation.com/article/bodybuilding/complexes_for_fat_loss

Even if you just grab a few exercises from any of those programs, and run through them for 10-20 minutes at the end of your workouts a few days a week (I wouldn’t do it after every workout), you’ll increase your conditioning and calories burned per session.

I’m doing Optimized Volume Training (OVT) by CT, but I’m in the 7th week now so I’ll be finished with the first cycle soon.

Ah the whole i want to get strong, lean and ripped …

I am doing Starting Strength at the moment. I am getting more muscular, not defined, as my strength goes up. So eat clean and do a strength program I’d say.

Not so narrowmindedly…

I stated strength, mass gains, imp. body comp. order for a reason; that is the order of my goals.

All three at the same time is not impossible, but obviously improvements in each will be inequal.

Under the right circumstances all three can be accomplished. If I’m a 220lb bodybuilder with 7% bf, no, not all are likely to happen. Being that I’m ~175 and 10-12% bf, age 17, yes it’s a possibility.

I was/am looking for suggestions for activies to compliment my lifting program to assist in my (in this case) tertiary goal.

From what I’ve read, most coaches on this site recommend energy-systems work in tandem with strength training, and if you’re not doing energy-systems work they would slap you up aside the head if the chance presented itself.

I’m looking to fix this error, and instigate some energy-systems work. Yes, I know intervals and steady-state, but I’m loooking for examples of what to do in these instances.