T Nation

Legs Won't Grow at All!

Okay so I’ve focused almost exclusively on my legs for the past two years, I went from squatting 225x5 to 405x5, diet has been in check as well. My quads and hams haven’t grown a bit but my butt has gotten huge. How do I stimulate my legs and keep my glutes from doing all the work?

Front squats

lol maybe you should ditch the squats. Or save them for last or something.

I noticed better results with my legs when I moved to machines.

You could pre-exhaust your quads and hamstrings before you move to a compound movement.

you could focus more on using your muscles rather than moving weight.

i also noticed my legs improving when i moved to higher rep. 5x5 or less just don’t cut it for me. I need to go lighter for like 5 sets of 10

If you’re eating enough this is impossible.

Do you measure your legs at all or go by feel/looks?

Not saying that it’s not possible for the glutes to be dominant, but if you’re eating eating enough and gaining weight things will get bigger at some point.

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:
lol maybe you should ditch the squats. Or save them for last or something.

I noticed better results with my legs when I moved to machines.

You could pre-exhaust your quads and hamstrings before you move to a compound movement.

you could focus more on using your muscles rather than moving weight.

i also noticed my legs improving when i moved to higher rep. 5x5 or less just don’t cut it for me. I need to go lighter for like 5 sets of 10[/quote]

x2. These are a bunch of good ideas.

FST7

10x10 front squats.
Done.

Look up the John meadows leg article
Its awesome with leg size
Try 20 rep squats
Move to machines more like the leg press or hack squats
Front squat
High reps like 10-20
A lot of guys switch over to machines and doing free bar squats last because of your problem
Doing them last helps actually use the legs

30-rep squats did it for me… 2x per week.
Though it takes some serious mental fortitude to pull this off week after week.

Not only did my thighs round out rapidly in 12 weeks, but my conditioning was nothing short of spectacular!

Dissect the leg and attack each part with volume.

[quote]youngster543210 wrote:
Okay so I’ve focused almost exclusively on my legs for the past two years, I went from squatting 225x5 to 405x5, diet has been in check as well.[/quote]
In these past two years, how much has your bodyweight changed?

Pre-exhausting the quads and/or hamstrings would be one route.

What does your current training schedule look like (days, exercises, sets, and reps)?

Just an idea: low reps on squats and RDLs to build strength; higher reps on machine exercises to cause hypertrophy e.g. leg presses, leg curls.

Edit: unless your goal is pure hypertrophy, I guess. In that case, I refer you to paulieserafini.

[quote]youngster543210 wrote:
Okay so I’ve focused almost exclusively on my legs for the past two years, I went from squatting 225x5 to 405x5, diet has been in check as well. My quads and hams haven’t grown a bit but my butt has gotten huge. How do I stimulate my legs and keep my glutes from doing all the work?[/quote]

Have you gained weight? Do you feel your legs working at all when squatting? I’d suggest changing how you squat so that you feel your legs not your glutes working or ditching the squat for a different exercise. Leg presses and hack squats will hit your legs better. You can always keep squatting but at the end of your workout when your legs are already worn out. Your strength will drop at first but it will come back, alongside your big legs.

Do you have any pictures you could post? I have a feeling this might be all in your head. I don’t know anyone that can squat 405x5 and not have decent wheels.

Trying front squats, sissy squats, hack squats, leg press, glute ham raises, stiff legged deads, or unilateral variants such as lunges, split squats, etc.

Legs…

Nice wheels! what ever your doing is working!

Your legs are just fine, dude.

Sheesh! All this THAT?

MOds, can we delete this thread?

lol