Let us talk about our love of beer

Rumbach:

Hey, if you ever want to go on a “taste test” night of beer - let me know. Ko and I love to do that…
Our usual “watering hole” is Chez Grill up on Hawthorne…it’s w/in walking distance of where we live. We walk up and stumble back…if ya get my meaning…:slight_smile:
But any ol’ place carries good beer - which means, just 'bout any place in Portland - we’ve been there…also, Lucky Labrador (ever been there?).

How did I know Patricia’s would be the first response? :slight_smile:

My thoughts:

King of Porters: Black Butte
King of Ambers: AK Amber
King of (Light) Hefeweizens: Tie between Widmer & Pyramid
King of (Dark) Hefeweizens: Fransiskaner Dunkelhefeweizen (aus Deutschland)
King of Pilsners: Not really my forte, but Urquell is an obvious candidate.
King of Stouts: Pick any Quality Oatmeal

the best brewery is bell’s out of k-zoo michigan. they make the world’s greatest stouts - zillions of varieties, along with my favorite summertime beer, oberon.
being originally from the chi-tilla, i have to admit nothing goes together like old style and a cubs’ loss.
oh, yeah, and, yes, i like shiner bock.
NW beer - i say rogue. yellow snow. mmm.

East Coast - Ommegang.

Canada - Unibroue.

Gotta be Guinness, but only from the keg. The canned and bottled ‘draught’ doesn’t cut it.

I’ve also taken a liking to Ithaca Stout…although I can’t get it here in NC. I need to move back to NY! :stuck_out_tongue:

In my fridge, it’s either Labatt’s Blue or Honey Brown (the hometown brew)!

-Alex

I think i am gonna have to definately keep it relatively domestic here and say kokanee…but kokanee gold tastes like shit

I’m a big fan of McAuslan’s stuff, especially their Cream Ale and Griffon Blonde. Local breweries are generally good, but you’ve gotta find one that’s consistant. As for larger market stuff, I like Beck’s, Guiness and Kilkenny.

WooHoo! I made it in! Anyway, mmmm…beeeeerrr…

I like pretty much everything but the domestic, generic crap. Fav’s include Guiness, Spanish Peaks/ Black Dog/ Great Divide all make pretty good Raspberry Honey brews, Belguim Blue Moon & Easy Street both make good Heifewezen, Caffery’s, Dos Equis, Breckenridge Brewery’s Avalanche, Fat Tire, Full Sail IPA, oooh the list can go on and on.

I have to agree with BodyIQ that the little pleasures of life are what make life worthwhile - and beer is one such pleasure.

If you guys can get your hands on anything brewed by Odell’s Brewing or New Belgium Brewing (both out of Fort Collins, CO) give it a try. Especialy Odell’s Easy Street!

Woops, that should have been Dead Guy ale in my previous post, not Dead Man’s.

There’s a bar I go to here in the ATL called Summit’s Wayside Tavern. You can order beers off of a beer list they have - if you try 100 different kinds you get your own mug with your name on it and a free dinner. Great way to try new beers. And what does a friend of mine drink when we go there? Bud Light. Made me wanna cry.

Hi, first time poster on this board, been lurking for a couple months now, listening and learning. This is a topic near and dear to my heart, though. My favorite “regular” beer is Red Hook IPA, aka Ballard Bitter. Most any IPA, really, but I’ve found Red Hook to be consistent and its easier to find.

I’ll also second the vote for O’Dell’s, but I prefer the 90 Schilling. And almost every thing from New Belgium. In fact the Biere de Mars should be out any time now, if its not already. Maybe one of the best beers ever. I don’t drink to get drunk anymore, and if you can only have a few beers a week its worth spending a little more for good stuff.

Mmmmmmmm, beer.

Nick Kelly…

Costco is now carrying Fat Tire! What a smooth and drinkable beer. I can chug about 3 of them while tooling around in the garage. mmmm…

I posted earlier, but my posts seem to disappear into the ether…grr

I’m amazed to that Patricia was the first one to reply…(not really!) :0)

Oh, for the beer, althought I don’t like beer that much, we got some pretty good beers in Quebec. Fav’s include Sleeman honeybrown and Boreale rousse.

-LPdSB

Haha, I’ve only heard of about 40% of these beers - I have a lot of drinking to do!

Patricia - that sounds like fun - I also live down in the SE, and hit the Lucky Lab from time to time with my rugby mates. Micky Finn’s also has a good selection (on Woodstock). So, pub crawl it is, lets all do that sometime.

Don’t you guys work out at 24 hour in the Pearl? I was just invited to work out there with one of the trainers (my new training instructor) - maybe I’ll run into your folks…

McMenamin’s Hammerhead Ale is what I enjoyed drinking when I lived in Eugene, but now that I’m back in california, I don’t have a mcmenamin’s. oh well

Rumbach:
Yeah, that’s the 24Hour we train at. We just met Jennifer Blomquist there this past Saturday. We can usually be spotted at the lifting platform waaaaay off in the corner doin’ the usual “stuff” (The Bear, squats, cleans, deads): Friday after 5PM, Saturdays or Sundays after 3PM. Mondays or Tuesdays, 6AM. Pretty soon, we’ll be carrying a box and chains w/ us, too.
Hope to see you there!

Okee dokee on the pub crawl! We live RIGHT up the street from Lucky Lab! Closer to Madisons. Maybe we can convince Ike for a visit of beer-ness, too. Anyone else in Portland up for a T-Beer evening?

BEER. BEEEEEEEEEEEER. BEER.

Hell yeah I’m up for it.

I haven’t had a beer since Christmas and I’m off the diet, need you even ask?

Here’s my two cents on the subject:

1. Best tasting beer:Sam Adams light

2. Best beer to drink all day: Corona Extra with lemon and lime

3. Newest beer i’ve tasted and liked: Red Stripe (Jamaica)

Actually, I brew my own beer. Eveything from a lite pilsner to an oatmeal stout. This way it is always fresh. If I purchase, I prefer a Belgian Trappist ale like Chimay or Orval.

Chimay? Jeeze, I thought it was considerably over-rated. It did not live up to the hype, in mine own eyes. I love dark beers, but the (one) Chimay I had tasted like a 50/50 mix of soy sauce and rubbing alcohol! :slight_smile:

I live by a German beer called Spaten. Unfortunately, it’s become an expensive habit. A somewhat-close second would be Rogue Dead Guy.