Let The Games Begin...

OK kids, I’m here, fire away!

So . . . I hear you like to use 15 minute PR zones. Why not ten, or twenty? Is it because you want sufficient volume, but not turn it into an endurance session?
Thanks.

It’s just something that gradually evolved over the years. I have no problem using 10 minute zones for beginners/deconditioned, and perhaps 20 minutes for large compound exercises however.

That said, (3) 15-minute PR Zones, plus warmups fit nicely into one hour.

[quote]NateN wrote:
So . . . I hear you like to use 15 minute PR zones. Why not ten, or twenty? Is it because you want sufficient volume, but not turn it into an endurance session?
Thanks. [/quote]

Hi Charles:

When is your DVD on Full Body EDT going to ship?

And can you tell me a little about it?

Thanks,
SteamboatGuy

Charles,
CW has really elaborated on the anabolic benefits of increased frequency in training over the last few years. Also, Bryan Haycock (HST here on T-mag) has stated that the more often you can experience an anabolic stimulation from training the better. That being said, how often can one perform EDT for specific bodyparts to capitalize on the 36-48 hour window of anabolic hormonal flux that seems to be a focus in programs today?

Disc Hoss

Charles whats your thoughts on this phrase “Abs tight” I work at a pt/exercise rx stuido and one of the trainers, an ex physist, always yells this at his clients, even if their doing freakin kickbacks.

To quote Mel Siff in a “core” article

“Many muscles in the body are activated in anticipation of a given movement, because this optimises qualities such as the mechanical stiffness and damping ability and enhances movement efficiency.”

So my take is, why force someone to activate their core by yelling “abs tight” when it already has to tighten to do the movement?

whats your take?

[quote]CharlesStaley wrote:
It’s just something that gradually evolved over the years. I have no problem using 10 minute zones for beginners/deconditioned, and perhaps 20 minutes for large compound exercises however.

NateN wrote:
Thanks.

[/quote]

what if you were training with bands? would there be a decrease in PR time zone? such as band squats, pullups, benches, rows, mainly compound, etc…

Thanks for asking, it’ll ship in 10-12 days from now. It’s about 4 hours long, has some straight lecture plus actual demonstration of PR Zones (which helps a lot I think), a Q&A session, and also a section on biomechanics. We’re running a pre-order special but I can’t recall the details. Best bet is call Julianne at 800-519-2492, or get on my e-mail list at myodynamics.com for info when it comes out

[quote]SteamboatGuy wrote:
Hi Charles:

When is your DVD on Full Body EDT going to ship?

And can you tell me a little about it?

Thanks,
SteamboatGuy[/quote]

I think you’re on track with your analysis, however, when facing difficult motor tasks it may help to remind yourself, to give yourself a cue. People do get a bit carried away with this issue though, similar to breathing. Nothing KILLS me more than hearing a trainer say to her client “don’t forget to breathe!”

[quote]bigpump23 wrote:
Charles whats your thoughts on this phrase “Abs tight” I work at a pt/exercise rx stuido and one of the trainers, an ex physist, always yells this at his clients, even if their doing freakin kickbacks.

To quote Mel Siff in a “core” article

“Many muscles in the body are activated in anticipation of a given movement, because this optimises qualities such as the mechanical stiffness and damping ability and enhances movement efficiency.”

So my take is, why force someone to activate their core by yelling “abs tight” when it already has to tighten to do the movement?

whats your take?[/quote]

Well, if you want to maximize frequency (which is a good thing IMO), you need to moderate intensity & volume, and maximize diversity.

At first at least.

If you find lifts that enhance your athletic potential for example, you want to do them af often as possible. But to do this, you have to let the other variables “take a back seat” until your system adjusts to the frequency. Then you can start playing catch-up.

Hope that helps, this is an interesting thread (to me anyway)

[quote]Disc Hoss wrote:
Charles,
CW has really elaborated on the anabolic benefits of increased frequency in training over the last few years. Also, Bryan Haycock (HST here on T-mag) has stated that the more often you can experience an anabolic stimulation from training the better. That being said, how often can one perform EDT for specific bodyparts to capitalize on the 36-48 hour window of anabolic hormonal flux that seems to be a focus in programs today?

Disc Hoss[/quote]

Charles,

Great to have you here…

What do you think of stretch-position isometrics? Do you use them, and if so, what parameters would you use?

I think you’re on track with your analysis, however, when facing difficult motor tasks it may help to remind yourself, to give yourself a cue. People do get a bit carried away with this issue though, similar to breathing. Nothing KILLS me more than hearing a trainer say to her client “don’t forget to breathe!”

/quote]

Thanks CS, but what would your reply be if you heard a trainer yelling “Abs Tight”

I rarely use this. Doesn’t mean it’s without merit though. It could be used to resolve sticking points and/or strengthen a muscle at a sport-specific ROM, etc. Sorry I can’t be more helpful on this issue though…

[quote]ndmosher wrote:
Charles,

Great to have you here…

What do you think of stretch-position isometrics? Do you use them, and if so, what parameters would you use?[/quote]

Well, if you want to maximize frequency (which is a good thing IMO), you need to moderate intensity & volume, and maximize diversity.

At first at least.

If you find lifts that enhance your athletic potential for example, you want to do them af often as possible. But to do this, you have to let the other variables “take a back seat” until your system adjusts to the frequency. Then you can start playing catch-up.

Hope that helps, this is an interesting thread (to me anyway)

Disc Hoss wrote:
Charles,

Disc Hoss

[/quote]

Can you give an idea of where to begin with volume. For example, I’d considered using 2PR Zones of 15 minutes and focusing as such for upper body specialization:

PR 1: Military presses w/ chins or pulldowns

PR 2: Biceps and Triceps.

I’d do these on Tuesday and Saturday, while using Thursday as a maintenance for legs and chest which grow easily for me. This would afford the opportunity to hit an EDT upper body cyle twice per week.

DH

There you are Charles.

Charles, Im training for strongman and need to know what you think about accumulation and intensification phases, more specifically.

Do you think doing an intensification macrocycle should be followed by an accumulation macrocycle or would one macrocycle that started with high volume and eventually tapered off to around half the total volume of the first week (over lets say 6-10 weeks?) be better.

I usually plan my training with a 6 week intensification cycle and a 3 week accumulation cycle, the INT cycle lasts six weeks because I seem to not be able to handle more than 6 weeks of weights over 85% of max (only the last three weeks I use over 90% on all major compound movements) and ACC cycle is three weeks because I feel I lose strength if I keep the weight under 90% of max for time than that.

I basically use the same movments (Overhead presses, squats, rows, pin pulls)in both phases and simply changes the rep/set parameters along with , of course lowering the intensity used on the ACC phase and this is where I also up the frequency.

What type of training planning, in regards to periodization have you found to be most effective?

Amir

Charles,
I’d like to hear you elaborate on your experiences with martial arts. In your newsletter and ebook you talk about some combat sport specific topics, but you rarely get into it for the T-Nation crowd.

How about what art/arts you practice, how you got started and some of your accomplishments with regards to martial arts?

As always, thanks for your time and for contributing here!

-Conor

Coach Staley,

1. What is a SHELC exercise that is mentioned in your “EDT Fat Loss Solution” article?

2. Are prone ball rolls the same as ab wheel rolls using a swiss ball instead of an ab wheel? Prone ball rolls are listed as an exercise in your “EDT: Lose The Fat, Keep The Strength” article found at:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459309

1. If I’m incapable of performing cleans due to wrist & shoulder inflexibility, what would be a good replacement exercise? This is again in reference to the “EDT” Lose The Fat, Keep The Strength" program.

Thank you for your time!

Charles,

I’m unable to get DVD’s where I’m at (damn customs of China has even delayed a Mandarin Language course for more than 2 months). I’m from the states but here for a few more months, then off to another cit in China.

Can you give any insight into a way to how to do EDT for Upper body (specifically Chest and back?).

If it’s a hush-hush secret for the DVD thing, don’t sweat it. Thanks.

TB

[quote]vizunaldth wrote:
CharlesStaley wrote:

[/quote]

what if you were training with bands? would there be a decrease in PR time zone? such as band squats, pullups, benches, rows, mainly compound, etc…

charles,
also, would there be a reduction in training frequency because as i think average joe said “bands knock the crap out of you”

and any other modification that i am not thinking of.

thanks much.

Anything differnet excersies(homemade possibly) that are great for adding mass to the chest besides flat bench and dips?

Also whats best rep range to work the lats in, I want to grow some wings :).