T Nation

Anyone here used or are using Lexapro? I get anxiety around groups of people at times, so I went to a neurologist and he gave me Lexapro. I asked if this would change my mood or anything liek that, and he just said that it would make me "feel better". Thats great if it just somehow helps with anxiety, but im a little leary (sp?) about using stuff that could possibly change my mood around..

I have been on the following pysch meds: Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Prozac, Depakote, Lamictal, Lithium, and Zoloft. I was on Lexapro for about a year, so hopefully I can help you out. Lexapro is a selective seratonin re-uptake inhibitor, or a SSRI. Paxil, Zoloft, Prozac, and Lexapro are all differn SSRI's. They are mood elevators, generally used to help with depression.

Mood is a complicated thing. Many people assume talking a mood elevator will just make them happy all the time. This is incorrect, what it really does is elevate your moods, meaning that if you get angry a lot, that gets elevated too. This is why it is not a great idea to take a SSRI if you are bipolar, like me. I would recommend getting a second opinion from a pychiartist first and foremost.

Your dosage probably is very low, and it takes around half a year to really get everything adjusted and tritrated to a theraputic level, so you have time to get a second opinion. SSRI's can be effective for anxiety, put there are other drugs that might be better. I would suggest looking at this site called crazymeds.org.

They have a lot of info on this subjet. If you need anymore help send me a PM. Best of luck.

I have Severe Depressive Disorder and I can honestly say that I am alive today because of Lexapro.

The purpose of the previously listed anti-depressants is to keep your mood moderated. It takes all the peaks and valleys and TRIES to "level" them out.

The SSRIs are also good for mild anxiety, One med that has really worked for me is the addition of takeing Limbitrol with my Lexapro. Limbitrol is a combination drug of Elavil (another SSRI) and Librium (a benzodiazapine, like Xanax or Valium).

I have had problems with anxiety for about 10 years, and this is the best I've found so far. But remember, everybody's individual body chemistry is different, so how you react to a drug is unique.

So, don't be afraid to try different things until you find something that works for you. But remeber, and this is important, give the meds sufficient time to work so you can evaluate them properly.

I've been on Zoloft and Lexapro. I liked how Zoloft made me feel, but it TOTALLY dried up the libido. That's when I switched to Lexapro. Love it Love it Love it. One drawback, I did gain weight (just a bit) with it--my doc said that Lexapro is more likely to do that than other anti-depressives/anti-anxiety meds.

From my experience, it helps keep the crankies/irritables away. Makes me feel more optimistic. Gives me more energy. I sleep better. I take it for mild depression, but I imagine you'll feel more relaxed and comfortable in social situations. Try it for 6 weeks. If you don't like how it makes you feel, tell your doctor and ease off of it.

You are not alone friend, i too suffer from severe depression, for me the SSRi's worked only moderately, recently i was switched to Cymbalta which as you probably know is a SNRI and it has made all teh difference. Anyone out there suffering from depression please feel free to contact me at any time. Now as far as the social anxiety I think it comes along with the depression, i believe once the depression is treated the social anxiety tends to diminish as well.

I took Lexapro in a very small dose and didn't just add a few pounds, I ballooned up. Nothing like taking an antidepressant that actually gives you more reason to be depressed! I settled in with buproprion (Wellbutrin) which works on dopamine, not serotonin.

The trouble is that there are several brain chemicals that can cause depression if out of balance. It takes a long time to get the right one by trial and error, especially since the applicable drugs take several weeks before any effects are noticeable. You might want to read "The Edge Effect" by E.R. Braverman before going on any drugs, or it might at least help you understand which brain chemical to address.

Just to clarify, Elavil (amitrptyline) is not an SSRI, it is a TCA (tricyclic antidepressant).

With anxiety disorders, there is not really any proven tried and true therapy that works for everyone. Most literature states that anything that has some sedative properties will be effective, but it is different for everyone. Some may respond to TCA's, others SSRI's, and still others, benzodiazepines (ie xanax, valium, ativan).

As stated above, the SSRI's (and other mood modifiers) attempt to level out the concentrations of certain brain chemicals to avoid the peaks and valleys that occur in some people.

I would check with an actual psychiatrist, rather than a neurologist, to find out what is right for you and your specific situation.

My bad, you are right about Elavil.