T Nation

Lesnar Sorry

Mir was doing his JOB, selling the fight…

There was no need for Brock to take it personally.

Taking it personally or not, Lesnar is doing his job. Watch what happens with the next match that Lesnar is a part of when he defends his BELT. It’ll probably be a large seller because Lesnar may have lost fan base due to that, but he also gained a lot of interest and most likely got a number of fans from the attitude.

Remember the difference that I pointed out between Lesnar and Ortiz,Rampage,etc???

And I would refrain from mentioning Silva in with “unsportsmanlike.” He’s respectful to all his opponents…he leaves that shit in the ring…where it should rightfully be. He’s never acted like an ass AFTER a fight. He recognizes that his performance speaks for itself.

I don’t see this “arrogant prick” persona from Silva that you speak of…I see a fighter that’s confident in his ability…no different from any champ…including GSP.

[quote]greenhopper wrote:
I’m glad you mentioned Anderson Silva. That prick pisses the fuck out of me. He is a cocky, non-classy SOB who’s real personality is lost in translation. I was surprised when no one ever spoke about him not touching gloves with Hendo. I thought that was pretty disrespectful. On top of the language barrier, Dana White continuously talking so highly of him doesn’t help either.

Touching gloves is not mandatory, but it is an acknowledgment that you are doing it for sport and nothing more. Fedor and GSP are excellent examples of good sportsman. They do this to test their skills and never make it personal.

I don’t blame Brock for not touching gloves, because Mir had been running his mouth for months. He made it personal. I personally think it is silly when people talk all this shit before fights and then they touch gloves in the octagon as if they are doing it for sport. It’s for much more than just to test your skills when you have been talking all this trash. It’s not for sport - it’s personal.

Given all of the above, remember that while personality, class, and sportsmanship are all characteristics that would be great for a fighter to have, they are not required. What matters is that you can fight. [/quote]

Ok…how can you not see that you are contradicting yourself? Silva doesn’t touch gloves ONCE with Hendo(WHO TALKED MUCH SHIT) and he’s an arrogant prick…SOB…etc. Brock doesn’t touch gloves…and acts “unsportsmanlike” even AFTER he has tested and proven his skill…yet its ok.

I recognize that Lesnar’s behavior is what it is…but its silly to justify his behavior with apples and oranges comparisons. If his behavior is “justified”…there is no way Silva gets the label of being an unsportsmanlike asshole. Just say that you don’t like Silva…it’s ok…no one will harm you…lol.

Lesnar is a sorry twat yes. But he is a big sorry twat and he is getting better. I look forward to seeing someone knock him clean out but couldn’t care less about his rant after the fight.

I’m not disagreeing I just feel there’s a double standard, I don’t see a need for someone to touch gloves if the other person has been ridiculing you for a year. I don’t see problem with it at all. The media, on the other hand, is always going to ride hard on the flaws of MMA because it’s barbaric in their views.

They have and will continue to attempt to put MMA in a bad light. This weekend was a perfect time for the media to feed off this crap. Some more respect needs to come from them because these guys are modern day gladiators and it’s not about being friends with your opponent, if you are great but if you’re not don’t fake it.

Getting back to the issue, Lesnar may be an ass and unsportsmanlike, but he puts himself out there and is succeeding. By no means is he a favorite of mine but he is climbing the ladder because even though he’s a dickhead he is real about it.

You better take it personally just like any combat/collision sport. If you don’t you will lose. If you lose in MMA you will have wounds to prove it.

All this talk about sportmanship is one thing but to say he is classless because he takes it too personally is ignorant.

Like I said if you aren’t taking it personally you are in the wrong arena, my friend. Chess and checkers are down the road.

[quote]JGerman wrote:
You better take it personally just like any combat/collision sport. If you don’t you will lose. If you lose in MMA you will have wounds to prove it.

All this talk about sportmanship is one thing but to say he is classless because he takes it too personally is ignorant.

Like I said if you aren’t taking it personally you are in the wrong arena, my friend. Chess and checkers are down the road. [/quote]

Its silly to think that fighters don’t take it personal when that gate closes. The fight itself settles whatever hype,trashtalk,etc that goes on…not the other way around.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
greenhopper wrote:
I’m glad you mentioned Anderson Silva. That prick pisses the fuck out of me. He is a cocky, non-classy SOB who’s real personality is lost in translation. I was surprised when no one ever spoke about him not touching gloves with Hendo. I thought that was pretty disrespectful. On top of the language barrier, Dana White continuously talking so highly of him doesn’t help either.

Touching gloves is not mandatory, but it is an acknowledgment that you are doing it for sport and nothing more. Fedor and GSP are excellent examples of good sportsman. They do this to test their skills and never make it personal.

I don’t blame Brock for not touching gloves, because Mir had been running his mouth for months. He made it personal. I personally think it is silly when people talk all this shit before fights and then they touch gloves in the octagon as if they are doing it for sport. It’s for much more than just to test your skills when you have been talking all this trash. It’s not for sport - it’s personal.

Given all of the above, remember that while personality, class, and sportsmanship are all characteristics that would be great for a fighter to have, they are not required. What matters is that you can fight.

Ok…how can you not see that you are contradicting yourself? Silva doesn’t touch gloves ONCE with Hendo(WHO TALKED MUCH SHIT) and he’s an arrogant prick…SOB…etc. Brock doesn’t touch gloves…and acts “unsportsmanlike” even AFTER he has tested and proven his skill…yet its ok.

I recognize that Lesnar’s behavior is what it is…but its silly to justify his behavior with apples and oranges comparisons. If his behavior is “justified”…there is no way Silva gets the label of being an unsportsmanlike asshole. Just say that you don’t like Silva…it’s ok…no one will harm you…lol.[/quote]

Did Hendo talk shit?

[quote]Valor wrote:
Mir was doing his JOB, selling the fight…

There was no need for Brock to take it personally.[/quote]

Yeah and Brock was doing his job, defending the belt.

Mir and Lesnar were both talking before the fight. Big Deal. But MMA is all about respecting the sport and your opponent. Before the fight, no one really wants to be friends and touch gloves ALL the time. But AFTER the fight, you are suppossed to put all that behind you. You have done your job, now show respect for the challenge that was put before you. Lesnar has NO REPSECT for martial arts. He has no real mixed skills. He is a wrestler, like other greats, and a quick straight right hand. THAT’S IT! He is only being dominate because of his ability to takedown and lay on an opponent, hold him and beat him. But hey, do what you got to do to win. I don’t have a problem with that. But you can’t disrespect guys that have way more skill than you, minus the freakish size. Give credit where credit is due Brock. And quit crying about sponsors not paying you! The UFC is paying you enough just to fight! Get The Fuck Over It!

Dan Henderson didn’t do anything that wrong. He took another blow to Bisping right after he hit the ground, before Bisping had a chance to wake up and the referee miss the call. It happens all the time during knockouts! Look at the Machida and Evans fight. Machida kept punding away UNTIL the ref called it, that is what you are suppossed to do! Dan surely got some satisfaction from it, Bisping was runnin his mouth for NO reason. Bisping finaly got exposed as a fluke. He should have lost that fight against Mat Hammil. Bisping got out boxed, then after the (robbed) fight results, he tells Hammil to go back to wrestling? GTFOH!

Final not: St. Pierre is an immortal! Total Domination!

GSP is ridiculously good, but I’d really like to see a rematch with him and alves. Not for any other reason to see if he can learn from his mistakes against GSP, because it seemed he was getting out of some of situations that nobody gets out of against GSP.

I know, I know…it didn’t matter GSP dominated the match but it seemed some of the petty things that fans take for granted Alves was accomplishing. He seemed a little more wirey than I had initially thought when it came to getting away on the ground. But GSP was solid as usual.

Belcher was robbed too, I didn’t see him honestly losing a single round…maybe that’s just me again.

Back to Lesnar, sometimes when emotions are high it’s hard to put that behind you. Not everyone behaves ideally in situations. It’s not an excuse but a reality…you aren’t always going to do the right thing. Let’s see if he learns from it.

John there are quite a few other fighters who don’t have the mixed bag of tricks either. Not to be arguing but if I’m shaquille oneal and no one can stop me from dunking I’m gonna keep dunking, you see that type of situation all across sports.

They say his skill is improving at an alarming rate but until someone makes him show that side I wouldn’t show it. He fights like a grizzly bear and until someone can stop that I’d say keep doing it.

[quote]greenhopper wrote:
Big_Boss wrote:
greenhopper wrote:

Given all of the above, remember that while personality, class, and sportsmanship are all characteristics that would be great for a fighter to have, they are not required. What matters is that you can fight.

I recognize that Lesnar’s behavior is what it is…but its silly to justify his behavior with apples and oranges comparisons. If his behavior is “justified”…there is no way Silva gets the label of being an unsportsmanlike asshole. Just say that you don’t like Silva…it’s ok…no one will harm you…lol.

Did Hendo talk shit? [/quote]

Where have you been?? yes…he talked shit. Even if he didn’t…you still are contradicting your statements.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
greenhopper wrote:
Big_Boss wrote:
greenhopper wrote:

Did Hendo talk shit?

Where have you been?? yes…he talked shit. Even if he didn’t…you still are contradicting your statements.[/quote]

That surprises me. Well if he did indeed talk shit, then Silva not touching gloves is fine. I wouldn’t either. That was my whole argument: it’s alright to not touch gloves if your opponent has been talking smack. It’s silly to be talking trash for weeks and then come fight time and you are being chummy and touching gloves. Either respect your opponent leading up to the fight, if not and you wish to trash talk, then don’t touch gloves.

Yeah, I’m not a big fan of Silva’s personality. He comes accross as arrogant through his body language. This bit is lost in translation I believe. But that is just my opinion. For all I know he could be a humble down to earth guy. T
Thanks for letting me know it was alright for me to express my dislike for him. I was a little worried.

Jcoop…that’s why i said “do what you gotta do to win.” My main argument was that he has (as of right now) a lack of skills to be acting like that in the UFC. Until you prove yourself, which in my opinion he hasn’t, show some effin respect for the sport! Yes, he beat Randy and Mir, but not with skills, just size. I don’t count Herring as being an accomplished win, he didn’t (couldn’t) finish him.

Alves cut way too much weight, i think he was extremely gassed during the fight because of it. I would like to see the rematch and hopefully Alves will look better. I love GSP but i want Alves to step up so he can have a challenge. Alves did a good job when he was able to get Pierre on his back, and even got off the ground a few times. Much respect for that. Not to mention both guys were class acts afterwards.

just my .02

but in the interactions with Biping at conventions and other circles,not tome ntion what I’ve heard from others, all I see and hear is a respectful guy to fans and colleagues. He talks trash to hype fights but outside the cameras he conducts himself well.

Hendo on the other hand I’ve heard is a jerk. and I have yet to meet anyone from team Quest who has a good sportsmanlike attitude.

What I’m getting at is don’t let sound bytes and clips determine who the man is.

And even though I am not a Brock fan, outside of flipping the bird. I have no beef with what he did

Wow Barachiel…unique opinion you have there.

I understand where you’re coming from. It is really hard though to find a guy that size with that strength and that athletic ability all rolled into one. Just like what everyone has said on these forums, he is a genetic freak. That will buy him time to develop moreso.
Onto Henderson, my brother in law may hunt with him this coming fall so I guess a family member will get a solid impression on him.

Tell your family member to get me an autograph. PLEASE? lol (seriously though)

it could really go either way. i think he is sincere, but there also might be some of Dana White’s influence in there too.