Letter to My Younger Self Template

Hey Jim,
First of all, thank you for posting here. It’s a rare opportunity to ask details about a training system.

What do you (or anyone else really) think of making a minor change to the template you laid out in this article - A Letter to Young Jim Wendler

• namely, to change the front squats from 5/3/1 to 5x10 to add more volume? The upper body gets quite a bit of pump work in this template as it is but the legs get none at all.

that’s because you also need to run!

The above dude is right - you have have to take the hills, miles and jumps into account.
5x10 ain’t gonna cut it if you want to be great.

If you wanna be more than just a stooge, do the things that real athletes do. It will carry over to other areas.

Good point. Thanks for your input!

This is a serious question and I’m not being a dick: how many weeks have you used this template AND ran hills 3 times a week, did box jumps 3-4 times a week and ran on the “off days” from the weight room?

If you don’t have access to a hill, stair sprints or Prowler. But it has to be a sprint and it has to be done with some kind of “resistance”. Sled sprints would be last resort.

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:
This is a serious question and I’m not being a dick: how many weeks have you used this template AND ran hills 3 times a week, did box jumps 3-4 times a week and ran on the “off days” from the weight room?
[/quote]

None; I’m currently running Madcow’s 5x5 template and plan to start this in October. Note that I was basically looking for someone to tell me not to do 5x10. I didn’t consider the toll that all the running and jumping could take. Long story short: I AM listening, no worries.