Let's Get to a 400lb Bench

[quote]Raw Meat wrote:
Little progress update:
Benched today, hit 365x1 (+5 lb pr), and then 375x1 (+15 lb pr). Its getting close! [/quote]

Had to go and beat me by 3min… real sweet man :stuck_out_tongue: Congrats on the PB!

[quote]clutz15 wrote:

[quote]Raw Meat wrote:
Little progress update:
Benched today, hit 365x1 (+5 lb pr), and then 375x1 (+15 lb pr). Its getting close! [/quote]

Had to go and beat me by 3min… real sweet man :stuck_out_tongue: Congrats on the PB![/quote]

Haha damn tied, nice lifting! 25 lbs more. You are a whole 40 lbs less than me though haha

32, 230lbs

I’m confident that this can happen for me by the end of the year. Last night, I did 345 then 2x315. Really working on perfecting my form and staying injury free.

I’m in. On my 5th Cycle of 531. 265 x 11 is my PR at the moment. Estimated 1RM based on those stats should be roughly 350.

I am trying to get to my goal by December of this year.

I’m new to lifting heavy and the power scene. Still working on my form but my bench has come around quickly.

If it is not to late I would like jump in. Currently sitting at a 350 max (about 3 weeks ago) Really trying to focus on my form also. Today- 315x5 (although glutes came a little of bench on the last few reps) BW-214 this morning.

Did my meet on Saturday, I hit an easy 315 but held my breath too long on 325 and couldn’t lock it out. Need to practice staying tight without passing out.

Been lurking the forums for a while but this is my first post. I’m in for the race. Hit a touch and go single at 385 today.

Late to the party, but might as well check in with where I stand.

Hit 325 in January in competition. So far I’ve done 345 paused in the gym and I’m hoping to hit ~355 in competition this Saturday at 198. 400 is probably out of the question for my size, but it isn’t as I move up in weight. I want to break the WR in the WDFPF for Junior 198 before I really work to gain a lot of size.

[quote]brickonwheels wrote:
Late to the party, but might as well check in with where I stand.

Hit 325 in January in competition. So far I’ve done 345 paused in the gym and I’m hoping to hit ~355 in competition this Saturday at 198. 400 is probably out of the question for my size, but it isn’t as I move up in weight. I want to break the WR in the WDFPF for Junior 198 before I really work to gain a lot of size.[/quote]

I’m a junior at 175lbs and I’m still shooting for 400, nothing is out of the question if you work at it!

Clutz, what are you putting up now?

I’m in for this…My best competition bench is 335 and I’ve hit 355 touch n go in the gym…Estimated max from reps is around 385, but I’m not nearly there yet…

I think 405 by the end of the year is doable if I stay injury free.

[quote]brickonwheels wrote:
Clutz, what are you putting up now?[/quote]

I got a touch and go 375 last week.

Any tips on increasing my strength a the bottom of my bench. Seems to be where I am sticking mostly.

Any tips on increasing my strength a the bottom of my bench. Seems to be where I am sticking mostly.

[quote]Travis56 wrote:
Any tips on increasing my strength a the bottom of my bench. Seems to be where I am sticking mostly. [/quote]

Make sure you hammer your back really hard with lots of rows. Also try some dead stop stuff such as pin press set right at your chest and regular paused bench both BB and DB. I’m not sure if you do any speed work, but improving your speed of your chest will help break through those sticking points.

Just got over bronchitis, pretty sure my bench is down below 300lbs again, tho shouldn’t take to long to bounce back. I am still in this race.

[quote]clutz15 wrote:

[quote]Travis56 wrote:
Any tips on increasing my strength a the bottom of my bench. Seems to be where I am sticking mostly. [/quote]

Make sure you hammer your back really hard with lots of rows. Also try some dead stop stuff such as pin press set right at your chest and regular paused bench both BB and DB. I’m not sure if you do any speed work, but improving your speed of your chest will help break through those sticking points.[/quote]

Thanks Clutz15 I will start today

Hit 290x10 last night on my 5-3-1 week for a calculated max of like 387…but if the past is any indication, it is far below the calculated number.

For some reason the calcuations hold pretty true for my OHP, DL, and Squat, but not for my Bench.

Going to move the training max up 10 pounds this next cycle instead of the recommended 5–10 reps in the Week 3 is a sign to me that my training max was too low (had reset it 10% for a conditioning phase but bench strength does not seem to be impacted).

I just found this thread right after posting that I have recently hit a 405 paused for 2 singles. I have been using 5-3-1 for three years on and off mixing in some west side from time to time. I weigh 218 and it has been a long time coming. I can remember back in high school thinking it would be awesome to bench 405 and now I am eying 500 sometime in the future.

Hows everyones progress coming along? I’ve really focused on hitting my triceps hard the last 3 weeks with Floor Press, 2bd, and CG 3bd. Next week I’m gonna work up to a max 3 with my regular bench grip then add a homemade slingshot for overload. That should give me a really good estimate of where I’m at.