Let's Just Pretend, Like the French

Let’s say we have a national problem, or better yet, a national embarrassment. How do we deal with it? Let’s do like the French and pretend that it is not a problem at all. And better yet, let’s pass a law making all citizens pretend as well, with the threat of jailtime.

Lucky for Rodney King we did not have this law back in the day.

http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/03/06/franceban/index.php

[quote]senatorjaiz wrote:
Let’s say we have a national problem, or better yet, a national embarrassment. How do we deal with it? Let’s do like the French and pretend that it is not a problem at all. And better yet, let’s pass a law making all citizens pretend as well, with the threat of jailtime.

http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/03/06/franceban/index.php [/quote]

Excellent idea! This is just like the Communists do. Censorship all the way!

[quote]senatorjaiz wrote:

[/quote]

laugh This is so pathetic. This is just another way for the government to allow itself to run unchecked. I guarantee this is the intention of the law though it shall not be admitted. By doing this citizens can be kept in the dark about the encroachment upon their liberties until it is too late.

mike

Wow.

It’s indeed outrageous. Yet, I fear this is but a taste of what the liberties in France will endure if Sarkozy is elected next month.

Anyway, this reminded me of the US convoy in Afghanistan that was attacked by a suicide bomber on Sunday. The US troops responded by what was described as “panic fire”, killing many civilians in the process. The journalists present were ordered to delete any pictures and videos they shot of the scene. One of them was told by a US soldier to “delete them [the pictures] or we will delete you”.

http://www.boston.com/news/world/asia/articles/2007/03/04/afghan_media_us_troops_deleted_images/

[quote]lixy wrote:
It’s indeed outrageous. Yet, I fear this is but a taste of what the liberties in France will endure if Sarkozy is elected next month.

Anyway, this reminded me of the US convoy in Afghanistan that was attacked by a suicide bomber on Sunday. The US troops responded by what was described as “panic fire”, killing many civilians in the process. The journalists present were ordered to delete any pictures and videos they shot of the scene. One of them was told by a US soldier to “delete them [the pictures] or we will delete you”.

http://www.boston.com/news/world/asia/articles/2007/03/04/afghan_media_us_troops_deleted_images/[/quote]

Panic fire is what Arabs or other poorly trained soldiers do…like celebrating a wedding by shooting into the air. Have to be an idiot to think that’s a good idea don’t you?

Well trained troops return fire or initiate fire towards enemy combatants. You wouldn’t know that but that’s how it works.

Do you ever post anything that doesn’t have an anti-american message to it. Just curious…you’re getting kind of boring. Better yet perhaps it’s time to add you to the “why bother list” since the message never changes.

[quote]lixy wrote:

http://www.boston.com/news/world/asia/articles/2007/03/04/afghan_media_us_troops_deleted_images/[/quote]

Well, I for one am glad that you equate restriction of civil liberties with trying to denigrate our troops. “Look at those evil soldiers! How DARE they react to being attacked, by actually shooting back! They’re supposed to be singing Kumbaya while being attacked!!!”

Pathetic…

[quote]hedo wrote:
lixy wrote:

http://www.boston.com/news/world/asia/articles/2007/03/04/afghan_media_us_troops_deleted_images/

Panic fire is what Arabs or other poorly trained soldiers do…like celebrating a wedding by shooting into the air. Have to be an idiot to think that’s a good idea don’t you?

Well trained troops return fire or initiate fire towards enemy combatants. You wouldn’t know that but that’s how it works.

Do you ever post anything that doesn’t have an anti-american message to it. Just curious…you’re getting kind of boring. Better yet perhaps it’s time to add you to the “why bother list” since the message never changes.
[/quote]

Don’t you know? America is the Great Satan, the source of all evil in the world, and Allah chose Lixy to come on here and tell us all about it.

What a fucking joke…

[quote]hedo wrote:
Panic fire is what Arabs or other poorly trained soldiers do…like celebrating a wedding by shooting into the air. Have to be an idiot to think that’s a good idea don’t you?[quote]

I would call it festive shooting or something along those those lines. Even the poorly articulate Texan in the Simpsons does.

[quote]Do you ever post anything that doesn’t have an anti-american message to it. Just curious…you’re getting kind of boring. Better yet perhaps it’s time to add you to the “why bother list” since the message never changes.
[/quote]

I understand that anyone not shouting “support the troops” might be perceived that way. I believe my post was related to the topic at hand; The Associated Press is taking the issue very seriously and I just reported it. I didn’t even comment on it, and you still got out the “anti-Americanism” wildcard.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Well, I for one am glad that you equate restriction of civil liberties with trying to denigrate our troops. “Look at those evil soldiers! How DARE they react to being attacked, by actually shooting back! They’re supposed to be singing Kumbaya while being attacked!!!”
[/quote]

Illuminate me as to why you don’t think my post is related to the thread.
Here’s the message of the thread’s creator:

I merely suggested that the Pentagon might already be implementing a similar doctrine. They learned their lesson from Vietnam and so are more careful about the image Americans might have of the war. They don’t keep a body count precisely because of that.

Oh, and how’s that head-hunt going for you? Any luck?

[quote]lixy wrote:
hedo wrote:

I would call it festive shooting or something along those those lines. Even the poorly articulate Texan in the Simpsons does.

I understand that anyone not shouting “support the troops” might be perceived that way. I believe my post was related to the topic at hand; The Associated Press is taking the issue very seriously and I just reported it. I didn’t even comment on it, and you still got out the “anti-Americanism” wildcard.[/quote]

Your a middle easterner going to school in the west (big suprise) so I don’t expect you to be anything else but anti-american. It’s all you’ve ever been exposed too. But stop trying to portray yourself as something besides biased and self indulgant. Please don’t claim you are not vehemently anti-american, it’s silly based on your avalanche of postings to the contrary.

[quote]hedo wrote:
[/quote]

Why is it “anti-American” to point out what our paid troops are doing in someone else’s backyard? Can we not have concern for our country and at the same time question the actions of these “heroic” and “selfless” individuals that are there “protecting” American “interests”?

Why do you care if someones’ message has changed or not, as you (along with everyone else who consistantly posts on T-Nation) no doubt have many messages that have not changed? Do you think people just change their opinions at the “drop of a hat”?

[quote]hedo wrote:
Your a middle easterner going to school in the west (big suprise) so I don’t expect you to be anything else but anti-american. It’s all you’ve ever been exposed too. But stop trying to portray yourself as something besides biased and self indulgant. Please don’t claim you are not vehemently anti-american, it’s silly based on your avalanche of postings to the contrary.
[/quote]

hedo,

I am not middle easterner, I am Moroccan. There is nothing middle or even eastern about where I come from. My mom is French and I attended French schools. So, you can’t say I’ve been exposed to anything that would make me inherently anti-American. What I have voluntarily exposed myself to are history books, places around the world and people with different point of views from my own. I know many Americans critical of Israeli actions who have been labeled anti-Semitic because of that (Ironically, some of them are Jews). The same thing seem to be catching up every time someone criticizes decisions of Washington.

I often said it and will repeat it if necessary: America is a great country with many great things. What I find unbearable is the aggressive foreign policy and the hypocrisy of your media towards that.

If I ever offended you in one of my posts, rest assured that it wasn’t intentional. My beef is with your elected reprentatives, not with you and not with your culture. Your way of life is another issue as it’s unsustainable by Earth ecosystem. It would be more constructive to make your point without resorting to ad-hominem attacks.

Being critical of American policies isn’t anti-Americanism. It is precisely because I believe in the greatness of your political system that I even bother. I know that you can influence your government if you really wanted to. A right that not every body is lucky enough to have. It just pisses me off when half of Americans don’t even bother voting in the most powerful land the Earth has ever seen.

I wear American clothes, read mostly American books, use American hardware, ride an American bike, hang out on American sites, watch exclusively American TV and bulk up using American supplements. Saying that I’m anti-American is simply not correct. It just pisses me off that the people who can do something about the mess that is your foreign policy end up hailing and applauding it.

Have a pleasant evening,

lixy

[quote]brucevangeorge wrote:
senatorjaiz wrote:

Excellent idea! This is just like the Communists do. Censorship all the way![/quote]

fuk yeah!

[quote]lixy wrote:
hedo wrote:

hedo,

I am not middle easterner, I am Moroccan. There is nothing middle or even eastern about where I come from. My mom is French and I attended French schools. So, you can’t say I’ve been exposed to anything that would make me inherently anti-American. What I have voluntarily exposed myself to are history books, places around the world and people with different point of views from my own. I know many Americans critical of Israeli actions who have been labeled anti-Semitic because of that (Ironically, some of them are Jews). The same thing seem to be catching up every time someone criticizes decisions of Washington.

I often said it and will repeat it if necessary: America is a great country with many great things. What I find unbearable is the aggressive foreign policy and the hypocrisy of your media towards that.

If I ever offended you in one of my posts, rest assured that it wasn’t intentional. My beef is with your elected reprentatives, not with you and not with your culture. Your way of life is another issue as it’s unsustainable by Earth ecosystem. It would be more constructive to make your point without resorting to ad-hominem attacks.

Being critical of American policies isn’t anti-Americanism. It is precisely because I believe in the greatness of your political system that I even bother. I know that you can influence your government if you really wanted to. A right that not every body is lucky enough to have. It just pisses me off when half of Americans don’t even bother voting in the most powerful land the Earth has ever seen.

I wear American clothes, read mostly American books, use American hardware, ride an American bike, hang out on American sites, watch exclusively American TV and bulk up using American supplements. Saying that I’m anti-American is simply not correct. It just pisses me off that the people who can do something about the mess that is your foreign policy end up hailing and applauding it.

Have a pleasant evening,

lixy

[/quote]

Great post. Seriously, anybody who skipped reading this, do it now.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
hedo wrote:

Why is it “anti-American” to point out what our paid troops are doing in someone else’s backyard? Can we not have concern for our country and at the same time question the actions of these “heroic” and “selfless” individuals that are there “protecting” American “interests”?

Why do you care if someones’ message has changed or not, as you (along with everyone else who consistantly posts on T-Nation) no doubt have many messages that have not changed? Do you think people just change their opinions at the “drop of a hat”?[/quote]

Are you from Sweden?

Why point out the obvious you ask? Becasue when someone claims to be objective it’s fun and entertaining to point out their bias…like yours against the military.

[quote]lixy wrote:

Journalists shouldn’t be allowed in combat zones to begin with in my opinion. War is a dirty business and the dirt required to win a war shouldn’t be seen by many. Journalists in a combat zone can affect the outcome of various battles based on what they print. Comabt journalism has to be regulated. I think no journalists should be allowed period.

If a journalist was carte blache when covering war, they should enter the war zone on their own and not under the protection of an army. Otherwise they are subject to that army’s rules.

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
lixy wrote:
hedo,

Have a pleasant evening,

lixy

Great post. Seriously, anybody who skipped reading this, do it now.[/quote]

Yes, it was definately worth a laugh, how’s Grendel?

[quote]lixy wrote:
hedo wrote:

hedo,

Have a pleasant evening,

lixy

[/quote]

Ok so maybe I won’t put you on the “why bother” list because that was a well thought out post and I enjoyed reading it…damm it!

Although being of French descent most likely would expose you to more anti-americanism then less, in my opinion.

I think a lot of the criticism of American policy is biased and one sided and fails to take into account the risk of inaction. I’ve seen a lot of it on these boards, particularly from the euro’s…hence my position to the contrary.

You enjoy the evening also.

[quote]lixy wrote:

I am not middle easterner, I am Moroccan. There is nothing middle or even eastern about where I come from. My mom is French and I attended French schools. So, you can’t say I’ve been exposed to anything that would make me inherently anti-American.
[/quote]

ROFLMAO!!!