Let's Talk Sprinting

Now that I’m attending university, I have very little time on hands. Since the gym here is always jam packed, I decided to focus my training on Sprinting, exclusively. I’ve been searching the net and Youtube for some good knowledge, and have learned a lot.

But I have not been able to find a good training program for beginner sprinters. I’m not talk about, “Oh just run some 400m, 800m, 100m etc…” I’m talking about a training program that includes bounding, skipping, elbows/knees, arm swing; all the supplemental, yet essential movements that creates a great sprinter.

Until I can hash out a legitimate program, I have just been doing a ton of bounding, butt kicks, high knees, elbows and knees, and bodyweight plyometric movements - mostly form work. Do we have any sprinters in here that could advise a good training program, or how I should structure a program?

You need to improve

Form/technique, or the skill of sprinting. Working towards optimal style. “Better” strides are faster strides.

Cardio or aerobic capacity, or your conditioning. Working towards maintaining peak exertion for a longer period of time. The longer you can go fast, the faster you will be.

The amount of force you produce with each step. Getting stronger(better) at jumps will how increase how much force you can generate. Jumping will also teach you to generate this max force, faster.

A smart Russian guy with a long name divides jumps into 2 categories, “short” and “long.”

Short jumps are box jumps, or standing broad jumps, 1 shot, max force jumps.

Long jumps are repetitive, cyclic jumps. Like skipping, or triple jumping or bounding. Repeated, symmetrical, “bouncey.”

He says to practice short jumps in one session, and long jumps in another session. Similar to the way you would alternate Heavy(intensity) and Light(volume) workouts with weights. By alternating “short” and “long” jump training sessions you work on more “skills.”

Start with the “easist” stuff you can do and still get a workout. Increase the intensity of your methods gradually. So start with broad jumps and box jumps and get everything you can out of them before you progress to ploy metrics and depth jumps.

The stronger your abs and hips and hamstrings get, the faster you will be. Even sneaking into the gym to do hanging leg raises, back raises and seated calf raises for 3-5 sets each will help.

Sprinting is tough because form and technique are so important and everyone has different things they need to correct. That’s why having a good coach is important. It’s also why you won’t find many programs to follow.

If you are going to go it alone, the best thing you can do is watch great sprinters over an over again, particularly sprinters with a similar body type to how you are built. Study how they move and try to mimic their movements. If you can record yourself and study your own form that will help too. Learn from the best.

the trackstarusa website has some pretty good base templates for sprinting.

I would to join s track team. It would help to have some coaching.