T Nation

Lessons Learned

‘Learn from the mistakes of others, you can’t live long enough to make them all yourself.’ Eleanor Roosevelt

What have you learned from your training mistakes? Hopefully we can learn something from each other’s cock-ups.

I’ll go first.

Don’t overdo the heavy tricep extensions, you WILL get tricep tendinitis.

and

Don’t chase weight on smith machine squats. The smith machine has plenty of practical uses, heavy squatting is not one of them.

DO NOT OVERWORK YOUR LOWER BACK. If you think it needs it rest, it probably needs a rest.

Flexibility is more important than it seems.

Don’t listen to geared lifters about how to train the powerlifts for raw lifting. Box squatting and bench lockouts will not help.

Progressive overload is the most important thing

If you want arms do curls

Stick with a program for more than 4 weeks and attain a base level of strength before thinking you can do westside.

Awesome concept.

Dont barbell bench press first thing in your workout. Save it for later on once your pecs are fully pumped.(stealing this from Meadows, but after my pec tear issues following it has been a blessing.)

Also, dont listen to other people’s advice about their carb intake and apply it to youself. Just because person X eats Y grams of carbs a day and is lean and your height or build doesnt mean you can eat that many or cut down to that little. Everyone has their own carb tolerance and sensitivity to insulin and you need to find your own sweet spot through trial and error…basically a food log and a measuring tape.

lifting controlled and feeling the muscle work > lifting heavy

stretching + foam rolling every day = critical

diet/nutrition = critical

sleep = critical

getting fat during mass gain phase= not critical

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:
l[/quote]

Just discovered this in the past year. I had heard it a million times before but one day it clicked and opened up a whole world of growth.

Olympic lifts are awesome.

[quote]lemony2j wrote:

l[/quote]

Just discovered this in the past year. I had heard it a million times before but one day it clicked and opened up a whole world of growth.[/quote]

same here. Big changes already after only really concentrating on it for a couple of months.

[quote]Fuzzyapple.Train wrote:
Olympic lifts are awesome. [/quote]

if maximum injury and minimum hypertrophy are your goal

then yes

[quote]HotShot818 wrote:
DO NOT OVERWORK YOUR LOWER BACK. If you think it needs it rest, it probably needs a rest.

Flexibility is more important than it seems.[/quote]

Well said.

Do what works, reject the rest, reflect on your results, learn, repeat.

then yes[/quote]

Lol. That sounds like a reasonable goal for anyone.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

then yes[/quote]

Lol. That sounds like a reasonable goal for anyone. [/quote]

I suppose it was the wrong place for a lesson learned in a bodybuilding forum.

High rep, high frequency pullups on a fixed pullup bar will make your elbows hurt; better to do them on rings so your hands can rotate freely.

[quote]smallmike wrote:
High rep, high frequency pullups on a fixed pullup bar will make your elbows hurt; better to do them on rings so your hands can rotate freely.[/quote]

hello Chad, how are you ? ;-)))))

Mat’

Starchy carbs are not evil.

Mat’

Don’t judge an athlete by the way he APPEARS to be working out. I always used to see guys with impressive physiques with such fast and almost reckless rep schemes, and thought to myself, “How does this guy get that big with such bad form?!”. This lead me to two realizations:

1. Everything in life is psychological, EVERYTHING. That athlete with a fast rep tempo and an almost reckless style of training (In my eyes at the time) most likely had an exceptional mind-muscle connection.

2. Controlled eccentric, forceful concentric contraction with everything you’ve got = guaranteed hypertrophy from a training standpoint

The Bro-split does not work for everyone all the time. My best results ever just by going on a 3 way/5 day split vs 1x bp/wk

Train muscles twice a week, Squat below parallel, Nutrition is key, and Tracking Macros have been my lessons learned in the last year.

You can’t out train a bad diet
You simply don’t burn a lot of calories in the gym unless you are a very advanced trainee, and then you probably are not all that concerned about calories burned
Rep ranges need to be changed frequently
If you hate an exercise, it’s probably pretty good for you
What gets you there may not get your further development-wise
Keep records.
People looking at you and guessing your bodyfat percentage are doing just that. Guessing.
Good honest work won’t kill you.
Entertain the one body part per day crowd, entertain the whole body 3x per week crowd. They want the company and reassurance that there way is best.
Muscles don’t know the load on the bar/pulley, etc. You should know, however, if you are working the target muscles.
Fasting won’t kill you. Yes you can train during a fast