T Nation

Let's Get Real

I don’t follow party lines, I never have. I’m pro-choice but I also believe in the death penalty. I believe that government should stay out of my private life but crack down on industries that are spoiling our lands and killing innocents. (These are just my feelings and they aren’t up for debate.)
Frankly if you tell me you believe whole heartedly EVERYTHING your party represents then I think you are either a complete moron or a just another lamb in the flock easily led to the slaughter. That is another thread…but I digress.

IMHO the whole lot of “candidates” on both sides are a pack of self serving retards, liars and backstabbers. And if you think that goes to far, check out how much they make while they serve and after the leave a congressional office. Try to figure out how it is that an economy that is laying folks off left and right can support paying huge salaries to congressmen for both parties, most of who are by now independently wealthy. Then ask yourself why you beleive one word any of them have to say.

Clark was probably the only one I could have agreed to vote for since he was a soldier and citizen first and a politician second. But he is out now, nice going Virginia…you’ve done so well in the past picking state leaders that run the budget into the ground.

And not to get in the middle of the little Kerry spats seen on here lately but I’ve got quite a bit of family and friends who have served active combat time from Vietnam through the 1st Gulf War. Dad was Army Infantry in Vietnam, Uncle was a 1st Cav door gunner, my father-in-law was an Air Force Phantom pilot and two close fraternity brothers were Special Forces behind the lines in Desert Storm,1991.
They are all of the same opinion that Bush and Kerry need to shut the frag up when it comes to their military records and its signifigance to their being a good candidates for President.
Right now, every combat veteran I know is annoyed by the way Kerry has been using it in his campaign. Don’t say your not using it as a podium to stand on (which he tried to do on NPR)when every ad you’re running starts out with a black and white picture of you in a flak jacket. His past and present sentiments towards the military, veterans and his service are way to murky to prove what he really feels either way.
Frankly what he did in a firefight almost 40 years ago tells me nothing of the man he is today. The last 19 years Kerry has been doing what EVERY Washington politician (Dem and Rep)has done…whatever he had to to stay in office. Give me someone, Dem or Rep that hasn’t been tainted by the Washington two-step and I’ll vote for him.
The whole lot of them needs to stop telling me about what they did back when I was in diapers and tell me what they’re going to do today and tomorrow to ensure that my son has a bright future to look forward to in his own country. Tell me how you are going to mend our international ties and guarantee that our service men and women aren’t dying needlessly. Then I might vote for you.

See if any of you can keep any of the promises that you make and we might have a start at something decent for a change.

Just my humble patriotic opinion.

Well said.

Now I’m not a fan of either Kerry or Clark, but you’re telling me that Kerry shouldn’t use his military record because it was 30 years ago, but Clark can because he’s a general? I hate to break this to you, but once you leave the rank of Captain (O-3) you no longer become a “soldier”, you become a politician. And Generals are the worst of the bunch in that regard. There are very few exceptions to that rule: e.g. pilots and Chesty Pullers of the world.

Let me tell you what generals do. Generals are the guys that sold out the Marine Corps and ordered us to salute the Japanese national anthem when the Japanese soldiers themselves don’t even stop for their anthem, much less ours. Watch the Pentagon Wars. A reality-based comedy with Kelsey Grammer about the making of the M2 Bradley, then get back to me and tell me what great men generals are.

mikeyali

No argument with you there. Just tired of having to choose and vote (yes one of the X generation who actually does this every time) for the lesser of two evils every election: i.e. who will screw the U.S.A. up the least amount.

And frankly out of all the Dems I personally felt he was the lesser of all the evils up for grabs.

Again, just my opinion. I’m not trying to convince anyone what they should vote…last I heard a candidate’s most recent actions and political track record were supposed to do that.

So all these posts are kind of silly, even mine.

Clark was a solider way before he was a general…ask the 4 bullet wounds he has from vietnam if he wasnt…big martin

heavysprout,

You wrote, “See if any of you can keep any of the promises that you make and we might have a start at something decent for a change.”

Please check George W. Bush’s promises in 2000. Then make a list of the number of them he has kept. I think you will find he is a man of his word. Even the morons will agree that he does what he says. Prescription drug benefits, “No new taxes,” and beefing up our military were some of his larger 2000 campaign promises. Along the way, came 9/11/01, and he said that he has made the war on terror his number one priority. Again, even the idiots, would agree that he has done that. The democrats (morons) can quibble about methods, but I don’t think they can argue that he is a man of honesty and steadfast purpose.

By the way, you seem very angry about our political system. I submit that George, if nothing else, is honest. After watergate, and billyboy, I think honesty in our top public officials should be embraced.
My fellow posters are educating me about johnkerry. I don’t like what I see. He seems to embody many of the worst characteristics of politicians. I say, “No more billyboys.”

hillary/chuckschumer in 2004!!!

“Please check George W. Bush’s promises in 2000. Then make a list of the number of them he has kept. I think you will find he is a man of his word.”

Funniest post ever!!! That was a JOKE.

What about these broken promises?

“No nation building”?
“I will be a uniter and not a divider”
“Most of the tax cut will go to the middle class”
The first tax cut will create millions of new jobs
I will bring honor back to the presidency.
I am a “compassionate conservative”

How about the fact that spending under Bush (discretionary spending) is higher than any Democratic president… ever?

Unless you are a millionaire, I don’t see how anybody could vote for Bush. Bush’s whole presidency revolves around catering to the needs of the wealthiest 1% of Americans.

If Bush is doing such a good job fighting terrorism, why did he let Bin Laden escape from Tora Bora?

They had Bin Laden trapped but Bush would not commit ground forces, and Bin Laden escaped.

Bush can probably make more political hay with Bin Laden running around free, than he can with Bin Laden in custody.

What about the retarded advisor to Bush, who said (last week) that companies sending American jobs overseas was GOOD because corporations save money that way ???

I’m sure none of the candidates are perfect, any more than I am perfect or you are perfect. But who can possibly take Bush seriously any more?

I stand corrected. A moron apparently is trying to manipulate the facts to suit his theory.

hillary/terrymcaullife/hueyplong/billyboy in 2004!!!

Lumpy, please do not get into economics, you will get crushed. You are twisting what Mankiw said.

For your enlightenment:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4263244/

Good answer there, (???) Yankee Doodle Dandy.

What’s the difference between the Republicans and a drunken sailor?

At least a drunken sailor is spending his own money.

Yankee Doodle Dandy was directed at US=GG, not you Anderson.

The Mankiw statement is a public relations nightmare for the president, and just another embarassing moment in a week full of embarassments.

Oh, I’m sure that someone can “explain” how losing US jobs overseas is actually good for our economy. Economics is not an exact science, and you can find an expert who can defend any postion or opinion, with statistics to back it up.

Maybe all the unemployed people in the US can get trained on something hi-tech, I hear computers are going to be big.

Boy, once those prices on everything start dropping, we’re all going to be raking it in.

What exactly are you saying? I lost the translation in the cynicism.

I am canadian so can one of you americans explain this to me. Alot of the democratic canidates have said stuff about making the upper class pay more taxes to cover “there fair share”. Yet the top 5% already pays 34% of the taxes in your country and the top 10% pays well over 50%. How much do these canidates want these people to pay??

IMHO, both parties have catered to big business for so long that we have created a corporate wellfare system in the U.S. I am not worried about the rich paying their “fair share”, but I would like to see major corporations (including corps. that get lucrative government contracts) prevented from escaping paying taxes by moving their headquarters overseas. Also, not to bash any religions, but how can a major church hold large amounts of stock and never have to pay taxes on the proceeds?

IMHO, both parties have catered to big business for so long that we have created a corporate wellfare system in the U.S. I am not worried about the rich paying their “fair share”, but I would like to see major corporations (including corps. that get lucrative government contracts) prevented from escaping paying taxes by moving their headquarters overseas. Also, not to bash any religions, but how can a major church hold large amounts of stock and never have to pay taxes on the proceeds?

blam,

They are demagougues who are trying to fan class warfare. What these demagougues forget is that right now 70% of all heads of households are also invested in the stock market.

When the blow hard Richard Gephardt did the “rich need to pay their fair share” rant his campaign blew up in his face. What these nit wits fail to see is that most Americans now see themselves as someday achieving some sort of wealth (even if it’s just enough to retire on). That’s one reason class warfare will not work. And also one reason that Sen. Kerry will be defeated in Novemeber!

"I am canadian so can one of you americans explain this to me. Alot of the democratic canidates have said stuff about making the upper class pay more taxes to cover “there fair share”. Yet the top 5% already pays 34% of the taxes in your country and the top 10% pays well over 50%. How much do these canidates want these people to pay?? "

DING DING DING. We have a winner. See, even Canucks are smarter than Democrats.

The reason a church can hold stock and not have to pay taxes on it is because it is a nonprofit organization in the same way that any charity is, and tons of tentacles of both the DNC and RNC. They get cheap postage and dont have to pay much in the way of taxes. I don’t think there is any big problem with that. Most NGO’s wouldnt be able to survive without that status.

Alan Greenspan is no mere “advisor,” and he’s survived more than a couple administrations. While I may not agree with his conclusions on outsourcing, his economic acumen shouldn’t be under debate.

Both major parties have been bought by big business eons ago. They have the interest of the wealthy at hand not the common folk.

Vote your conscious even if it means third party. Chances are your man won’t win but at least you won’t be supporting the crooks that call themselves republicans and democrats.

Here is a great quote from philosopher John Dewey -
Government is the shadow cast by big business over society.

biltritewave, a Canadian writes in, inquisitive about our national debate and you call him “a Canook”?! Come on, man.

ZEB, 70% of people are invested in the stock market, but the corporations are sitting on the dividend money (in banks) so it doesn’t go into the economy or even in investment. Also, for many of those people that’s a very small part of their income, compared to those in the highest tax backet.