T Nation

Let's Give this a Shot

I feel like a log on T-Nation will give me a little extra motivation in the gym. So why not? I don’t have much time so I’m going to keep it brief. I’ll post up some training history/stats tomorrow.

5/16/2012 5/3/1 and it’s the one day.

Warmup- Foam roll back, squat 2 stands, hip flexor stretch

5x180,5x225,3x265

5x335
3x380
and for the all out set I managed 6x425. Pr for that weight. Left a rep or two in the tank.

Good mornings- I usually do higher rep sets but today i did 3 sets of 5. I’m going to try to add 5 lbs a week to these until I stall. I started very light and did 3x5x160. Very strict and went down as far as possible.

DB rows- today is the last time I’m going to do these after pulling. My grip was shot and I wasn’t able to match what I did with my right hand with my left hand in one set. I did 105x15 with my right and with my left I had to take a break to adjust my grip a couple times. I’ve never had this problem before.

Leg curls- 3x12x Who cares it’s a leg curl?

Ab wheel- 3 sets of 12 with BW.

Ok now that I have time and I’m sitting on my toilet I can get into a little more detail.

Height- 5’9"
Weight-195-200lbs
Best lifts- 465 squat, 270 bench and a 500lbs deadlift.

Program history- Stronglifts 5x5-5/3/1
Training history- A little less than 2 years of serious training.

Basically I started out as the curl/bench guy. This is when I didn’t take training seriously and only trained the beach muscles. This eventually lead to some shoulder injuries which I am happily starting to make some progress with. I’ve always had some pretty big, semi-strong legs, possibly from the amount of hockey I used to play. The squat and deadlift came naturally to me. Not that they’re impressive numbers, but the gains in these lifts have always been great. Once I get a phone upgrade (going for an I-phone) I’ll post some videos up that you guys can hopefully critique.

Also I’m not going to get into specific numbers yet for any sort of pressing days. Lately the numbers have been lower than I’m capable of, my current max is probably in the 240-250 range. But with my shoulder problems getting much better I’ve been hitting some decent numbers and will hopefully reach a 300 lbs bench by the end of the summer. I’m going to try a garvilo cycle for bench after the current 5/3/1 cycle. Afterwrads i’m considering doing some ed coan style training for my pressing exercises since they seem to be working out nicely for other members. I’m usually not one too mix and match, but I feel like some experimentation is key to see what really works for you. Lower body lifts I’ve always made some great progress with 5/3/1, so I’ll be keeping it.

Rangers better crush the Devils this series!

You can take the internet with you when you go to the bathroom? I’m super jealous, for real.

Haha probably isn’t the cleanest thing ever…but whatever. Wi-fi ftw.

05/17/2012

5/3/1- one day (Bench)

Didn’t have a spotter, and the only people at the gym were on the ellipticals, so I didn’t go all out on the last set. I just did 3 sets of 2 on my last set, which worked out nicely. The last sets were somewhere between 220-715 ;). Also I’m finally getting the feel for leg drive and am shortening my rom pretty nicely. Unfortunately with my new setup I kept on hitting uprights on the way out. I really wish my gym had a competition bench. The power racks have the same really deep hook, so they’re just as hard.

Hammer machine press- 3 sets of 10

Hammer iso high row- Easily my favorite non-free weight exercise. The motion of it really lets you squeeze your shoulder blades back especially with a thumbless grip. Hits the upper-back real hard. 3 sets of 12

Then I super setted skull crushers with barbell curlz (for the girlz). 3 sets of 12 each.

Shoulders felt great. I have my final squat day then it’s deload time. Pretty happy with how this cycle went.

Also finished all my classes and finals today. Spending the next 4-6 hours fishing with a friend. Wish me luck.

5/3/1- One day (squat)

Didn’t go all out on the last set since I wanted to do a heavy single.

worked up to 395x3 and then did 440x1.

Very easy. My setup today sucked though. The bar definitely wasn’t low enough on my back and my weight was shifted forward too much.

Then I spilt my gallon of water all over my bag/cell phone/wallet/keys/etc. So I did some “intense”, anger ridden leg curls and called it a day.

After my deload today I did some conidtioning. 40 yard prowler push with a plate on each peg followed by 40 yard backwards sled drag with two plates. Did this for 8 sets.

Started the add 50 bench program today. Started light because A. I don’t actually expect to add 50 pounds to my bench in 7 weeks (as nice as that’d be) and B. There are tests throughout the program to adjust the max if necessary. Today was pretty easy. It should be this easy for probably the next two weeks. My goal is to get to where I was before my shoulder got fucked up 10lbs or so. 275 seems reasonable.

http://joeskopec.com/programs.html If anybody’s interested it’s on there.

Followed it up with 5 sets of 10 rolling DB extensions. These are harder than I thought they’d be. I started with 40’s but eventually had to go down to 30’s.

Db rows- Worked up to 100x15

face pulls- 3x15x?

and 3 sets of curlz

Add 50 is a great program, just keep your shoulders healthy and stretch. Good luck man.

Thanks a lot man. They’ve been feeling good lately. Joe Defranco’s upper body warm-up has been a lifesaver.

Also started carb-backloading today. I like the concept and hope it works out well for me. I’m not going to be super-strict with it since I’m definitely not trying to lose weight. Before 6pm today my meals consisted of eggs, cheese,fish and nuts. Only thing I had that had a decent amount of carbs was a protein shake after training. I still got 30g (or less) for the low-carb portion of the day. After 6 I had peanut butter, cookies, pasta with broccoli,milk,etc.

[quote]gorangers0525 wrote:
Ok now that I have time and I’m sitting on my toilet I can get into a little more detail.

Height- 5’9"
Weight-195-200lbs

Basically I started out as the curl/bench guy. This is when I didn’t take training seriously and only trained the beach muscles. This eventually lead to some shoulder injuries which I am happily starting to make some progress with. I’ve always had some pretty big, semi-strong legs, possibly from the amount of hockey I used to play. The squat and deadlift came naturally to me. Not that they’re impressive numbers, but the gains in these lifts have always been great. Once I get a phone upgrade (going for an I-phone) I’ll post some videos up that you guys can hopefully critique.

Also I’m not going to get into specific numbers yet for any sort of pressing days. Lately the numbers have been lower than I’m capable of, my current max is probably in the 240-250 range. But with my shoulder problems getting much better I’ve been hitting some decent numbers and will hopefully reach a 300 lbs bench by the end of the summer. I’m going to try a garvilo cycle for bench after the current 5/3/1 cycle. Afterwrads i’m considering doing some ed coan style training for my pressing exercises since they seem to be working out nicely for other members. I’m usually not one too mix and match, but I feel like some experimentation is key to see what really works for you. Lower body lifts I’ve always made some great progress with 5/3/1, so I’ll be keeping it.

Rangers better crush the Devils this series![/quote]

No joke, the every summary of my workouts has been posted while I’m on the throne.

CS

in

[quote]CSEagles1694 wrote:

[quote]gorangers0525 wrote:

Height- 5’9"
Weight-195-200lbs

Rangers better crush the Devils this series![/quote]

No joke, the every summary of my workouts has been posted while I’m on the throne.

CS[/quote]

Yea, it’s where I get most of my shit done.

Spock,AoW, CS and Spar? Now it’s a party.

Pfft, it was a party with just me! I bring da board games, yo.

I’ll bring the hookers and blow.

wut

Pulling tomorrow. Going to take 385 for a ride on the “5” day. Last cycle I had 380 and got 8 reps on a really shitty day. My goal for 385 is 10 as long as my form stays decent. I’ll probably film some pulls on the “1” day this cycle and that will be repping out 430.

Afterwards I’ll be playing with the prowler or sled for a little. I’m considering putting a shit ton of weight on the sled and pulling it “strongman style”. Seems fun and I’m trying to get into more variations than just sprinting 40 yards.

My triceps are sore as fuck. Definitely keeping in the rollings db extensions.

Everything today went nicely.

Deadlift 5/3/1 (5 day)

Deadlift- Worked up to 385x10. This is a nice pr for me. I had a lot of energy today. It’s only been two days but this whole carb backloading things feeling pretty good. I’ve even been able to stay up for my summer class ( I need some extra credits).

GM- 3x5x165

Lat pulldown- Started at 180 and worked my way down for 5 sets of 10 reps.

DB side bends. 4x10x100

Skipped the conditioning because me and a friend are gonna play some hockey. Maybe I’ll do some line suicides like team USA had to do.

NAH!

First week of add 50 finished. Very easy.

Afterwards I did 3x5x100 skullcrushers. Also very easy, but I’ve always done these in the higher rep range so I didn’t knopw what I’d be able to do.

Shoulder Shocker Circuit (Joe DeFranco’s)

Reverse pec dec 5x15x?

And now I’m about to do some RC stuff at home.

Don’t have much time.

I felt like shit today.

Squats- Worked up to 355x7. Not good. I usually get more extra reps on the 5 day.

Leg press- 3x10x6pps

leg curls-3x10x?

ab wheel- 3 sets of 12

Finished the 2nd monday on the add 50 bench program. Pretty easy, but definitely more challenging then last week. I need to work on recovery a bit more.

Music choice- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plZakmEzH1E

Yes that is a girl vocalist. Click the interview link on the right and she’s actually kinda cute haha.

Rolling db extensions- 5x11x30. I heard a weird pop during my second set. Didn’t seem to be anything major and it felt fine. My triceps were extremely pumped after this. I think my lack of direct triceps training in the past is part of the reason my bench lacks compared to my other lifts.

DB rows- 10x65, 10x85, 15x100. Not a pr, but felt pretty good. My left hands grip strength is lacking compared to my right.

Face pulls- 3x15x?

BB Curls- 3x10x70 or 80. I forgot. All of my curls are done pretty strict and with a full stretch. I feel like doing them like this is the best way to strengthen the tendons and helps avoid a biceps tear during a deadlift. Or atleast I hope so lol.

Not a bad day at all.

Almost forgot. I’m getting a sports massage tomorrow…should feel amazing afterwards. Also I’m happy the Devils are getting raped because I’m a sore-loser Rangers fan.

That massage was an interesting experience to say the least. I feel great. Now to ruin all the work she put in by deadlifting tomorrow!