T Nation

Lemon Peels?

I happened to run across this bullet point on Wikipedia (no footnote):

“Lemon skins eaten daily have been shown to greatly increase the muscle recovery and anti-catabolic cycles for increased muscle development. Research has shown that 8 oz. of lemon peels is the recommend maximum daily dosage.”

A quick google search didn’t turn up anything right away.

Anyone heard anything like this before?

wouldn’t that just be more vitamin C intake ?

Oddball news to me…

I’ve been at this a long time and I’ve never heard anything like this - not even from one of Pearl’s or Girronda’s old school books.

DJ

LOL, have you tried eating a lemon skin before? Foul.

I call bullshit.

All the more reason to throw some lemon zest in with your salads! Lemon, lime, and orange zest are badass and brighten up a lot of bland dishes. 8oz is a lot of zest though…

You know, smoking banana peels will get you hella high.

The bullet in question has been removed. It was clever vandalism.

[quote]cyph31 wrote:
wouldn’t that just be more vitamin C intake ?[/quote]

Poliquin advocates something like 1500mg of vitamin C post workout to lower cortisol. So the anti-catabolic statement could have some merit. I think anyway, I wouldn’t know how much vit C is in 8 oz of peels.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]abcd1234 wrote:
You know, smoking banana peels will get you hella high. [/quote]

I’ve heard that before… In the anarchist cookbook. I’ve also heard it’s bullshit, like you have to smoke pounds.

Weed isn’t that hard to get anyway…

I make a habit of eating the lemon, peel and all, when I order a diet coke at a restaurant. Hasn’t done a thing for me but people find it entertaining.

[quote]dg401 wrote:
abcd1234 wrote:
You know, smoking banana peels will get you hella high.

I’ve heard that before… In the anarchist cookbook. I’ve also heard it’s bullshit, like you have to smoke pounds.

Weed isn’t that hard to get anyway…[/quote]

Sarcasm’s hard to get through on the internet…

For kicks I searched on PubMed. Nada.

Lots of studies being done on citrus, however. That site is pretty freaking amazing.

And thank goodness smart people are working on better strains of weed, too. These days it’s way better than the crap I was buying in college!

What do you expect? My avatar shows me snowboarding, and I’m posting from SF!