Let's Talk About Race and Police!

Thanks…
I do really want to move this conversation beyond my personal experiences, they were merely there as an illustration and reference point.

The staggering black-on-black crime rate is something that simply cannot be ignored as factoring into the issue. On both sides, there is an inherent distrust of police in the black community, so they do not talk to the cops or help them in anyway when crimes are reported, so many of these crimes go unsolved. They are perhaps distrustful because they or someone close to them was unjustly harassed, or something negative happened. Or perhaps they do not believe that the police can help them should they talk and talking could potentially be a death sentence. The police get frusterated and start being more aggressive because they have crimes on the dockets in need of solved and with few leads, the toss a wide net. This aggravates the community and become more distrustful of police and we have a vicious cycle.

I see this as one scenario that makes this situation spiral into something neither can live with. And both have a wall of silence so rather than dealing with it, the feeling fester and then everything is seen through the lens of race.

I have long believed by using the paradigm of race for everything, it perpetuates and increases rather than reduces racism…

I just heard a college here locally forcibly, by putting it in their core classes, a class called, “White privilege and race relations”. That’s flat indoctrination right there. And if they wanted a really insensitive mother fucker, put me in that class. I would say shit just to piss them off, even if I don’t believe it myself. This kind of shit only makes it worse not better. Telling white people they are privileged just cause they are white is a racist fucking thing to say, do and act on. It’s a myth. I have known lots of white people who have endured a lot of misery in their lives, I pretty sure they don’t feel privileged in anyway shape or form. This whole ‘white privilege’ myth is just as racist and making a judgement on somebody because they are black. But hate whites, Christians, Jews and republicans. It’s ok to denigrate them, disparage, insult them, accuse them, call them out, publically because under the name of social justice, its a- ok to be a racist and a xenophobe and sexist, so long as you pick the right race, sex and religion to mock; it’s not only ok, it’s celebrated.

1 Like

This isn’t a ‘let’s beat up on cops’ thread. I think most agree there are good ones and there are bad ones. There is some systemic issues that need to be addressed, no doubt.

But if we want to be clear minded, thoughtful and truly seek a solution, we need to drill down on what the problems actually are and fix them. Not operated on the narrative that 12 youtube videos, as bad as they are, means all police are bullies, bad, and racist. 12 Youtube videos are not a microcasm of the problem. They are rare exchanges caught on tape. And while lessons can be learned from those instances, they are not the end all be all of the problem.

Cops don’t wake up in the morning wondering how many black people they can get away will killing that day. I am sure there are a few, but that’s not the macro view.

It’s not all the cops fault, and it’s not all black people’s fault. There are faults, they need to be identified. I want to know what those problems are exactly. I don’t want to work like BLM where they just blindly protest police and call for their deaths and then be shocked when it happens and they are associated with it. Those assholes are only making the problem worse.

“What do we want? DEAD COPS!; When do we want them? Right now” ← Then they were surprised someone took that call and actually did it? And they want no blame, like they are peaceful themselves? They don’t want the blame, yet many, many, many BLM followers were documented on Twitter approving of or even celebrating the Dallas attacks. 'Fuck outta here! That day, they lost any credibility they may have had.

1 Like

Yeah, I hear that there is an inherent distrust of the Police within the Mafia too.

Anyway, you are spot on with your assessment regarding the inane college classes named after “white Privilege”. They are literally creating friction among races just as Obama did when he came down on the Police every time there was a killing of a black person. Didn’t matter that the black thugs in question were guilty as hell.

Again, not every police officer is in the right every time I am not claiming that at all.

I sadly do not see an end to this problem any time soon.

Your thoughts?

We don’t have a bad, racist, evil bigot cop problem. What we do have is a stupidity, ignorance and lack of functional common sense problem.

2 Likes

I couldn’t have said it any better.

My thoughts is that the claim of “white privilege” is as racist as any other claim. And it should be called what it is, a racist statement. Whether or not white people suffer differently than anybody else, I don’t know. But to say they suffer less because they are white, is a racist statement.
Nobody has walked in anybody else’s shoe’s. Until you have you have no right to comment.
If you want to be a victim, you will be, but you wanted to be. If you want to do better, then get off your ass and make it better. Effort, hard work and integrity have no color.
Doing the best youcan, whether you succeed or fail has no color.

The more you pay attention to color, the more of a problem you make it. It does not matter what side or who you are.

It’s only the moment you decide you are not going to make skin color a problem, do cease to be a racist. As long as you focus on color, you will always be a racist; despite your own race.

I want to be color blind, but I will not accept a burden that is not mine because of my race. To accuse it, or accept it is all racist.

People need to get over themselves and accept responsibility for themselves. Its only when we do this will the real racism finally break down. As long as you are looking for a victim or a perpetrator you will always be a racist.

1 Like
2 Likes

On a serious note, I think this Imprimis article is a must read. The Danger of the “Black Lives Matter” Movement

I put this link up in the Chicago thread, but it belongs here. If you are interested. I’ve been reading Imprimis for a few years now. They do some really fantastic articles.

2 Likes

I agree with some of what you’re saying, but the concept of white privilege does in no way imply that every white person is, on the whole, privileged (not sure if that sounds weird, not a native speaker). It also doesn’t mean that white people are never or cannot be discriminated against, be it for being white or any other reason. It simply means that, on the whole, white people are less often and less severely discriminated against because of their race compared to others.

I’m not doubting the intensity of those 34 weeks, but honestly, I think that is very little time to properly prepare someone for any job, let alone one carrying so much responsibility. Over here, it takes three years of training to become a police officer, and I’d be very uncomfortable if anyone tried to shorten that process.

Where are you? If you are in a European country, then your whole process is different, especially , if you are part of your country’s MOI/ MOD. Different concepts and training. If you are in Japan, then it considered an actual professional and one usually attends LEO college for four years. Different agencies in the US, have different individual state standards, for example: The Los Angles academy is 6 months (training, not in the field), while mine was 34 weeks.

You can research different aspects of US policing on this website, however, its for state and local, not the Federal agencies.

Also, just curious, are you carrying weapons?

www.PoliceOne.com

Thanks for the link, haven’t had time to really look into it yet, but I will. I’m from Germany, and yes, the training concepts obviously seem to be quite different from each other. I’m in no way commenting on the quality of police training in the US and am in no position to do so. It’s just that in my experience, when a lot of training is crammed into a (relatively) short time-frame, that’s often a decision made by bureaucrats in order to save costs, and is sometimes done against the better judgement of people in that actual profession.

As to weapons, do you mean me personally? No, I don’t.

Well you are seeing how well your policing is working in Köln when radically different mindsets and culture come together, aren’t you.
Thousands of women being assaulted.

At the very least your men citizens could get out into the street and act like men, since your police are doing zero

Thanks for the reply. Did some training with the GSG9 and most of the street officers I saw were carrying MP-5’s. I was curious of any changes since the massive influx of people.

Yes, MP-5’s are still used by all German police forces. Those you saw on the streets were propably federal police guarding some kind of landmark, transportation hub etc. Normal state police usually have one MP-5 per squad car, but don’t carry it openly unless there’s a reason to use it. I’m not aware of any changes in recent months, but it’s been discussed to provide officers with more ammunition. In some states, they currently just carry a single clip.

Just to make sure there’s no confusion, I personally don’t work in law enforcement.

It never ceases to amaze me the stupidity of police /political administrators. Lets hope they don’t run into about 4 active shooters with AK’s and multiple mags, you know, like the Paris attacks. [quote=“dicksharpe, post:116, topic:220613”]

Just to make sure there’s no confusion, I personally don’t work in law enforcement.
[/quote]

Ok, clear now.

But the irony of it is that the identity politics and identifying the “them” is inherently racist.

And there is no way to quantify it or qualify it. A white person living in a mostly black, hispanic, asian, etc neighborhood can experience racial hatred just as much as the inverse. That is in no way stating that white people get just as much racial hatred as anybody else, it’s just stating that depending where you stand, you may or may not experience racial hatred and it does not matter what color you happen to be.
And to say that a person of a particular color happens to have it better than everybody else, simply on the basis of their skin color and hence has no value to add to a conversation based on that fact that they are white is racist.

It is important to understand what racism actually is. Which is to single a person out for whatever reason based solely on their race.

For people have to make a mea culpa, prior to having a conversation about race, simply because they are white is sad. It’s sad to have to apologize for being born a certain way, over things you have no control over, so that you have to prove your not a racist, before you can have an honest conversation on race.

Such an act is also a bigotry of low expectations, assuming that the person whom you are conversing with would be so offended as to be angered for not being prima facie apologetic for being white.

1 Like

Yes, there are ways. I can’t, but that’s why there are people who study quantitative and qualitative research methodology. Of course, such methods are never perfect, but they can do a pretty good job of depicting reality.

Absolutely agree.

Absolutely agree. It wasn’t my intention to say or defend anything like that.

Agree.

I think we’re pretty much on the same page here. I just didn’t completely agree with your understanding of the term “white privilege”, maybe that was a little nitpicky of me.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I meant the individual experience. Yes, there are sociological methodologies that can study patterns of behavior of groups. But the individual experience of any one person in anywhere, USA cannot be qualified or quantified.