Trout is a member of the salmon family and subfamily (salmoninae sp?). I'm not a biology guy I just enjoy catching, viewing and eating (if the fish tastes good, I mainly catch and release).
I love to fish. Freshwater (living in Minnesota) and have only been able to fish salt 4 times. My favorite fish I've caught and eaten!
1) Walleye (white meat delivious cooked in butter or lightly breaded)
2) Trout (oily, but kindof dependent on species or diet of the fish, sometimes like "salmon" sometimes not so much lol)
1) Halibut (white pan cooked or baked in butter with lemon)
1) Yellow fin tuna (raw dog, sashimi boom)
2) Hogfish (crazy delicious white fish that eats crabs and other crustaceounz so it tastes like crab)
3) Mahi Mahi (dorado)