Dirty Tiger wrote:
Where does chuck go from here?

He can only fight white guys from now on.[/quote]

HAHA! Oh shit, it’s BLACK KRYPTONITE!

[quote]Dirty Tiger wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
Dirty Tiger wrote:

He can only fight white guys from now on.

HAHA! Oh shit, it’s BLACK KRYPTONITE![/quote]

LOL.

The more I think about it, especially since the UFC wants the next LHW title fight to be as big a box office draw as possible, I think Rampage is the only fight for Forrest that’s really viable for them in that regard right now.

I would say that Wandy vs. Forrest would be just as big a draw (maybe even bigger), but Wandy hasn’t quite earned the title shot yet. I think he needs maybe one more win over a top guy.

• ALTHOUGH, deserving-ness aside, if Wandy fought and beat Forrest – (I think he beats Forrest, but in a great slugfest. These two have sparred together a lot at Xtreme Couture, so they know each other’s styles and it will probably be closer than one would normally think) –

THEN, that sets up Rampage for Wandy’s first title defense, and we have the old Pride rivalry rekindled to the n’th degree, with Wandy as champ and Rampage challenging. And we all know THAT’S gonna’ be an a barn-burner!

They’re seriously going to have to tack Rashad-Forrest onto a big fight like GSP-Penn because not many people are going to be into a card with that as the only main event.

[quote]Dirty Tiger wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
Dirty Tiger wrote:

He can only fight white guys from now on.

HAHA! Oh shit, it’s BLACK KRYPTONITE![/quote]

I thought that was fat blondes

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Damici wrote: And if Rampage goes in with the mindset of actually FIGHTING, i.e. follows a sensible gameplan and shows some fucking AGGRESSION, it’s lights-out for Forrest.

This is exactly why I don’t think he was entitled to a re-match. He fucked off in his training camp. He took 9 months off totally from training. He didn’t fight as hard as he should have.

Hard to feel bad for a guy who doesn’t care enough about himself to put the time in the gym he needs to remain champion.[/quote]

Agree 100%.

Oh, and Black man’s kryptonite’s scientific name is Alicia Sacramone

[quote]Damici wrote:
Strong rumors are that the next fight for Wanderlei and Rampage will be against each other. And as good as I think Rampage is nowadays when he’s on, I can’t see the fight going any differently than their previous two fights against each other.

Wanderlei just has a few tools in his style that Rampage doesn’t really know how to neutralize. And Rampage doesn’t seem to be looking to find trainers or coaches or a camp that would add anything new to his own arsenal.

If he put some serious effort into learning some Muay Thai and some Jiu Jitsu he could be the best ever in that division.

But you never know.[/quote]

You’ve got a point about Rampage not seeming to be looking for new info D but I certainly wouldn’t knock his Muay Thai skills. That cat whooped ass in K1 as well as MMA and until the end of the 2nd Wanderlei fight he was winning.

Against an oppenent like Wanderlei he needs to retune his Muay Thai but the skills are already there. Its just a matter of choosing the right gameplan.

OMC

[quote]otoko wrote:
streamline wrote:
Damici wrote:

– MAYBE Rashad (but only if he beats Chuck tomorrow – not likely).

Thoughts?

Ouch! He is so under estimated!

I guess. That fight was uneventful except for the shot that ended the fight. Like Evans was just waiting for that opening. Rampage caught Liddell with an overhand right. Liddell did not fix his low hands. [/quote]

His low hands have never really been the problem…his refusal to actually use other tools than just his fists is what has screwed him. You can only get so far in this game as just a boxer.

I thought having seen the use of kicks, takedowns and even spinning backfists that Chuck was going to return as a dominant force…Looks like it was just a flash in the pan. He showed nothing against Evans bar 2 head kicks because he knew the round was up. Really disappointing from his camp.

OMC

[quote]OMC wrote:
otoko wrote:
streamline wrote:
Damici wrote:

Thoughts?

I guess. That fight was uneventful except for the shot that ended the fight. Like Evans was just waiting for that opening. Rampage caught Liddell with an overhand right. Liddell did not fix his low hands.

His low hands have never really been the problem…his refusal to actually use other tools than just his fists is what has screwed him. You can only get so far in this game as just a boxer.

I thought having seen the use of kicks, takedowns and even spinning backfists that Chuck was going to return as a dominant force…Looks like it was just a flash in the pan. He showed nothing against Evans bar 2 head kicks because he knew the round was up. Really disappointing from his camp.

OMC

[/quote]

Well I think we aren’t giving Rashad and his camp enough credit for coming up with a successful game plan. They got Chuck chasing and reaching and Rashad was able to capitalize by getting Chuck to come forward. It was exactly the kind of game plan I suspect Machida would have employed as well, and Rashad pulled it off to a T.

Other than utilizing a few low kicks from the outside, Chuck’s other options were to either try for a takedown or clinch which really isn’t his style or to remain patient and lead into an extremely boring fight which I don’t think he wanted.

I wouldn’t be so quick to write Chuck off at this point, sure he’s suffered a couple devastating loses, but he’s been fighting quality competition.

[quote]slimjim wrote:

Well I think we aren’t giving Rashad and his camp enough credit for coming up with a successful game plan. They got Chuck chasing and reaching and Rashad was able to capitalize by getting Chuck to come forward.

It was exactly the kind of game plan I suspect Machida would have employed as well, and Rashad pulled it off to a T.

Other than utilizing a few low kicks from the outside, Chuck’s other options were to either try for a takedown or clinch which really isn’t his style or to remain patient and lead into an extremely boring fight which I don’t think he wanted.

I wouldn’t be so quick to write Chuck off at this point, sure he’s suffered a couple devastating loses, but he’s been fighting quality competition.[/quote]

Your absolutely right…Rashad and his camp had their tactics down to a tee. What I mean is that with chuck only punching there is only one element of range and timing to consider for a countering strategy.

Rashads stratey therefore became far easier to execute then it otherwise would have been. If chuck chooses to keep going(which I hope as a fan, he does) then he simply HAS to go back to his kickboxing roots.

Can anybody here possibly imagine Jacksons camp coming up with a standup strategy to face the Iceman when he was knocking fools out with headkicks like Babalu and dropping coutures and Titos? EVERYBODY has his number now. Hell if Tito gets back into the UFC I’d say he’d kill to get a rematch.

Chucks camp either need to show some tactical skills or chuck needs to find a new home ala Hatton. The later will never happen though.

OMC

Best for me: Wanderlei Silva, and I think he won the fight against the Ice Man (this can be a bit biased as Im brazilian)

Following him there’s Rampage, Ice Man, Forest and I think Jardine deserves to be mentioned here. I think that Rashad got lucky against Chuck, who is way tougher than he is. If Rashad fights Forest (or any other of the big guys) he will get beat bad.

[quote]OMC wrote:
otoko wrote:
streamline wrote:
Damici wrote:

Thoughts?

I guess. That fight was uneventful except for the shot that ended the fight. Like Evans was just waiting for that opening. Rampage caught Liddell with an overhand right. Liddell did not fix his low hands.

OMC

[/quote]

I think it is a problem if you come in throwing a right uppercut with your left hand low. Actually I think it is a problem if you don’t set up your right uppercut with anything.

I agree with your point that Liddell does not mix it up.

[quote]otoko wrote:
OMC wrote:
otoko wrote:
streamline wrote:
Damici wrote:

Thoughts?

OMC

I think it is a problem if you come in throwing a right uppercut with your left hand low. Actually I think it is a problem if you don’t set up your right uppercut with anything.

I agree with your point that Liddell does not mix it up.

[/quote]

yeah, chuck has always neglected boxing defense. in the past his durability covered his ass, but his chin has been taking beating lately.

i don’t expect to see chuck adopt basic boxing defense. after his fight with quinton he admitted his mistake, but he kept on making mistakes and he continues to do so. his reflexes are going as well. that punch rashad landed couldn’t have been any better even if he had sucker punched him.

Liddell reminds me of RJJ in a that when they were young fighters, they could get away with sloppy/poor habits, like keeping their hands down, due to their natural gifts.

But, much like RJJ in his later career, age has begun to catch up with Liddell. Now all of the sudden his bad habits are starting to become liabilities and he’s been beaten several times due to them.

At this point I don’t know if he could or would re-learn some good fundamental habits (like keeping his hands up), or if he could develop high level skills in other areas of combat (submission, offensive wrestling, etc…). It would be tough, if even possible, but I honestly don’t think he’s going to be able to regain the title without doing it.

[quote]slimjim wrote:
They’re seriously going to have to tack Rashad-Forrest onto a big fight like GSP-Penn because not many people are going to be into a card with that as the only main event.[/quote]

Two Ultimate Fighter winners fighting for the championship. I think they can make a spin on that. I think it will be an awesome fight. Neither one is going to give up and they both love to fix it up.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
Liddell reminds me of RJJ in a that when they were young fighters, they could get away with sloppy/poor habits, like keeping their hands down, due to their natural gifts.

But, much like RJJ in his later career, age has begun to catch up with Liddell. Now all of the sudden his bad habits are starting to become liabilities and he’s been beaten several times due to them.

At this point I don’t know if he could or would re-learn some good fundamental habits (like keeping his hands up), or if he could develop high level skills in other areas of combat (submission, offensive wrestling, etc…). It would be tough, if even possible, but I honestly don’t think he’s going to be able to regain the title without doing it.[/quote]

Lidell can’t learn anything new 'cause it would completely change and disrupt his style, which he’s had his whole life. It’s carried him as far as it has, but he’s getting old and has taken some beatings. He’s been “figured out” and his career is done. Just my opinion.

Also, Wanderlei Silva vs Griffin is a horrible match-up for Griffin. Griffin’s tough as nails and has a helluva chin, but has little power. With Silva coming forward initiating a slugfest Griffin would get taco’d fast. Again, just my opinion.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Sentoguy wrote:

At this point I don’t know if he could or would re-learn some good fundamental habits (like keeping his hands up), or if he could develop high level skills in other areas of combat (submission, offensive wrestling, etc…). It would be tough, if even possible, but I honestly don’t think he’s going to be able to regain the title without doing it.

Lidell can’t learn anything new 'cause it would completely change and disrupt his style, which he’s had his whole life. It’s carried him as far as it has, but he’s getting old and has taken some beatings. He’s been “figured out” and his career is done. Just my opinion.
[/quote]

How so? He can still counter punch, and throw looping odd angle punches with his hands up. I wasn’t talking about trying to teach him how to punch a different way. More so, to keep his hands up, to always have one hand protecting his head while the other is punching, and other fundamentals. That would not disrupt his style, only make it less vulnerable.

[quote]
Also, Wanderlei Silva vs Griffin is a horrible match-up for Griffin. Griffin’s tough as nails and has a helluva chin, but has little power. With Silva coming forward initiating a slugfest Griffin would get taco’d fast. Again, just my opinion.[/quote]

But damn would it be an exciting fight. Griffin/Bonner 1 was probably one of the most exciting fights I’ve ever seen. It was in the same league as Gati/Ward 1 and 2 (if you follow boxing). You don’t see too many fights that are that action packed, that close, and go the distance. Wandy is even more aggressive than Bonner, so this could potentially be one of the most action packed fights ever in the UFC (if Forrest is willing to make it that type of fight).

IT was indeed a shame to see Chuck just go out there with business as usual tactics. Wtf is his camp thinking anyway?
No kicks or anything new at all. What a dissapointment that was. Seeing the spinning backfist and the takedown on Wandy, was just a glimpse of what he should be doing now.
I think he needs more aggressiveness also in todays arena. He paced around with Rashad the whole first round and basicly let Rashad get his number on the timing while doing diddly shit. He just doesn’t seem to move around well at all. He was clearly getting frustrated trying to keep up with Rashad in the cage.

I’ve been worried and irritated about his low hanging hands for quite some time now, and had thought for sure he would have been mixing shit up a lot more by now to stay a force in the game. I’m almost wondering if he needs to get a new camp now if John can’t get a better gameplan together than what we saw Saturday night.
Anyone think a new camp might be the ticket yet besides me?

Happy for Pelligrino fwtw. He’s a gamer every time.

Maybe Chuck should take a trip to Duke City.

EVANS IS KING