Let's Process Our Feelings II

I have a nice feeling to report as well as a DOOM thing.

My last patient yesterday told me that last time he saw his primary care doc, “he couldn’t say enough nice things about you.” That PCP happens to be the medical director of our multi-center organization, so not only am I very flattered (I like and respect him, too) but I’m feeling chuffed that the compliment is coming from such a professionally positive direction.

It was also helpful because the day before a patient blew up completely at me, calling me unprofessional and unhelpful and ultimately jabbing his finger at me from a foot away (guy is big, probably 6’4" and solid) and saying “fuck this and fuck YOU” before storming out. I’m trying not to take the things he said personally - autism spectrum with a history of disrupted provider relationships, and he’s been ratcheting up over other things that have nothing to do with me - but I was upset.

But that’s not the DOOM thing. After the nice compliment last night I went for a long overdue haircut. Last time I went I asked for a couple of inches off but my regular person has a tendency to fear doing more than lightly trimming. So she did that. My hair is curly, so I really can’t tell what I’ve got until it dries. So I wound up cutting it myself, twice, because she’s so far away and I work late. So last night I bit the bullet and went to a place right near work. She said “this is a mess, we need to fix it” and I said “oh, okay” and now it’s GONE. Until I wash it in a few minutes I won’t know how short it is, but. . . it’s not long anymore.

And you jerks have me all freaked out and paranoid about it! In addition to that all my lovely hair is gone and now I probably can’t do the absolutely necessary ponytail when I run.

I’ll see Hockey tonight and I’m afraid he’ll be disappointed. I’m going to grow it back as quickly as I can.

Oh! Another nice thing - tonight starts a week’s vacation. We’re loading bicycles into the car and heading off to cool places to do hopefully cool things and have sex and fun and sleeping late for 9 days in a row.

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:
I have a nice feeling to report as well as a DOOM thing.
[/quote]

My work people assure me that my haircut is adorable and that Hockey will love it.

They like my today’s skirt, too. It IS a cute skirt, I have to agree. I’d sort of forgotten about it and haven’t worn it lately. Hopefully he’ll like it too and it will make up for the DOOM of being practically bald.

[quote]Chushin wrote:

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:
My work people assure me that my haircut is adorable and that Hockey will love it.

They like my today’s skirt, too. It IS a cute skirt, I have to agree. I’d sort of forgotten about it and haven’t worn it lately. Hopefully he’ll like it too and it will make up for the DOOM of being practically bald.[/quote]

What else would they say?

Especially since they’re mostly women.

The important thing is that it will grow back.[/quote]

I know, I know.

It’s approximately like this now. But not blonde, of course. It does feel good, though, so maybe it was time for a re-grow,

I’m sure it looks wonderful. Besides, Hockey loves you for who you are on the inside, not what your hair looks like.

:slight_smile:

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:
.[/quote]

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

I have hair product to combat this! Also no bangs!

~starts crying~

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:
I’m sure it looks wonderful. Besides, Hockey loves you for who you are on the inside, not what your hair looks like.[/quote]

I can’t stop looking at this one and laughing. Her hair looks adorable! And I like her shirt. lol

P.S. I’m rocking some significant cleavage today (relative to my usual, which is none) so hopefully Hockey will be loving me for who I am on the inside for a good little while before he even looks up at my hair.

[quote]Chushin wrote:

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:

[quote]Chushin wrote:

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:

They like my today’s skirt, too. It IS a cute skirt, I have to agree. I’d sort of forgotten about it and haven’t worn it lately. Hopefully he’ll like it too and it will make up for the DOOM of being practically bald.[/quote]

What else would they say?

Especially since they’re mostly women.

The important thing is that it will grow back.[/quote]

I know, I know.

It’s approximately like this now. But not blonde, of course. It does feel good, though, so maybe it was time for a re-grow,[/quote]

Ah; that’s not so bad.

BTW, really wish you could join us on Sunday.[/quote]

Even if it were possible distance-wise, I refuse to see anyone until I stop looking exactly like the guy with the hairy adams apple.

My hair is longer than Emily’s now, not sure what to think of this.

I’m donating it all soon though so this will be short lived.

He likes it! He’s been messing with it since last night. “Really cute.”

Part of that may be relief that it’s not as short as he feared. “I thought your ears would be showing.”

I’m off on vacation. LoRez, good luck with the move!

[quote]LoRez wrote:

C# mainly, almost 10 years doing that pretty exclusively.

A month ago, they announced they’re transitioning us to Java. It’s probably going to be close to the most significant change in my career.

It’s not quite, but like telling a chemist and saying “we’re short on astronomers, so we’re going to have you do that. You know science, so it should be easy for you”.

At least they’re doing it smart… same pay, same job titles, same management, same teams, and retraining us on their dime. Just a new language and slightly different company culture – even more laissez-faire and collaborative than where I am now.

[/quote]

I don’t agree with your analogy. As a student of computer science you learn how to program not how to use a language. Any programmer who understands the concepts should be able to switch to another language without a lot of difficulty–especially between Java and C# which are fundamentally the same in syntax, objects etc. The biggest challenge is adapting to a new IDE which is a pain in the ass but not difficult. Most developers I work with regularly switch between several languages depending on which system or app they are working on that moment. or what the next thing to fall into their laps from mergers and re-orgs was written in.

[quote]debraD wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

A month ago, they announced they’re transitioning us to Java. It’s probably going to be close to the most significant change in my career.

It’s not quite, but like telling a chemist and saying “we’re short on astronomers, so we’re going to have you do that. You know science, so it should be easy for you”.

At least they’re doing it smart… same pay, same job titles, same management, same teams, and retraining us on their dime. Just a new language and slightly different company culture – even more laissez-faire and collaborative than where I am now.

[/quote]

I don’t agree with your analogy. As a student of computer science you learn how to program not how to use a language. Any programmer who understands the concepts should be able to switch to another language without a lot of difficulty–especially between Java and C# which are fundamentally the same in syntax, objects etc. The biggest challenge is adapting to a new IDE which is a pain in the ass but not difficult. Most developers I work with regularly switch between several languages depending on which system or app they are working on that moment. or what the next thing to fall into their laps from mergers and re-orgs was written in.[/quote]

Re-Orc…

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]debraD wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[/quote]

I don’t agree with your analogy. As a student of computer science you learn how to program not how to use a language. Any programmer who understands the concepts should be able to switch to another language without a lot of difficulty–especially between Java and C# which are fundamentally the same in syntax, objects etc. The biggest challenge is adapting to a new IDE which is a pain in the ass but not difficult. Most developers I work with regularly switch between several languages depending on which system or app they are working on that moment. or what the next thing to fall into their laps from mergers and re-orgs was written in.[/quote]

Re-Orc…[/quote]
LMFAO I do agree with Deb on this one.

Started an internship at the sports performance/ Olympic lifting training center that I train at. Unpaid. Working 2-5 M-F. It’s a good time so far. We’re working on putting together a non-profit program with neighboring schools to teach kids OL and stuff. Kind of like peewee football but with less concussions.

[quote]debraD wrote:

I didn’t get into details then.

The Java vs C# thing is actually minor, even the change of IDEs. It’s the switch from a monolithic server model to a highly distributed AWS based cloud model with best-try style algorithms… try for data consistency, but no guarantees. A lot of the developers switching over have felt a major loss of control because of it.

From one of the guy’s status updates:

That, combined with the new language and IDE, new development platforms (we’ve been a Windows shop), new deployment models, new source control system, and for the most part, new technical leadership… it’s a pretty significant change.

But yeah, C# to Java in and of itself isn’t much of a change. The C++ devs switching to Java have it quite a bit harder.