Lets talk dead stop movements..

Most of us have read about and use dead stop movements, like tricep extensions, etc.

Do you try to perform dead stop exercises when possible?

What do you think about starting to do most movements from a dead stop? (example, deadlift from pins, etc)

TO CLARIFY: Dead stop, meaning relaxing before flexing muscle to lift)

I really don’t think you have to relax your muscles when doing deadstop movements. I’ll do deadstop hacksquat, pin press, tri ext, and I never relax my muscles between reps. To clarify: deadstop means from a dead-stop. I love them.

I prefer keeping constant tension on my muscles, but that doesn’t say deadstop movements don’t work.

I love doing deadstop dumbbell rows (made more popular by John Meadows I believe).

My wrists didn’t seem to enjoy it for benching - perhaps my setup was wrong…

Do enjoy rackpulls, Good Mornings from pins too.

I guess you count count deadlifts where you reset.

I wouldn’t do thsi for any iso moves, CT has talked about this for biceps in the past about not relaxing at bottom etc.

I’ve done dead stop DB laterals (rough as hell by the way -lol), as well as benching from pins. Both are certainly a nice shock to those who don’t realize how much the little bit of muscular tension at portions of the ROM can contribute to your peformance.

S

I thought that dead stop movements are safer on the joints, because they prevent “bouncing” at the bottom (rubberband like effect)?

[quote]eyegainweightbig wrote:
I thought that dead stop movements are safer on the joints, because they prevent “bouncing” at the bottom (rubberband like effect)? [/quote]

I imagine that the stronger one is the more stress is placed on the joints. A stronger person can create a more explosive contraction. Meaning the wrists accelerate faster (into the stationary bar) for a stronger person. The wrists dont normally experience any impact like that in normal lifting.

When I start feeling some elbow pain, switching from skullcrushers to lying deadstop ez bar ext helps a ton. I dont know if you can say that all deadstop movements are better for joints than free range, probably depends on the movement and the person.

For the past couple of months or so I have been using dead stop squats once every other week.

I decided to do this to fix my squat as I have ALWAYS had piss poor technique. I pretty much had every issue relating to poor technique and it just kept me from EVER making serious progress in weight.

-not able to fall properly into the hole (mostly a flexibility issue)
-knees caving coming out of the hole.
-hips rising too fast making me good morning the weight.
-weak lower back not allowing me to stay upright. (see above)
-zero explosiveness out of the hole (I think due to all of the above)

I set the pins so I would hit close to a full squat. Being able to drop that far down into the hole knowing I didn’t immediately have to transition back up allowed me to concentrate on holding a proper posture till I hit the pins.

Once I hit the pins I could sit for a second and allow my body to FEEL what it’s like to correctly be in the hole- knees out, arched and upright back, as well as forcing some flexibility I never had. It also allowed my mind to cue on what I needed to do coming back up and to hold the proper position I was already in as well as forcing me to be explosive coming up since I had to move the weight from a standstill.

Usually start light, working in reps of 3 till I hit a weight I can’t hit for one, then pyramiding back down. Finish with a lighter high rep set without the pins to reinforce the technique.

Lately, on my regular squat days, I have noticed a much better feel in the hole along with a considerable diminishing in the above list of issues.

Anyway, out of all the dead stop movements I’ve used, this has been the one I’ve gotten the most out of.

I only like deadstop movements on

any type of pressing

half squats from pins = awesome

rack pulls

deadlifts

thats it but i dont currently use any of these, i might be doing pause bench but thats it

I like to throw them in every now and then, pretty much like others have said. Pin presses from different angles and grips, extensions, even deadstop barbell curls sometimes, DB rows, etc etc. Just another tool in the tool box. your mileage may vary.

whats the benefit of deadstops???

Only for speed work. Trying to push heavy murders my joints.

I added pin bench press and pin should press to my press workouts, setting the pins up at my sticking point. Both my standing OHP and bench press 1rm jumped 10lbs in just a month, and that’s from popping a blood vessel in my eye to barely get the weight up, to smooth rep with little to no signs of sticking.

Just my two cents, as I don’t have a fraction of the experience of some of the above posters, but I think they are great for 1-4 reps if your goal is to bring up a big lift with them…but for rep work, stick to full ROM stuff.

Coincidentally, this article came out:

…What do you guys think about one arm DB floor press? I am excited to try it out, I read good things about it. Any experience?