T Nation

Let's Get Serious

Alright, so I'm a 6'2 180lb male.

My lifts are fairly weak at this point..
Max pull-ups: 26
Bench Max: 210
Squat Max: 315
Deadlift: 315x5 (never did 1rm)

Now, my build is sub par.. I'll post pics tomorrow night as it's fairly late at the moment..

I am an inconsistent lifter looking to become a bad ass fucking warrior and I would like some help on getting there..

I've been around training most of my life but have been too much of a bitch to fully commit to it.

Varsity wrestling for 4 years (weighed 145lb's about 1.6 years ago). After wrestling I bulked up to what I am now, but have been struggling to breach 190lbs. Obviously due to my inconsistent diet and workout regime. I'm still lean, with abs clearly visible, as well as cuts in the back etc..

Now I want to bulk as much as I can in the next 6 months, then I want to cut for a few months, then bulk again..

But I don't want to just jump into it. I want to have a plan.. Some of the main muscles I want to hit are my upper traps, lower back, triceps, quads and gluts.. I also want more muscular pecs but would prefer playing it safe on that one... Also hitting my lats would be nice as well.. Basically every muscle on my body.

Now should I use a pre-made template such as WS4SB? Or Starting Strength? I feel since I have already been lifting (kind of) Those aren't really right for me.

Again I'll throw up pics tomorrow...

Well I think you should at least try the Starting Strength template and one of two things will happen:

1. You will not be able to progress in weights - meaning you are ready to move on from Starting Strength.

or

1. You will be able to make linear gains for a bit more on Starting Strength, and then finally you will reach number 1.

Once you can no longer make gains on starting strength, I would say WS4SB3 is a great choice, or you can try some form of the Texas Method. It all depends on your goals. You could even try a bodybuilder split. But basically you would be better off learning that you are ready to move on from Starting Strength than jumping into something that you are not ready for but not know you are not ready for (if that makes sense).

I feel that I am in the same boat as you right now. I did Starting Strength, and had my final plateau a few months ago which signaled it was time to move on to an Intermediate program. But, basically right after that happened I sustained an injury that kept me from lifting with the intesity I wanted to, and as such I am now, after a month layoff, returning to Starting Strength. Surprisingly, I am making great gains again from it.

So definately at least try Starting Strength again just to see if you can squeeze those last few beginner gains out of it. Once you absolutely can't, move on to a more complex program.

You know what you need to do.

"I am an inconsistent lifter looking to become a bad ass fucking warrior."

"I have been around lifting most of my life but have been too much of a bitch to fully commit to it."

"I don't want to just jump into it."

"I need to have a plan."

You know what you need to do.

Do it.

Please, no pics. Do it. Then pics.

WS4SB is NOT a beginner-only program; you can stay on it as long as you want (just rotate lifts as your body gets used to them). Be consistent in the gym and in the kitchen !

Yeah, the reason I post is, I don't really want to do starting strength again. As I feel I will be bored with the program.

Jesus. Ok, listen. You need a solid foundation before you really start to be "built like a fucking warrior" capiche. Starting Strength is just that. It's in the fucking title. You START with it. It's not "Strength for Life."

It's a beginners program that you BEGIN WITH. Do it. Then after about a month or two (I'm not sure exactly how long it is) move onto a different program as you'll have established a solid base to BUILD ON.

quoted cuz you need to read it again.

I do have a question on top of Starting Strength.

Am I able to add more lifts to the workout? Such as curls, pullups, Core work ect..?

Absolutely. You should be focusing on your heavy compounds, but there's no reason you can't add in work for those parts that don't receive attention with SS.

Alright, how many other muscle groups should I target into one workout?

Like on workout A

Squat-3x5
Bench Press-3x5
Deadlift-1x5
2x8 Dips

Should I also include, curls and pullups here? With ab rollouts and planches?
So I can hit my lats and biceps / core

And on
Workout B
Squat-3x5
Standing Military Press-3x5
Power Cleans(or Bent Over Barbell Rows)-3x5
*2x8 Chinups

Can I include tricep extensions, overhead dumbbell press, and Flys? or how should I go about that.. I also want to work my glutes so should I incorporate lunges somewhere?

I would only add work for the muscles that don't get direct work from the program. Abs, bis, tris, calves, forearms.

If SS isn't going to be enough volume for you, then don't bother with it. Go ahead and start a split if you want. And you're right about not 'jumping into it'. I've seen more people fail that way than not. Gradually improve your work capacity. Start with a moderate or light volume (~6-9 sets per body part) and when you're ready, add a couple of sets.

The one part of your original post I want to point out is:

"Now I want to bulk as much as I can in the next 6 months, then I want to cut for a few months, then bulk again.."

This will get you nowhere. "Bulking" is a long-term endeavor. If you don't build some substantial mass and keep it for a while, you'll probably lose a great deal of it when you cut. Try to gain at a reasonable pace for a few years, making minor adjustments along the way.