T Nation

Lets Talk About Atrophy

I may be wrong but i think that I atrophy faster than normal. I was hitting the gym hot and heavy then i up and quit. In four months I had lost most of my mass and In six it has all went away.

What is the deal with that? Why does muscle atrophy so quickly? I was never real big but why so fast.

I am wanting to get back into lifting but it is all going to go away the next time I quit I dont think that it is worth it.

Then don’t quit… or don’t start in the first place if you plan on quitting.

just quit on everything else in life too, if you don’t use it you lose it. got that firsthand myself, freakin didn’t take a real math my senior year of high school, now im dealing with calculus while trying to remember basic algebra and trig functions fuck!..but i digress

Pffft, bitch, I can loose weight faster than you, and you don’t see me quitting. I lost 6kg lbm in 4 weeks, you just eat a fuck load and rebound back.

Just remember, each time you rebound back it will be faster to get to where you left off, from then on it will be just like normal though. Damn easy-hard gainers, simple solution, just don’t quit!

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
just quit on everything else in life too, if you don’t use it you lose it. got that firsthand myself, freakin didn’t take a real math my senior year of high school, now im dealing with calculus while trying to remember basic algebra and trig functions fuck!..but i digress[/quote]

I realize it’s off topic, but I am in the same boat dude. No math junior or senior year, and four years out of high school I decide to go to college. The hardest class has been calculus, hands down. I’ve already dropped it once. I’ll have to take it this winter term because I am done with all my other core classes. I cannot put into words how much I am dreading it.

OP, why even start something if you know you will quit? You might just need a different hobby.

They say muscle gained from powerlifting type lifting (or sarcomeric hypertrophy) leaves you slower than BB (sarcoplasmic) type.

Thanks Scott

Now does anyone have any real info/science

You don’t expect a significant amount of atrophy to take place after 4-6 months? If you don’t do something to preserve it?

[quote]Cup wrote:
Thanks Scott

Now does anyone have any real info/science[/quote]

Yes. If you don’t use it… you lose it. :wink:

[quote]ktennies wrote:
That One Guy wrote:
just quit on everything else in life too, if you don’t use it you lose it. got that firsthand myself, freakin didn’t take a real math my senior year of high school, now im dealing with calculus while trying to remember basic algebra and trig functions fuck!..but i digress

I realize it’s off topic, but I am in the same boat dude. No math junior or senior year, and four years out of high school I decide to go to college. The hardest class has been calculus, hands down. I’ve already dropped it once. I’ll have to take it this winter term because I am done with all my other core classes. I cannot put into words how much I am dreading it.

OP, why even start something if you know you will quit? You might just need a different hobby.[/quote]

Calculus doesn’t seem that bad, but we’re only in the first parts of it.

Hey, you can’t complain though. You were doing nothing, and you expected your muscle not to disappear that fast. Try being in-season for a sport and trying to preserve muscle. Just start working out again.

[quote]Cup wrote:
Thanks Scott

Now does anyone have any real info/science[/quote]

Scott’s advice should be all that you need. Quite honestly I could probably tell you (as could Scott) in a scientific context why you lost the muscle you had previously gained. But, if you are considering quitting again (which you even mentioning the thought of makes me wonder), or aren’t committed to training enough to know that you aren’t going to quit again, then why should I (we) spend the time to do that for you?

If you don’t want to lose the muscle that you gained, don’t quit.

/thread

Training effect is specifc…
runners-run
swimmers-swim
lifters-lift
and on…
Stop the training-loose the effect

Why would think anything else would happen?

funny about that math thing…im having the same exact problem…ha

[quote]ktennies wrote:
That One Guy wrote:

OP, why even start something if you know you will quit? You might just need a different hobby.[/quote]

I was searching for “senior” as in old person to find training advice for my dad and this thread came up. I digress.

TAKE PRECALCULUS AGAIN. THEN do Calc. And practice a lot, give yourself 30 mins of practice problems a day. That’s how I’m getting by.

I’d love to win A trophy… oh! ATROPHY!

S

If you don’t eat enough to keep your muscle and never use it, well, why on earth should your body keep it around?

[quote]johnconkle wrote:
ktennies wrote:
That One Guy wrote:

OP, why even start something if you know you will quit? You might just need a different hobby.

I was searching for “senior” as in old person to find training advice for my dad and this thread came up. I digress.

TAKE PRECALCULUS AGAIN. THEN do Calc. And practice a lot, give yourself 30 mins of practice problems a day. That’s how I’m getting by.

[/quote]

(The below is not a joke)

Just buy the book “Calculus the Easy Way” instead of taking precalculus over again. It is a great book.

This again is not a joke: With little but the book Calculus the Easy Way, I took and did okay in Calculus III without every taking Calc I or II at all. That is how good it is.

Not that I recommend doing that – it is a stupid thing to do – but I have no particular aptitude for math and much dislike of grinding out math problems, so it suited me.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

S
[/quote]

At your up coming contest?

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

S
[/quote]

“i see what you did there, very clever.” (done in my best Stewie voice)

I may be wrong but i think that I lose money faster than normal. I was hitting my job hot and heavy then i up and quit. In four months I had lost most of my money and In six it has all went away.

What is the deal with that? Why does money go so quickly? I was never real rich but why so fast.

I am wanting to get back into working but it is all going to go away the next time I quit I dont think that it is worth it.

This should answer your question.