Letter to My Younger Self Template

Jim, I recently got a new job and had to change my training. I’m a welder working 55-65 hrs a week lifting Heavy ass steel all day. I don’t have much time, and need to train inline with work, so physique goals went from low priority to being cut out. Strength, and conditioning is all I have time for.

After a lot of thinking I decided to go with the letter to my younger self template, witch I don’t think got the credit it deserved. I’ll do a small amount of explosive work after my warm up then lift, and run/cardio on off days.

I have two questions. 1: I’d like to do some loaded carries/prowler pushes. would it be best to add them on lifting or running days?
2: After the initial cycle would you tweek the template at all besides the increased weights?

[quote]Mr.Selfdestruct wrote:
Jim, I recently got a new job and had to change my training. I’m a welder working 55-65 hrs a week lifting Heavy ass steel all day. I don’t have much time, and need to train inline with work, so physique goals went from low priority to being cut out. Strength, and conditioning is all I have time for.

After a lot of thinking I decided to go with the letter to my younger self template, witch I don’t think got the credit it deserved. I’ll do a small amount of explosive work after my warm up then lift, and run/cardio on off days.

I have two questions. 1: I’d like to do some loaded carries/prowler pushes. would it be best to add them on lifting or running days?
2: After the initial cycle would you tweek the template at all besides the increased weights?
[/quote]

1. I wouldn’t add them in. Not if I was you. So I wouldn’t advise anyone to do them.

2. I wouldn’t change a thing.

sounds good. when we ever stop working 12 I’ll knock that shit out.

Jim you have rows written in this template. Any specific type you think fits best with the rest of the template?

Personally, I would advise dumbbell or a barbell row.

I’ve been doing this template for about 6 months - I do 2 cycles with BBB plus a loaded carry and chins at home then a deload week. Then I do 2 cycles with jokers (usually only 1 or 2 sets), 2 accessories, a loaded carry and chins at home. So at the end of the 4 cycles I have a good idea of my real 1RM (that I can lift with good form) and I reset my training max if necessary and start again.

Jim - was this template written with younger people in mind? I’m 50 in a couple of months…

[quote]homo habilis wrote:
I’ve been doing this template for about 6 months - I do 2 cycles with BBB plus a loaded carry and chins at home then a deload week. Then I do 2 cycles with jokers (usually only 1 or 2 sets), 2 accessories, a loaded carry and chins at home. So at the end of the 4 cycles I have a good idea of my real 1RM (that I can lift with good form) and I reset my training max if necessary and start again.

Jim - was this template written with younger people in mind? I’m 50 in a couple of months…[/quote]

Not really - it was written with myself (in my younger years) in mind. So it was a pretty “selfish” template.

In my opinion it’s one of the most well rounded, and underrated templates.