Legs and Cardio

Ever since adding cardio into my program (jump roping, incline treadmill walking, boxing, etc.) My leg strength has gone down the toilet. Despite doing deadlifts, squats, front squats, lunges during leg days. I still can’t seem to get them to grow again. Though I really like how my cardio program is getting rid of the fat.

Any ideas how I can change this and keep the cardio. Any information would be appreciated.

[quote]five-twelve wrote:

Ever since adding cardio into my program (jump roping, incline treadmill walking, boxing, etc.) My leg strength has gone down the toilet. Despite doing deadlifts, squats, front squats, lunges during leg days. I still can’t seem to get them to grow again. Though I really like how my cardio program is getting rid of the fat.

Any ideas how I can change this and keep the cardio. Any information would be appreciated.[/quote]

Check out Waterbury’s article of “Skinny Leg Syndrome”, it more than answers your question. Although I understand the science behind it, I’m not ready to give up cycling. If you are more interested in overall health and fitness than just having huge legs, do both! If huge legs are your thing however, you have to knock off the cardio.

You can keep the cardio and eat more good food.

You won’t lose more fat, so you may want to keep doing what you’re doing until you’re happy with your fat loss, then up your calories until you start gaining.

You probably won’t gain much fat back anyway.

Any ideas how I can change this and keep the cardio. Any information would be appreciated.[/quote]

No, but I’ve got an even better idea:

STOP THE F*CKING CARDIO!!!

… just a thought …

Bastard

[edit: seriously, eat more so you can do more cardio? wtf? that’s the dumbest thing i’ve seen all day.]

I assume by cardio you mean relatively slow, long-duration plodding on a treadmil or similar? 40 mins or so?

If so, I suggest you swap that worthless cardio for something like “GPP ASAP”, or “Running Man” sprinting.

WiZ

[quote]Bastard Guy wrote:

[edit: seriously, eat more so you can do more cardio? wtf? that’s the dumbest thing i’ve seen all day.][/quote]

Well, that’s the smartest thing I’ve written all day. Makes sence if you think about it…for a looooong time.

[edit: seriously, eat more so you can do more cardio? wtf? that’s the dumbest thing i’ve seen all day.][/quote]

Oops, I just re-read what you wrote, and my response would make it look like I agree that I said “eat more so you can do more…”, but that’s not what I said.

I said he can keep the cardio he’s doing now (he already stated that’s what he wanted to do) and eat more than what he’s eating now. I think that should make him grow, no? All else the same, + more good calories = gain in mass.

That is, of course assuming your edit thing was about my first post here.

Do the cardio early in the day, like as far away from your lifting time as possible. Even then, Good Luck.

[quote]SWR-1222D wrote:
Bastard Guy wrote:
[edit: seriously, eat more so you can do more cardio? wtf? that’s the dumbest thing i’ve seen all day.]

Oops, I just re-read what you wrote, and my response would make it look like I agree that I said “eat more so you can do more…”, but that’s not what I said.

I said he can keep the cardio he’s doing now (he already stated that’s what he wanted to do) and eat more than what he’s eating now. I think that should make him grow, no? All else the same, + more good calories = gain in mass.

That is, of course assuming your edit thing was about my first post here.[/quote]

Well, I’m being smartasstic (smart-assed and sarcastic = YET another sniglet … gawsh I rule).

My statements are based on my experiences.

There are several angles to look at this problem. Calories in, calories out, metabolic effects of cardio, metabolic effects of weights, macronutrient break down, and more and more. Look, it is well established here on T-Nation that I don’t know shit, but I can at least get people to think and pull knowledgeable people out of the woodwork.

Losing fat and gaining muscle do not fit easily into the same situation. It’s “doable” but much more the exception than the norm and is usually associated with newbie types. Read body composition articles. They involve lots of weight lifting, a tight diet, and little to no cardio. Look at Shugs VD (but not too close, you might catch something). What does it have? Heavy weights, tight as f*ck diet, and walking. I don’t call walking cardio. Someone much smarter then me pointed out that walking is a form of locomotion and not of exercise.

Strap on an X-Vest and things start to change. Do not strap on a DILFDO.

What am I getting at? I don’t know, other than this. It seems that, for most of us, “cardio” is dead. It just doesn’t work for most of us.

The guy said it himself … his legs are getting weaker! What does that mean? He’s losing muscle and/or he’s frying his CNS. Likely, he’s losing muscle and thus the ability to burn calories at rest … retarding his metabolic capability.

EDT rules. HIIT is in. Tabata’s are hip. Short duration rest intervals rock.

Several of the gurus have said that if someone is fat, it’s because they have a shitty diet. What exactly does that mean? I don’t know, but I bet it’s different for different people … macronutrient ratios, lack of good fats, or maybe just TOO MUCH.

Adding food calories and then taking them away via cardio just seems like balancing the equation while dumping in a bunch of unnecessary negative side effects.

Just think about it guys …

Bastard

SWR-1222D wrote:
Bastard Guy wrote:

That is, of course assuming your edit thing was about my first post here.

Well, I’m being smartasstic (smart-assed and sarcastic = YET another sniglet … gawsh I rule).

My statements are based on my experiences.

There are several angles to look at this problem. Calories in, calories out, metabolic effects of cardio, metabolic effects of weights, macronutrient break down, and more and more. Look, it is well established here on T-Nation that I don’t know shit, but I can at least get people to think and pull knowledgeable people out of the woodwork.

Losing fat and gaining muscle do not fit easily into the same situation. It’s “doable” but much more the exception than the norm and is usually associated with newbie types. Read body composition articles. They involve lots of weight lifting, a tight diet, and little to no cardio. Look at Shugs VD (but not too close, you might catch something). What does it have? Heavy weights, tight as f*ck diet, and walking. I don’t call walking cardio. Someone much smarter then me pointed out that walking is a form of locomotion and not of exercise.

Strap on an X-Vest and things start to change. Do not strap on a DILFDO.

What am I getting at? I don’t know, other than this. It seems that, for most of us, “cardio” is dead. It just doesn’t work for most of us.

The guy said it himself … his legs are getting weaker! What does that mean? He’s losing muscle and/or he’s frying his CNS. Likely, he’s losing muscle and thus the ability to burn calories at rest … retarding his metabolic capability.

EDT rules. HIIT is in. Tabata’s are hip. Short duration rest intervals rock.

Several of the gurus have said that if someone is fat, it’s because they have a shitty diet. What exactly does that mean? I don’t know, but I bet it’s different for different people … macronutrient ratios, lack of good fats, or maybe just TOO MUCH.

Adding food calories and then taking them away via cardio just seems like balancing the equation while dumping in a bunch of unnecessary negative side effects.

Just think about it guys …

Bastard[/quote]

I guess it would depend on how much he enjoys the cardio.

You can think of it like being in the situation of someone who has a very physicaly demanding job and burns a lot of extra calories while working.

He would need to eat more than if he was less active every day if hypertrophy was his goal.

Some people actualy like that cardio stuff…me, I tend to skip out on it when I’m supposed to do it (on off days while doing CW’s routines).

I was just thinking that might be the best way for him if he realy wants to keep the cardio, but I do agree that dropping the cardio (all together, or at least reducing it) would yeild faster results.

Plus I know how you like to get people going, bastard! lol

Thanks for the info!

I will make some adjustments.