Let Me Try This Again.....

All,

Okay, I used to have a training log: “So Injured, So Old: 600lb DL Before I Die”.

So, here I was in April of 2014:

(Music courtesy of the greatest thrash metal band ever, Cleveland’s own “Soulless”.)

I pulled my 600, so it made no sense to continue the log. Veni, vidi, vici and all that.

I wanted to compete in July 2014 at the WNPF North American Championships where I planned on pulling 600 - 630, crushing the National Record which was standing at 555 pounds for the Men’s, Masters 54 - 59 year old, Raw, 220 pound class.

Then I got pretty sick.

Lost a lot of training time. Went to the contest anyway (my daughter was competing in her first PL meet and I guess it turned into a Father - Daughter lift-tillion.) (She set 3 nat and all 4 state records, thank you very much.) (Prior to me handing off one of her BP attempts, she exhaled 2 lungs full of ammonia into my face, I could not have been more proud.)

Anyway, after spending a accumulated hour or so in the men’s room being sick prior to my flight, and after a ten minute warm up series comprised of a 325, a 415 and a 485 single I went 525 opener, 560 second attempt (below) and I passed on my third as I had gotten my national record (by 5 pounds, hmmmmmm), set the Ohio State record and felt yucky.

(Note: a well bred deadlifter always says “thank you” after receiving the “down” signal. Just sayin’.)

(They gave me a sword.)

So…now I am training for the same contest (by name) scheduled for July 2015.

Please, follow me as I attempt to only fractionally crash and burn.

Most Sincerely,

emskee

I’m very glad you have started another log here, emskee.

I’m interested in the sword. NASA gives swords and belts here.

Good to see you here.

[quote]twojarslave wrote:
I’m very glad you have started another log here, emskee.[/quote]

Thank you.

[quote]kpsnap wrote:
I’m interested in the sword. NASA gives swords and belts here.

Good to see you here.[/quote]

Thank you.

A Katana.

My daughter thought/thinks it’s the coolest thing. She bought a stand for hers. “Anyone can get a trophy; I got a SWORD.”

It was a nice meet. Ron Deamicis, meet director and WNPF vice president is a real nice guy and the contest was very well run, real friendly.

And there were swords.

Looking forward to this. I find your posts very insightful. Did you hook grip that pull?!

[quote]LiftingStrumpet wrote:
Looking forward to this. I find your posts very insightful. Did you hook grip that pull?! [/quote]

Thanks.

No I did not. Hook grips are for strong, athletic people. Europeans for example.

[quote]emskee wrote:

Looking forward to this. I find your posts very insightful. Did you hook grip that pull?! [/quote]

Thanks.

No I did not. Hook grips are for strong, athletic people. Europeans for example.[/quote]

So you pulled 560 double overhand without straps or hook grip? That’s even more impressive!

[quote]emskee wrote:

Thanks.

No I did not. Hook grips are for strong, athletic people. Europeans for example.[/quote]

So you pulled 560 double overhand without straps or hook grip? That’s even more impressive!
[/quote]

OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Okay, I know “hook grip” to mean double overhand using hooking of the thumbs to secure the hand hold. As brought to us by Olympic Lifters.

So in my vernacular, I thought you were asking if I used the “(double overhand) hook grip.”

EDIT: Sorry.

I used a simple mixed grip, left hand under.

Not so impressive now. I’m going to go lie down.

Very strong pull. I look forward to following your progress.

[quote]Crippler56 wrote:
Very strong pull. I look forward to following your progress.[/quote]

Thanks and I’ll be watching you move toward that 600 pound DL you’re looking at.

I want to be just like you when I grow up.

[quote]OldOgre wrote:
I want to be just like you when I grow up.[/quote]

But you seem like such a decent kid. (What are you, 42 and a half?)

Take the higher road my son…

3/27/2015

57 years old, today wearing a blue Under Armor shirt, blue singlet, black Adidas knee socks and black wrestling shoes with black laces, grey briefs courtesy of Fruit of the Loom, black suede lifting belt, double prong. I look sinister. And serious.

Deadlifts

Warmups:

(beltless)
245 x 5
295 x 1
335 x 1
385 x 1
(belt on)
425 x 1

450 x 15 x 1 E(M/2)O(M/2) That’s a single every half minute on the half minute.

335 x 2 x 10 (beltless)

I use deadlifts as deadlift assistance because they so resemble deadlifts

BB ROWS: 155 x 2 x 10 (keep your comments to yourselves)

Tonight I shall recover with 1/2 pound of shrimp, Scotch (Islay Island, you Highland types) whilst Netflixing to The West Wing.

It is GOOD to be back.

This makes me very, very happy.

emskee, just wanted to say awesome lifting and comments. Have you heard of Mike Francis? He is a friend of mine and is deadlifting
805 lbs at 56 years old. I think it’s a great thing to see people staying strong and giving the finger to getting old.

Beast. I want the emskee poster on my garage wall. Keep working.

[quote]emskee wrote:
3/27/2015

57 years old, today wearing a blue Under Armor shirt, blue singlet, black Adidas knee socks and black wrestling shoes with black laces, grey briefs courtesy of Fruit of the Loom, black suede lifting belt, double prong. I look sinister. And serious.

Deadlifts

Warmups:

(beltless)
245 x 5
295 x 1
335 x 1
385 x 1
(belt on)
425 x 1

450 x 15 x 1 E(M/2)O(M/2) That’s a single every half minute on the half minute.

335 x 2 x 10 (beltless)

I use deadlifts as deadlift assistance because they so resemble deadlifts

BB ROWS: 155 x 2 x 10 (keep your comments to yourselves)

Tonight I shall recover with 1/2 pound of shrimp, Scotch (Islay Island, you Highland types) whilst Netflixing to The West Wing.

It is GOOD to be back.

[/quote]

welcome back sir.

Def taking some notes and already applying the EMOM (idea) into my training/log.

[quote]Alpha wrote:
This makes me very, very happy. [/quote]

(…it was your idea…)

Thank you for the nudge.

[quote]gorillavanilla wrote:
emskee, just wanted to say awesome lifting and comments. Have you heard of Mike Francis? He is a friend of mine and is deadlifting
805 lbs at 56 years old. I think it’s a great thing to see people staying strong and giving the finger to getting old. [/quote]

Had to look Mike up. Haven’t really followed PL since maybe 1999. Seriously.

Anyway, here’s to us on the T Nation geriatrics ward.