T Nation

'Less for More' Workout Routine

Hi Chris, first of all I want to say I really like ur ideas of training, and u have been very inspirational for me the last couple of mounths, and I have been reading here on T-Nation allmost everyday.
But I want to know ur opinion on my routine, I want to follow the “less for more”
quote, and I like to keep my workouts short and intense, with a minimalist approach…

I do currently 3 exercises everytime I hit the gym, and I try to hit the gym 3 times a week, but sometimes I feel like I need an extra day off for revovery, so some weeks it’s 2 times…

I have fallen in love with the CleanThrusters (the one Klokov do, from the floor each rep), I really feel like that give me a full body blast…but sometimes I really dont have all that energy to do it, so I alternate between that and the MuscleSnatch, for variation and that the movement is littlebit easier for the lungs, hehe…

so my routine looks like this:

-CleanThrusters / MuscleSnatch
-Pullups
-Dips

And for each exercise I do 4 sets with this system;
Set 1) XXkg x 4-6
Set 2) ==kg x 4-6
Set 3) +5kg x 2-4
Set 4) ==kg x 2-4

And when I can do all the reps on each set, then i bump the weights
up 5kg.

so now I only want ur opinion, and thanks for giving inspiration !!

[quote]VikingFromNorway wrote:
Hi Chris, first of all I want to say I really like ur ideas of training, and u have been very inspirational for me the last couple of mounths, and I have been reading here on T-Nation allmost everyday.
But I want to know ur opinion on my routine, I want to follow the "less for more"
quote, and I like to keep my workouts short and intense, with a minimalist approach…

I do currently 3 exercises everytime I hit the gym, and I try to hit the gym 3 times a week, but sometimes I feel like I need an extra day off for revovery, so some weeks it’s 2 times…

I have fallen in love with the CleanThrusters (the one Klokov do, from the floor each rep), I really feel like that give me a full body blast…but sometimes I really dont have all that energy to do it, so I alternate between that and the MuscleSnatch, for variation and that the movement is littlebit easier for the lungs, hehe…

so my routine looks like this:

-CleanThrusters / MuscleSnatch
-Pullups
-Dips

And for each exercise I do 4 sets with this system;
Set 1) XXkg x 4-6
Set 2) ==kg x 4-6
Set 3) +5kg x 2-4
Set 4) ==kg x 2-4

And when I can do all the reps on each set, then i bump the weights
up 5kg.

so now I only want ur opinion, and thanks for giving inspiration !![/quote]

I like the clean thrusters to, it is a great movement that hits most muscles to some extent. In that regard I do like your approach, very similar to what I believe in (except that I believe in higher frequency). The only drawback from your program is that the legs might get under-stimulated… yes the clean thrusters do involve the legs but unless you are (1) a monster on the overhead press or (2) very weak in the legs, the thrusters will not challenge your legs that much (not strength-wise anyway). So you might need to either do some heavier squats or deadlift from a deficit OR add 2-3 more reps of front squats at the end of your thruster set… for example if you do 4 thrusters, keep the bar on your shoulders and do 2-3 more front squats before ending the set.

[quote]

I like the clean thrusters to, it is a great movement that hits most muscles to some extent. In that regard I do like your approach, very similar to what I believe in (except that I believe in higher frequency). The only drawback from your program is that the legs might get under-stimulated… yes the clean thrusters do involve the legs but unless you are (1) a monster on the overhead press or (2) very weak in the legs, the thrusters will not challenge your legs that much (not strength-wise anyway). So you might need to either do some heavier squats or deadlift from a deficit OR add 2-3 more reps of front squats at the end of your thruster set… for example if you do 4 thrusters, keep the bar on your shoulders and do 2-3 more front squats before ending the set.[/quote]

I actually feel alittle like the (2), I feel like my week spot is the squat portion, but that is because I am very weak at front squat, back squats I am ofcourse stronger, so I believe that if I build up my strnght in front squat I will also become stronger in my back squat, that I will find out later…
I also know that if I do just powerClean-PushPress I can get more weights overhead, so I need to strengthen my quads :slight_smile:
Thanks for the feed back, really apriciate it