Let's Talk UFC 77

Rich Franklin vs. Anderson Silva:

I didn’t see anything in the first fight that led me to believe that Rich Franklin can beat Anderson Silva. I’m sure he’s work on his weaknesses, but I think that Silva is better at everything. I don’t think Rich is going to make it to the end, he’ll be finished by either TKO or submission.

Tim Sylvia vs. Brandon Vera:

Tim Sylvia is going to try to keep Vera at bay with his jab and ride out a decision. Vera is going to go in for the kill. This match probably won’t get past the first round. Vera will get the TKO or submission in the first. He’s too fast, too athletic, and has much better skills than Sylvia.

Josh Burkman vs. Forrest Petz:

I don’t really know much about Petz, but after getting dominated by Karo, this is likely set up for a guaranteed win for Burkman. Burkman by decision.

These are the only fights posted on UFC.com so far. Anyone know what the rest of the card is?

I just saw that Belcher is fighting Kaleb Starnes as well. I think Starnes has the tools to win, but not the mindset and his condtioning is suspect. I pick Belcher.

Tim is going to look he’s fighting underwater next to Vera. Can’t wait to see it live.

Silva is the man for sure. Sylvia on the other hand. I hope his ass gets handed too him. Either way, ive got considerably less interest in this UFC that others of less.

Belcher is going to wreck Starnes, imo.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
Tim is going to look he’s fighting underwater next to Vera. Can’t wait to see it live.[/quote]

This is the fight I’m looking forward to most as well.

As for the other one, I don’t see Franklin in the same league as Silva, and his last performance against Okami didn’t persuade me otherwise.

Like I said before, I just hope Franklin leaves the wife and inlaws at home this time b/c he is going to get a beating.

If that last overhand elbow Silva threw before the final knee would have connected Franklins would have been fucked.

I give Franklin respect for getting back in the ring with him but think it might be the end of him. Silva is ruthless and won’t back off until Franklin is lying on the canvas twitching again.

whats’ with the Vera hype? It’s ridiculous. I just have to scratch my head. I’m not a fan of Sylvia, but I think he’s going to take Vera apart.

[quote]AdamC wrote:
whats’ with the Vera hype? It’s ridiculous. I just have to scratch my head. I’m not a fan of Sylvia, but I think he’s going to take Vera apart.[/quote]

Vera has only demolished everyone the UFC has put in front of him. What have you seen that makes you doubt his skills?

I really don’t have any interest in the Vera/Sylvia fight. I think they are both overated. The Franklin/Silva fight is the one I am looking forward to! I think/hope Silva wins it again. I like his elusive style, which has clearly given lots of problems to the stiff Frankenstein rythmLESS bunch that have dominated the UFC. I don’t understand why fighters take rythm so lightly. Hasn’t anyone learned anything from Ali?

Half these guys come into the ring like stumbling drunks.

Franklin is and always has been my favorite fighter, but I don’t think he can pull this one out. Silva has his match standing up and on the ground. Still, I’ll be rooting for Rich all the way.

Brandon Vera is going to steamroll through Tim Silvia, although I do think they’re both supremely overrated. Hopefully this will be Sylvia’s last fight.

-dizzle

[quote]Fitnessdiva wrote:
I don’t really know much about Petz, but after getting dominated by Karo, this is likely set up for a guaranteed win for Burkman. Burkman by decision.
[/quote]

Karo is a badass. Did you know he barely trains for his fights? He’s also a pretty cool guy.

[quote]Clark Banner wrote:
I really don’t have any interest in the Vera/Sylvia fight. I think they are both overated.
[/quote]

First person in history to call Tim Sylvia overrated.

As for Vera, I think he is the future of the sport. He has the perfect background for MMA IMO. Great greco-roman, great submission skills, and he trains muay thai with Mr. Low Kick Rob Kaman. He is going to break Timmah down with low kicks.

And I agree that a lot of fighters have neglected a lot of the boxing basics. You always see guys circling the wrong way and throwing off the wrong foot. Obviously it’s a small part of the game and guys can get by without moving like Sugar Ray, but if there is one area where I think MMA fighters as a whole can elevate the level of the game it is working with great boxers and boxing trainers. Look what Ron Frazier did for 43 year old Randy Couture.

Damn, never fails to put a smile on my face to see women (especially cute ones) talking MMA. :slight_smile:

[quote]Fitnessdiva wrote:
Rich Franklin vs. Anderson Silva:

I didn’t see anything in the first fight that led me to believe that Rich Franklin can beat Anderson Silva. I’m sure he’s work on his weaknesses, but I think that Silva is better at everything. I don’t think Rich is going to make it to the end, he’ll be finished by either TKO or submission.
[/quote]

I agree. Franklin is well rounded, but Silva just seems to be better than him at every range of combat. Honestly, I think that Franklin’s only chance is on the ground (as that’s really the range where Silva seems to be weakest). But I really haven’t seen anything from Franklin that has led me to believe that he is a better ground fighter than Silva. Maybe a “lay and pray” decision win, but that’s really it.

If the fight stays on the feet, than Silva will most likely end it within the first round. If Franklin is able to take it to the ground (and that’s a very big IF) it may go longer, but I still see Silva winning it.

Silvia’s only real chance of winning this fight is, well the only real chance he’s had of winning any of his fights, and that’s a puncher’s chance. If he connects, it’ll most likely be lights out for Vera. But, Vera seems to be very well trained in his stand up and will most likely run circles around Tim on the feet.

Now, on the ground, even though Vera is the better more technical grappler, Silvia’s size and strength will probably give him problems. Silvia isn’t all that terrible of a grappler either. He’s by no means world class, but he isn’t terrible, and his size and strength allow him to give a lot of guys problems (Monson for instance).

I honestly think that if the fight ends early it’s anybody’s guess who will be left standing. Both have KO ability. But, if it goes the distance or into later rounds I see Vera winning. Like someone else said, he may try to chop Silvia down with his leg kicks. I just hope that if he does try that, his MT coach has taught him enough to not drop his hands (a bad habit that you see a lot of MT guys do), as Tim has proved in the past that he is willing to eat a leg kick in exchange for a big overhand/straight right (think Pedro Rizzo).

Don’t really know much about Petz either, so I can’t really comment on him or his style.

Burkman on the other hand is a tough dude, and I wouldn’t really consider getting beat by Karo as being an indicator that he’s not up to snuff. Karo is a tough, tough guy and if not for an injury would have had a shot at Hughes some time ago for the belt. Burkman did at least last the fight and forced Karo to a decision (even though it was unanimous).

Either way hopefully it’ll be a good fight.

Good training,

Sentoguy

Hey Donut62, this is kcb from over at Bloodyknux. Didn’t know you posted over here, too.

[quote]apwsearch wrote:
Like I said before, I just hope Franklin leaves the wife and inlaws at home this time b/c he is going to get a beating.

If that last overhand elbow Silva threw before the final knee would have connected Franklins would have been fucked.

I give Franklin respect for getting back in the ring with him but think it might be the end of him. Silva is ruthless and won’t back off until Franklin is lying on the canvas twitching again.[/quote]

That sounds about right.

I think the Vera/Sylvia fight is going to be a boring one. You can expect to see Sylvia bring his cautious style back to the ring. I will say that I gained a little respect for Sylvia in the last fight. He didn’t come off as a complete jackass in the post-fight interview. I digress.

I see this one going to a decision, either way. Sylvia by boring UD.

[quote]A-Dizz wrote:
Franklin is and always has been my favorite fighter, but I don’t think he can pull this one out. Silva has his match standing up and on the ground. Still, I’ll be rooting for Rich all the way.

-dizzle[/quote]

I’m glad to see people aren’t actually fickle fans.

Stick by your boy, man!

Not exactly the most interesting card, probably gonna end up watching it online…

Going along with the wonderful spirit of 2007 though, I predict Franklin knocking Silva down in the first round and pouncing on him to finish by submission, Sylvia out-striking Vera for 2 rounds to establish his dominance before taking him to the ground with ease and submitting him, and Burkman getting ktfo’d by Petz. Oh, and Belcher vs. Starnes…well now there’s a toss-up.

I really don’t know what is going to happen in Sylvia/Vera. This year has messed me up.
I think Vera is more talented and skilled. Still Sylvia is very big. Randy did great against him but his gameplan was very good and he executed it perfectly.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
D

Tim Sylvia vs. Brandon Vera:

Tim Sylvia is going to try to keep Vera at bay with his jab and ride out a decision. Vera is going to go in for the kill. This match probably won’t get past the first round. Vera will get the TKO or submission in the first. He’s too fast, too athletic, and has much better skills than Sylvia.

Silvia’s only real chance of winning this fight is, well the only real chance he’s had of winning any of his fights, and that’s a puncher’s chance. If he connects, it’ll most likely be lights out for Vera. But, Vera seems to be very well trained in his stand up and will most likely run circles around Tim on the feet.

Now, on the ground, even though Vera is the better more technical grappler, Silvia’s size and strength will probably give him problems. Silvia isn’t all that terrible of a grappler either. He’s by no means world class, but he isn’t terrible, and his size and strength allow him to give a lot of guys problems (Monson for instance).

I honestly think that if the fight ends early it’s anybody’s guess who will be left standing. Both have KO ability. But, if it goes the distance or into later rounds I see Vera winning. Like someone else said, he may try to chop Silvia down with his leg kicks. I just hope that if he does try that, his MT coach has taught him enough to not drop his hands (a bad habit that you see a lot of MT guys do), as Tim has proved in the past that he is willing to eat a leg kick in exchange for a big overhand/straight right (think Pedro Rizzo).

Sentoguy

[/quote]

Dropping the same hand as the kicking foot really isn’t a bad habit for Muay Thai guys, as long as you bring up the opposite elbow across your face it is textbook.
I think what he shouldn’t do is just throw low kicks without setting them up or not following them up with anything. With the size difference he could just get knocked out. Though if Rob Kaman is his coach then this all should not be a problem.
I think Sylvia should throw knees when Vera tries to engage in striking or close the distance, like Semmy Schilt does. That is if Sylvia can lift his knees that high.