Lessons for Mike Mentzer

Umm… yeah, of course it is. Cow piss is white???

Dan,that was the funniest post I’ve seen in a long time.I just hope you weren’t serious…haha.

I’m sure a lot of you have seen Dorian Yate’s video, Blood and Guts. From watching the tape it becomes clear that Dorian is by no means doing one set. I watched him go through a back workout in 1992 when he was weighing about 280, and many of his “warm-up” sets weren’t more than a rep or two shy of failure. If HIT was really the best way to train, a lot more people would be doing it. Shit, if I could get the same or better results from training for 15-20 minutes once every four or five days, you can bet your ass I would. I’d suddenly have an extra 6 hours in the week to do with as I pleased! HIT is like any other training module out there - effective for a limited time.

I also watched Mike train clients at Gold’s in Venice for parts of 1991 and 1992. I never noticed a single one who grew larger at all, except for a young Japanese kid who was also obviously on a ton of gear at the time (big, boil-like zits all over his back and shoulders). Not to toot my own horn as a trainer, but in the 18 months I worked as a trainer not long ago, every one of my clients who wanted to gain an appreciable amount of muscle mass met their goals. None used anabolics, and most only used protein powders, MRP’s, creatine, and a multivitamin. They all trained on a conventional split routine with two or three sets of 6-12 reps of 2-5 exercises per bodypart. A reasonable amount of volume and frequency seems to work best for all people. (Approximately 30 people that I worked with of both genders and age groups.)

Pat sorry to say it but you are a fool.
Why waist space on this board with such a stupid discussion. The man is dead, let him rest in peace will ya. Put your energy in lifting weights instead of talking crap.

Hi guys, I would like to inject some personal experience into this thread.

1. Mike M – Didn’t know him, but when I ordered HD1 from him years ago, it was late. I called and bitched, and he called me back. Very nice, gave me some tips.
  2. Training – Been there done that. I still think his progams can be a great change of pace, esp if you are pressed for time due to holidays, work, etc. Wouldn’t recommend it long term. You will begin to dread your workouts - and I am one of those who thinks you should enjoy them.
  3. Ayn Rand, etc – Here is where he pisses me off. Mike was not an objectivist, although I am sure he thought he was one. The core of Objectivist philosophy is strict adherence to reality, fearless examination of any and all real evidence, and a total embrace of the scientific method. Anyone who has read Atlas Shrugged ,The Fountainhead, etc. knows what I mean. Mike, far from using the scientific method, went through endless contortions to deny and discredit any evidence from anywhere that was not supportive of his viewpoint. Arnold and others were huge, despite not using his methods? Steroids. HIT doesn’t work for you? You are some sort of “genetic midget of recovery ability” and need to work out once a month, not every other day. His method works for everybody because we all respond the same to stimulus. It doesn’t work for you because you are different, and need a special program.
    His ability to simultaneously hold contradictory concepts as true was amazing. Why does this piss me off? Because I am an Objectivist, and whatever his positive qualities, he gave us a bad name.
  4. Drank his own piss? Please. Sure, he may have been a dogmatic pain in the ass, but I don’t think he was crazy.
    Dave