Legs and Upper Body Correlation

Pics wouldn’t hurt so that at least you can get an opinion from others about how your legs look compared to your upper body.

Regarding legs - you coul dlower th efrequency, but you can also lower the intensity. Lets say, for example, 10 sets of 8 reps and X pounds leaves your fried and you don’t need to build that much muscle. Well, you could do 3 setx of 8 reps at 80%X pounds and probably recover just fine. It will keep your legs in shape, but not over develop them compared to your upper body.

Do just a little bit of work is usually a whole lot better than doing no work.

Responding to some of the others, I know a guy who really doesn’t need to do legs. It’s not that he has great legs. It’s that he has really good legs compared to his upper body. If he shifted his load so that he worked his upper body 50% harder and the legs 50% less, he would have a much better physique.

I strongly recommend reading through HOOOOOOGEdude1990’s posts. Amusing to say the least.

[quote]McMusclesNHam wrote:
Recovery is what I was getting at. If legs are going to tax my body and lead to slowing down PR’s in upper body lifts Id rather not do them. But if they wont and will help my upper body in some way I could see myself doing them…

[/quote]

Setting new PR’s with legs would, but maintaining muscles doesn’t dig into recovery (at least not much). Just half the volume but keep the intensity up (e.g. if you did 3-4 sets before, do 1-2 sets with the same load).

Besides just the fact that it’s pointless playing catch up later on, your leg training will greatly contribute to better partitioning during a bulk (puts the nutrients in the right places instead of around your ass/waist/legs as much lol).

[quote]its_just_me wrote:

Recovery is what I was getting at. If legs are going to tax my body and lead to slowing down PR’s in upper body lifts Id rather not do them. But if they wont and will help my upper body in some way I could see myself doing them…

[/quote]

Setting new PR’s with legs would, but maintaining muscles doesn’t dig into recovery (at least not much). Just half the volume but keep the intensity up (e.g. if you did 3-4 sets before, do 1-2 sets with the same load).

Besides just the fact that it’s pointless playing catch up later on, your leg training will greatly contribute to better partitioning during a bulk (puts the nutrients in the right places instead of around your ass/waist/legs as much lol).[/quote]

Really? Just from 1-2 sets x2-3 a week?

[quote]jarwhite wrote:

[quote]its_just_me wrote:

[/quote]

Besides just the fact that it’s pointless playing catch up later on, your leg training will greatly contribute to better partitioning during a bulk (puts the nutrients in the right places instead of around your ass/waist/legs as much lol).[/quote]

Really? Just from 1-2 sets x2-3 a week?[/quote]

Depends on your body, but generally yeah. I got good results from something similar (not optimal for complete development bodybuilding-wise, but still worked). Obviously, if a person were lifting girly wieghts it wouldn’t have much effect :slight_smile: I’m talking about onced really well warmed/ramped up though (so some “warmups” could count towards stimulus too…just not draining/too demanding).

Spurred on by this thread, and my own development needs Im considering changing my split.

Currently I train

Monday: Legs
Wednesday: Chest & Shoulders
Friday: Back
Sunday: Arms

Thinking of changing to this one to bring up shoulders and arms while maintaining everything else

Monday: Back, Triceps & Quads
Wednesday: Shoulders, Biceps & Calves
Friday: Chest, Triceps & Hamstrings
Sunday: Shoulders, Biceps & Abs

Anyone tried anything similar? See any major issues with overlap or imbalance? Im aware this one is going to be low in Back volume but there will be hefty amount of Rear Delt work on Shoulder days.

Perhaps this type of split would work for the OP too.

No evidence but imagine you achieve this monstrous upper body the can lift large weights that you strive for. You will look horrendous with smaller legs that you decidedly don’t train. That much is for sure. That should be enough in itself to train them. Anecdotal evidence suggests that you can only increase muscle mass and strength with the increase of nerve force. What better way to increase nerve force then heavy weights your whole body has to support? Also do you really think your body, a precision machine based on homeostasis, will let such a extremely large imbalance continue to no end? I hazard a guess and I think most on here would that those upper body prs will stop if only train your legs 12 times a year…

[quote]Gl;itch.e wrote:
Spurred on by this thread, and my own development needs Im considering changing my split.

Currently I train

Thinking of changing to this one to bring up shoulders and arms while maintaining everything else

Anyone tried anything similar? See any major issues with overlap or imbalance? Im aware this one is going to be low in Back volume but there will be hefty amount of Rear Delt work on Shoulder days.

Perhaps this type of split would work for the OP too.[/quote]

Chest/Bis
Legs
OFF
Shoulders/Tri
OFF
Back
OFF

Or

Chest
Bicep/Quad
OFF
Shoulders/Tri
off
Back/Hams
OFF

yeah, can’t wait to see pics of a guy who doesn’t really train legs.

[quote]alexus wrote:
yeah, can’t wait to see pics of a guy who doesn’t really train legs.[/quote]

it’s not that hard to believe, thick legs run in my family some people are just born like this.

[quote]Gl;itch.e wrote:

[quote]Gl;itch.e wrote:

Currently I train

Perhaps this type of split would work for the OP too.[/quote]

Chest/Bis
Legs
OFF
Shoulders/Tri
OFF
Back
OFF

Or

Chest
Bicep/Quad
OFF
Shoulders/Tri
off
Back/Hams
OFF
[/quote]
[/quote]
Is this what youd plan on using or a suggestion for me? (: If you want an opinion on your own split youd need to tell us what you want/need to bring up the most. For instance Id never need a whole day for chest.

[quote]hastalles wrote:
I strongly recommend reading through HOOOOOOGEdude1990’s posts. Amusing to say the least.[/quote]

LOLOLOLOLOL. Thanks for that. Just in case anyone is wondering, Hugedude claims he is 11.5% body fat as determined by underwater weighing. I’ll just leave you to ponder that.

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/hub/hugedude1990#myForums/thread/2021768/0

Easily one of the biggest douche bags Ive ever seen, a picture does tell a thousand words

and those you and da boyz pics

my god

I look at your picture and want to kill myself, Im sorry if this comes off as mean but you are just too much for my brain to handle

me and da boyz

COME ONNN

[quote]Blackaggar wrote:
http://tnation.T-Nation.com/hub/hugedude1990#myForums/thread/2021768/0

Easily one of the biggest douche bags Ive ever seen, a picture does tell a thousand words

and those you and da boyz pics

my god

I look at your picture and want to kill myself, Im sorry if this comes off as mean but you are just too much for my brain to handle

me and da boyz

COME ONNN[/quote]

Do I…I…I do smell it. Photoshop coming on.

i love his split:

chest, back, bis, tris

Classic

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
i love his split:

chest, back, bis, tris

Classic[/quote]

LMAO

legs??

lolz.

i can only imagine…

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:
Do I…I…I do smell it. Photoshop coming on.[/quote]
No need to photoshop. (creeper stare)

To be honest though it has been 3 and a half years since these pictures.

Guys 22 now if this is even him and not a troll.

After reading a few of his asinine comments I am betting troll.

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:
Do I…I…I do smell it. Photoshop coming on.[/quote]
No need to photoshop. (creeper stare)

To be honest though it has been 3 and a half years since these pictures.

Guys 22 now if this is even him and not a troll.

After reading a few of his asinine comments I am betting troll.[/quote]

Especially his bf % in his thread. If he’s 10-12% them I’m -5% and should be dead.

I have a feeling that the body doesn’t care about balance all that much. Whatever you train will grow