T Nation

Leukemia

Hey there, my sister in law’s been diagnosed with leukemia recently, and medical treatment aside, I’m wondering what can be done to improve her general health and well-being, and to lessen the impact of the treatment on her. Anyone got experience/suggestions?

[quote]Zen warrior wrote:
Hey there, my sister in law’s been diagnosed with leukemia recently, and medical treatment aside, I’m wondering what can be done to improve her general health and well-being, and to lessen the impact of the treatment on her. Anyone got experience/suggestions?[/quote]

Zen,

I very much feel for you and your family right now as you go through this. My GF has been fighting the good fight against leukemia over the last 3 years and one of my best friends beat it last year. While one of the biggest keys is making sure you deal with the best doctors you possibly can, both my GF and my friend are big believers (as I am now after their results) of eating the best diet you possibly can. The big ones they have focused on were:

• salmon
  • fresh turkey
  • olive oil
  • walnuts
  • cooked tomatoes
  • berries of every kind
  • lots and lots of fresh greens

Actually, my GF was going to a clinic in Denver which ended up proving to be the turning point for her after fighting without a ton of success for 2 years. They had some innovative treatment options, but they were huge believers in a holistic approach and highly focused on diet. I got her some Flameout and when the doctors took a few to sample before they allowed her to take it, they came back as being VERY impressed with the quality (not a big surprise to me, but nice to get some independent validation every once in a while).

Additionally, my GF was a big fan of Metabolic Drive bars and Metabolic Drive chocolate powder. The chemo really kicked her butt at times in terms of her appetite, but she was always able to eat a bar or have a shake even when she wasn’t hungry for regular food.

Definitely feel free to PM me if you have any other questions, but I hope this will at least give you some things to consider. More than anything else, be sure to be there as much as possible for your sister-in-law (and I am guessing your brother) in this situation. Keeping her spirits up well help more than you can imagine.

Kuz

Hey there, my sister in law’s been diagnosed with leukemia recently, and medical treatment aside, I’m wondering what can be done to improve her general health and well-being, and to lessen the impact of the treatment on her. Anyone got experience/suggestions?[/quote]

I had a friend beat about a 10% chance of survival. In addition to all the medical treatment, she used a lot of visualization and meditation.

[quote]Kuz wrote:
I got her some Flameout and when the doctors took a few to sample before they allowed her to take it, they came back as being VERY impressed with the quality (not a big surprise to me, but nice to get some independent validation every once in a while).

Kuz[/quote]

Best wishes to your GF.

Im curious to know what they did exactly to the Flameout…

[quote]Nicholas F wrote:
Kuz wrote:
I got her some Flameout and when the doctors took a few to sample before they allowed her to take it, they came back as being VERY impressed with the quality (not a big surprise to me, but nice to get some independent validation every once in a while).

Kuz

Best wishes to your GF.

Im curious to know what they did exactly to the Flameout…[/quote]

Thank you for the well wishes - they are always apprecaited.

Tell ya what… I will find out what they did to test the Flameout and get back to you.

Sorry about your sister-in-law Zen, best wishes to her, and I`m sure with your support, she will do just fine.

“Beating Cancer With Nutrition” by Quillin

This book has a lot of info on just what you’re asking about. He references his stuff.

Thanks for all the answer guys, it means a lot to me and is much appreciated. My bro and I will definitely look into that diet options and come up with something to help her out.