Lever Belt vs Prong Belt

Dropped enough weight that it’s time for me to grab a smaller weightlifting belt. Have a pioneer cut prong belt right now, and it’s definitely been good to me.

Looking into grabbing a lever belt. Never had one before, but it seems like you have less tongue sticking out the end of the belt, which would be helpful if my waist gets much smaller than it is now. Then again, my prong belt has never failed me, lever is a different territory for me.

What does the group think? Prong or lever?

Prong guys fear the inconvenience and possible spontaneous opening of the lever.

Lever guys love their levers and say that worrying about shit it silly.

2 Likes

And No-Belt guys call the Lever and Prong guys sissies.

2 Likes

There is no such thing as a no belt guy.

3 Likes

Lever, no question. When you are doing high rep crap, you want that belt off ASAP. Trying to fumble with a prong when you wanna puke is awful.

You can see me undoing my lever multiple times here to help catch my breath

I am more than certain I would die otherwise

3 Likes

Yuri Spinov would disagree with that. 937lbs for the no-belt prize.

2 Likes

Thanks gents, appreciate the recommendations. Decided to go with a lever, mainly for the novelty aspect of it if we are being completely honest lol. Got a nice black belt coming my way from Pioneer, will report back with how it treats me once it comes in

3 Likes

This

2 Likes

Late to the convo, I saw you already bought one. But you absolutely made the right choice. I’ve used both in the past, but haven’t used my prong belt once since I got my lever belt. For the reason pwnisher stated, mostly. I want to flip that thing off IMMEDIATELY after a hard set or a taxing event. I’m absolutely not going to fuck around with a prong.

2 Likes

Pioneer has a new lever that allows for different tightness without moving the mounting of the lever. I’d be interested in a review of that if that’s the one you got.

2 Likes

I’m sure you’ve seen the benefit in competition as well, if you are every doing a multi-implement medley. I’ve had a yoke to sandbag even where I wanted a belt for the yoke and DIDN’T want it for the sandbag, and I got good at “Supermanning” the belt off me as I ran from the yoke to the sandbag.

2 Likes

Oh absolutely. For a strongman competitor, this one ends up being a no brainer. No one who takes this sport seriously is using a prong belt. I don’t use a hard belt on any front carries, but i prefer it on things like frame carry and farmers walk (assuming they aren’t crazy light), and ABSOLUTELY yoke. I’ve definitely practiced the ‘drop the hard belt while I run back to pick a sandbag up’ technique, haha.

2 Likes

The sbd doesn’t require any alterations to change the tightness either (that’s what I use). I have a few events in which I wear my hard belt over a soft belt, which means I need it much looser. I also don’t use the same notch for squat vs deadlift.

2 Likes

I did actually order that. The Pal V2 lever. Seemed like it would allow me to adjust a little more, which I like since I tend to keep my belt a tad looser for deadlifts. Will definitely post up a review once it comes in. They did say it would take like 6 weeks to ship, so it will take a minute before I have anything to report

2 Likes

Nice! I wonder if it is as good as the SBD lever. I have my doubts. Would be cool to see, and useful for those in the market for a lever belt. I have the pioneer belt with the offset holes, so I am good at least for awhile. I will say that I really do think having 0.5" hole spacing is great. I think your lever gives you like 0.25" increments which is great!

3 Likes

I have an Inzer 10mm prong belt and love it!
I’m late to the party here but I have always preferred prong belts. Most people prefer lever belts but I agree with you and like my belt a bit looser for deadlifts so easy adjustment is important for me. The V2 sounds like a great choice and looks like an awesome belt… let me know how you like it once it arrives.

2 Likes

@mnben87 im also curious how it compares. I have had nothing but amazing experiences with Pioneer, and the belt certainly isn’t cheap, so I’m expecting a pretty good quality coming in. Would be cool if I had an SBD to compare it too, kind of see the different takes on adjustable lever belts.

@Bronwen_Blunt i had a 10mm inzer prong belt when I was competing back in college, absolutely loved it. Got stolen from my gym a few years back, which was a total shame because I loved that thing and had it broken in perfectly. I’m pretty sold on pioneer as a brand at this point, but I definitely appreciate inzer belts, especially when you consider some of the heritage of that brand

1 Like

That’s actually exactly what happened to me. I had an inzer as my first belt, got stolen out of my car. So I ordered a pioneer prong belt. Unfortunately, I also had a show coming up 2 weeks from when it was stolen, so I asked around to see if anyone had an extra belt I could use. That’s how I ended up with my sbd. A friend had used it once, immediately outgrew it (he got fat) and sold it to me for half of what he paid.

Ive used my pioneer less than a dozen times, it’s basically still brand new.

4 Likes

It’s amazing how often half priced gear is a result of people getting fat, haha. I have a Metal Jack deadlifter that I got for an absolute steal for a similar reason.

3 Likes

Lol, I’m currently dealing with the exact opposite. Someone’s gonna get a great deal on my prong belt once the lever comes in, just because it’s too loose on me now

3 Likes